Constructing left invariant vector fields on SO(3)

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for constructing a left invariant vector field of the SO(3) rotational algebra using Euler angles and the push-forward method. The conversation also mentions a clear method by Dr. Frederic P. Sculler and the use of stereographic projections in an atlas. The speaker mentions the possibility of using a basis of SO(3) to build the exponential function or taking curves on SO(3) through its generators. The conversation also touches on the similarities between SL(2), SU(2), and SO(3).
Mikeey aleex
hello every one
can one please construct for me left invariant vector field of so(3) rotational algebra using Euler angles ( coordinates ) by using the push-forward of left invariant vector field ? iv'e been searching for a method for over a month , but i did not find any well defined method for my case . i uploaded a pdf the give a direct formula for left invariant vector field , I've been trying to use push-forward method for one parameter subgroup , but i failed

Attachments

• 3-2-1-Eulerangles.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,330
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
Mikeey aleex said:
hello every one
can one please construct for me left invariant vector field of so(3) rotational algebra using Euler angles ( coordinates ) by using the push-forward of left invariant vector field ? iv'e been searching for a method for over a month , but i did not find any well defined method for my case . i uploaded a pdf the give a direct formula for left invariant vector field , I've been trying to use push-forward method for one parameter subgroup , but i failed
You could proceed along the lines
$$
\mathbb{S}^3 \stackrel{\cong_\varphi}{\longrightarrow} \mathbb{U(1,\mathbb{H}}) \stackrel{\cong_\psi}{\longrightarrow} SU(2,\mathbb{C}) \stackrel{Ad}{\longrightarrow} SO(\mathfrak{su(2,\mathbb{C}})) \stackrel{=}{\longrightarrow} SO(3,\mathbb{R})
$$
The first two isomorphisms with
$$
\varphi(x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4)=x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i}+x_3\mathbf{j}+x_4\mathbf{k}
$$
and
$$
\psi(x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i}+x_3\mathbf{j}+x_4\mathbf{k}) = \begin{bmatrix}x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i} & -x_3\mathbf{1}-x_4\mathbf{i} \\x_3\mathbf{1}-x_4\mathbf{i} & x_1\mathbf{1}-x_2\mathbf{i} \end{bmatrix}
$$
are quite easy but the coordinate form of ##Ad## isn't so pleasant, at least in Cartesian coordinates. Maybe it's a better in Euler Coordinates.

fresh_42 said:
You could proceed along the lines
$$
\mathbb{S}^3 \stackrel{\cong_\varphi}{\longrightarrow} \mathbb{U(1,\mathbb{H}}) \stackrel{\cong_\psi}{\longrightarrow} SU(2,\mathbb{C}) \stackrel{Ad}{\longrightarrow} SO(\mathfrak{su(2,\mathbb{C}})) \stackrel{=}{\longrightarrow} SO(3,\mathbb{R})
$$
The first two isomorphisms with
$$
\varphi(x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4)=x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i}+x_3\mathbf{j}+x_4\mathbf{k}
$$
and
$$
\psi(x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i}+x_3\mathbf{j}+x_4\mathbf{k}) = \begin{bmatrix}x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i} & -x_3\mathbf{1}-x_4\mathbf{i} \\x_3\mathbf{1}-x_4\mathbf{i} & x_1\mathbf{1}-x_2\mathbf{i} \end{bmatrix}
$$
are quite easy but the coordinate form of ##Ad## isn't so pleasant, at least in Cartesian coordinates. Maybe it's a better in Euler Coordinates.
i know this method but it's not working very well , there is a clear method by Dr. frederic P. sculler, using push-forward of left invariant vector field in a chart , but the issue is that i can not project the matrix of ( SO(3) group ) in a proper way on a chart . can i do this method for a one parameter subgroup like SO(3) ?
see the videos.

For an atlas you should use the two stereographic projections from the north, resp. the south poles onto the equatorial plane.
Sphere_50-300x220.jpg

I don't really like to watch the four hours of lectures now you linked to. Why don't you go the other way around: take a basis of ##\mathfrak{so}(3)## and build the exponential function with them? Or take some curves (1-parameter subgroups) on ##SO(3)## through its generators and differentiate. So, yes, this method (whatever it is) should apply here, too.

Do you want to prove something or just want to know which the basis vectors, resp. generators are? They can easily be written out.
Or simply note that ##X^\tau X = 1## becomes ##X^\tau + X = 0## and ##\det X = 1## becomes ##\operatorname{trace} X = 0##.
What is done for ##SL(2)## can also be done for ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## in a similar way. Their Dynkin diagrams are all the same, namely ##\circ##.

Attachments

• Sphere_50.jpg
    Sphere_50.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 421

1. What is SO(3)?

SO(3) is a mathematical notation for the special orthogonal group in three dimensions. It is the group of all 3x3 real orthogonal matrices with a determinant of 1.

2. What are left invariant vector fields?

Left invariant vector fields are vector fields on a Lie group that are invariant under left translations. In other words, they remain unchanged when the group elements are multiplied on the left.

3. Why is constructing left invariant vector fields important in SO(3)?

Constructing left invariant vector fields is important in SO(3) because it allows us to understand the group structure and dynamics of rotations in three-dimensional space. These vector fields can also be used to study the Lie algebra of SO(3), which is closely related to its Lie group structure.

4. How are left invariant vector fields constructed on SO(3)?

Left invariant vector fields on SO(3) can be constructed by taking the Lie algebra of SO(3), which consists of skew-symmetric matrices, and using it to generate a basis for the vector fields. These vector fields can then be extended to the whole group using left translations.

5. What are some applications of left invariant vector fields on SO(3)?

Left invariant vector fields on SO(3) have various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and control theory. They are also used in the study of rigid body dynamics and the kinematics of rotating objects.