Construction of a pentagon using only the grid system

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a pentagon without the use of a compass or trigonometry, but only using the grid system. The speaker has successfully constructed a pentagon using this method, with all internal angles within 99% accuracy and adding up to exactly 540 degrees. The value and consequence of this "discovery" is questioned, with the possibility of publishing it in a math journal. However, the construction of a pentagon using a compass and straight-edge is also mentioned, and the speaker is confused about how the other person achieved the construction without a compass. The possibility of using this method in nature is also discussed.
Scotti G
I have found a way to construct a pentagon using only the grid system. The internal angles are all within 99% accuracy and all the angles to the 3rd decimal add up exactly to 540 degrees. This is without the use of a compass and bearing in mind that the internal lines intersect at the ration of phi, it is theoretically impossible to construct a perfect pentagon. Is this "discovery" of any value or consequence?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we are talking about the same thing, I think this is something I tried to do as well. I started with the rules for a compass and straight-edge construction of a pentagon. Then I put the apex on the y-axis and the two adjacent vertices on the x. Then I 'translated' the construction rules into triangles, and then I just went to town pythagorean style. My goal was to do it without using trig. Is this something like what you did?

Thread moved to General Math.

Scotti G said:
Is this "discovery" of any value or consequence?

Not really. It's a neat curiosity though. Maybe you'll even get it published in a journal on Euclidean geometry. But these kinds of constructions (especially approximate ones) haven't been important to mainstream mathematics for decades.

Likes mfb
Scotti G said:
The internal angles are all within 99% accuracy and all the angles to the 3rd decimal add up exactly to 540 degrees.
Internal angles of any 5 edged polygons (pentagons as well as any iregular 5 edged shape) will always add up to precisely 540 degrees.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/interior-angles-polygons.html

Likes Drakkith
Terribly sorry to mention it, but this thread is not about constructing a pentagon using a straight edge and compass. It is (I think) about identifying the Cartesian coordinates which would lie on a circle, and would correspond to the vertices of a regular pentagon without the use of trig.

Of course, for all I know, it could be ridiculously simply to do what I described and Scotti G might be talking about something completely different. But the OP has not checked in since posting, so no clarification on that score yet.

Yes my goal was to construct a pentagon without trig or the use of a compass. What was the accuracy of you angles with your construction? If you say you
started with the rules for a compass and straight-edge construction of a pentagon then you "tried" it without trig but not without a compass.
On a different subject I think my "discovery" could very well be used in nature to construct pentagonal structures such as starfish or flowers as the construction using only a grid system is far more plausible than the use of trig or a compass at atomic level.

I didn't really get that far. And now I'm confused by what you mean by 'without a compass.' Any chance you could share what you did? At least describe it in more detail?

I simply used only the grid system. No trig. no compass. no protractor. " I started with the rules for a compass and straight-edge construction of a pentagon" - you. I started only with the grid and my pip. It took 14 years of persistence but the construction only has 7 lines and you have a pentagon with all the angles within 99% accuracy, to be precise the lowest accurate angle shared by 2 angles is 99.39%. I don't believe a more accurate pentagon could be constructed using only the x and y axis.

What is the grid system?

The grid system is a mathematical concept used to divide a surface into equal squares or rectangles. It is used in many fields, including architecture and engineering, to create precise and accurate designs.

Can a pentagon be constructed using only the grid system?

Yes, a pentagon can be constructed using only the grid system. By properly dividing a surface into equal squares or rectangles, the grid system can be used to create any regular polygon, including a pentagon.

What is the process for constructing a pentagon using the grid system?

The process for constructing a pentagon using the grid system involves dividing a surface into a grid of equal squares or rectangles, then using those grid lines as guides to create a pentagon shape. This can be done by connecting the corners of the squares or rectangles in a specific pattern to form the pentagon.

What are some challenges that may arise when constructing a pentagon using the grid system?

One challenge that may arise when constructing a pentagon using the grid system is ensuring that the grid lines are evenly spaced and aligned. This is important because any errors in the grid lines can result in an irregular pentagon shape. Another challenge may be accurately connecting the corners of the squares or rectangles to form the correct pentagon shape.

Are there any alternative methods for constructing a pentagon?

Yes, there are alternative methods for constructing a pentagon, such as using a compass and straightedge or using specific calculations and angles. However, the grid system is a reliable and efficient method for constructing a pentagon, especially for those who are not familiar with other geometric construction techniques.