Determine the mass of an object using the angle in the system

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics project that involves building a system with a spring, cable, and protractor. The goal is to calculate the mass and weight of an object placed on the platform using geometry and statics concepts. The participants suggest using equations such as ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0, as well as Hooke's law and the cosine rule. They also mention the importance of understanding rotational motion and using the appropriate pivot point for calculating torque. The ultimate goal is to create an Excel Workbook where the angle on the protractor can be inputted to approximate the object's weight.
Santiago Tinelli
<Moderator's note: Moved from another forum and thus no template.>

I have a project from my Mechanics class which consist on building the system on the picture. It has a spring, cable and a protractor. I have to do an approximation of the mass and weight of the object that is put in the platform by using the geometry of the system and statics concepts.

The ultimate goal is to create an Excel Workbook in order to to do the necessary calculations for the weight where I only need to put the measure of the α angle to get an approximation of the object weight.

I was thinking about

Fx = 0 and Fy = 0 but I have to find a way to determine the tension from the left side in terms of the α and the force of the string in terms of its constante and the angle.

Which statics and geometry concepts should I apply to get a good approximation of the mass and weight of the object?

Attachments

• Estatica.jpg
    Estatica.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you make sure you understand how Newton's second law is applied in different directions in statics problems.

ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0 are certainly true, but, as you note, there are forces you don’t know. There are other similar equations, which I feel certain you know, which must also be true and may prove more useful.

CWatters said:
I would suggest you make sure you understand how Newton's second law is applied in different directions in statics problems.

I would use statics equation in x and y but the tension on the the left side is an unknown force and the spring force also.
How should I relate the angle α with the tension on the left and the spring force?

The picture contains a free body diagram I did.

Attachments

• 20181014_210002.jpg
    20181014_210002.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 286
Cutter Ketch said:
ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0 are certainly true, but, as you note, there are forces you don’t know. There are other similar equations, which I feel certain you know, which must also be true and may prove more useful.

Are you thinking about using Hooke's Law on the right side? I was thinking about calculating the spring constant in lab and find a way to determine its force in terms of k, however I can´t think of a way to "connect" the angle α in both sides of the system.

Santiago Tinelli said:
Are you thinking about using Hooke's Law on the right side? I was thinking about calculating the spring constant in lab and find a way to determine its force in terms of k, however I can´t think of a way to "connect" the angle α in both sides of the system.
You can measure AB and BC. Finding AC from α is fairly elementary geometry.

Santiago Tinelli said:

You will certainly have to use Hooke’s law, but that wasn’t the hint. You are using a protractor to measure angle, as in rotation. Yes the sum of the forces equals 0, but what can you say about rotational motion?

Likes CWatters
haruspex said:
You can measure AB and BC. Finding AC from α is fairly elementary geometry.

Which formulas would you use to calculate AB and BC knowing just α angle?

Attachments

• IMG-20181011-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20181011-WA0005.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 262
Cutter Ketch said:
You will certainly have to use Hooke’s law, but that wasn’t the hint. You are using a protractor to measure angle, as in rotation. Yes the sum of the forces equals 0, but what can you say about rotational motion?
Cutter Ketch said:

Rotational motion is restricted and therefore ∑Mo = 0 in any point in the system.

Santiago Tinelli said:
Which formulas would you use to calculate AB and BC knowing just α angle?
The cosine rule.

Santiago Tinelli said:
Rotational motion is restricted and therefore ∑Mo = 0 in any point in the system.

I will assume that by M0 you are indicating torque. Correct. Pick the appropriate pivot, and you will find you can express all of the torques as a function of the angle on the protractor with no unknown forces of constraint. Set them equal to 0 and solve.

Cutter Ketch said:
I will assume that by M0 you are indicating torque. Correct. Pick the appropriate pivot, and you will find you can express all of the torques as a function of the angle on the protractor with no unknown forces of constraint. Set them equal to 0 and solve.

Yes, I was referring to torque. Would it apply to the spring force? I´m sure I need to calculate the spring constant first. If I choose B as pivote then tension on the left side would be eliminated and I would have to work with the weight and the y component of the spring force.

Which would be the best way to express the spring force as a function of α?

haruspex said:
The cosine rule.

That certainly would be useful for the length of each side. However, how can i use the geometry to determine forces?

Santiago Tinelli said:
Yes, I was referring to torque. Would it apply to the spring force? I´m sure I need to calculate the spring constant first. If I choose B as pivote then tension on the left side would be eliminated and I would have to work with the weight and the y component of the spring force.

Which would be the best way to express the spring force as a function of α?

The y component of the spring force? Think again. What is the definition of torque? Also, I don’t think you calculate the spring constant from the picture. The spring constant should be a known input to the calculation.

Cutter Ketch said:
The y component of the spring force? Think again. What is the definition of torque? Also, I don’t think you calculate the spring constant from the picture. The spring constant should be a known input to the calculation.

Moment of a force (torque) measures the tendency of a force F to make a rigid body rotate about a fixed axis directed along a point. I have to find an appropriate pivote point in the system to delete unknown forces.

MO = rFsinθ = Fd

The moment (torque) Mb of the force T about B is 0 since this force passes through B.

The spring constant will be calculated in lab and therefore it will be a known input.

Attachments

• 44065157_2193071777607814_8131730709015429120_n.jpg
    44065157_2193071777607814_8131730709015429120_n.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 276
Santiago Tinelli said:
That certainly would be useful for the length of each side. However, how can i use the geometry to determine forces?
Since you have not posted your whole attempt (as you are supposed to in this forum) it is not clear where you are stuck. Earlier you wrote
Santiago Tinelli said:
I can´t think of a way to "connect" the angle α in both sides of the system.
I interpreted that as meaning you could not figure out the extension of the spring from α. So I suggested the cosine rule.

What is the concept behind determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system?

The concept behind determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system is based on the principles of trigonometry. By measuring the angle at which an object is suspended and knowing the length of the string or lever arm, the mass of the object can be calculated using the equation M = F * L / g, where M is the mass, F is the force applied, L is the length of the string or lever arm, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What materials are needed to determine the mass of an object using the angle in the system?

To determine the mass of an object using the angle in the system, you will need a string or a lever arm, a pivot point, a force meter or scale, and an object whose mass you want to determine. Additional materials such as rulers, protractors, and calculators may also be helpful for taking accurate measurements and performing calculations.

What are the steps involved in determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system?

The steps involved in determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system are as follows:

1. Suspend the object from a pivot point using a string or a lever arm.
  2. Measure the length of the string or lever arm and record it.
  3. Apply a known force to the string or lever arm using a force meter or scale.
  4. Measure the angle at which the string or lever arm is suspended and record it.
  5. Use the equation M = F * L / g to calculate the mass of the object.

What are some potential sources of error when determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system?

Some potential sources of error when determining the mass of an object using the angle in the system include measurement errors, incorrect assumption of a constant acceleration due to gravity, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to minimize these errors.

How accurate is the method of determining mass using the angle in the system?

The accuracy of this method depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made. With careful measurements and consideration of potential sources of error, this method can provide a relatively accurate estimate of an object's mass. However, for highly precise measurements, other methods such as using a balance or scale may be more suitable.