Continuity and Intermediate Value Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions that the speaker has trouble solving. The first question is related to continuity and the second question is related to finding a root of a given equation in an interval. The speaker finds the first question difficult to solve and is still unsure of the last question.
scorpa
Hello everyone,

I have come across two questions that I have solved, but unfortunately am quite sure I've done them incorrectly. They are related to continuity and the intermediate value theorem.

Find the constant c that makes g continuous (-infinity,infinity).

g(x){ x^2-c^2 if x<4
{ cx+20 if x>4

For this question I found that the graphs is continuous from (-infinity,4),[4,infinity] Then I found the limits as x approaches 4 from the left and right. which ended up being 16-c^2 and 4c+20. I then made these expressions equal to each other to solve for the constant c and ended up getting c=-4 and c=8. Neither of these values work, and I'm not quite sure what I should have done.

Use the I.V.T to show that there is a root of the given equation inthe specified interval
tanx=2x (0,1.4)

tanx-2x=0
when f(0) you get 0
When f(1.4) you get 2.99

therefore f(0) <0<f(1.4)

What I did here just seems wrong, there must be more to it than that, but that's all I can get from reading the textbook.

Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You didn't solve for the constant correctly. There is only one possibility for c (i.e. if you're using the quadratic equation, the discriminant b² - 4ac = 0).

2) First of all, 0 is not even in the interval (0, 1.4). And in fact, neither is 1.4. What you did is indeed wrong. Suppose I say we have the function f(x) = x. If your proof is valid, then there is a number c in that interval such that f(c) = 0 because f(0) = 0, f(1) = 1, and f(0) < 0 < f(1). What you need to do is show that there is a in (0, 1.4) such that f(a) < 0, and b in (0, 1.4) such that f(b) > 0. Given that f is continuous on all of the reals, the following would also suffice:

f(0) < 0 and f(c) > 0 for some c in the interval
f(0) > 0 and f(c) < 0 for some c in the interval
f(1.4) < 0 and f(c) > 0 for some c in the interval
f(1.4) > 0 and f(c) < 0 for some c in the interval

The first three cannot be satisfied, but you can show the fourth. However, just to be safe (since you might get questions where f is only defined on the given interval) pick a and b INSIDE the interval (0, 1.4) such that f(a) < 0 and f(b) > 0. Better yet, find a such that f(a) < 0 and b such that f(b) > 0. This should be really easy, it's just a matter of picking numbers and you should be able to draw the graph of the function g(x) = tanx - 2x yourself and see where you can find numbers that do the trick. If you're allowed to use a calculator it should be even easier.

Ok, I figured out the first one, I was just making a stupid mistake, thanks for you help on that. I'm still not sure of the last question, but I will keep at it.Thanks again.

Knowing that f(0)= 0 doesn't help you because it is quite possible that f(x) might just rise from 0 up to f(1.4) without ever being equal to 0 again. And, as AKG pointed out, 0 is not in the interval and so does not count as a solution.

Can you calculate f(1)= tan(1)- 2?

Related to Continuity and Intermediate Value Theorem

What is Continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where the graph of the function is connected without any breaks or holes. In simpler terms, it means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b], then for any value c between f(a) and f(b), there exists at least one point x in the interval [a, b] where f(x) equals c.

How is Continuity related to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a consequence of continuity. It relies on the assumption that the function is continuous on the given interval in order to guarantee the existence of a point with a specific value.

What is the importance of Continuity and the Intermediate Value Theorem in mathematics?

Continuity and the Intermediate Value Theorem are fundamental concepts in calculus and real analysis. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of functions and prove the existence of solutions to equations. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How can Continuity and the Intermediate Value Theorem be applied in real life situations?

Continuity and the Intermediate Value Theorem can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the weather based on past data, estimating the value of a stock based on its past performance, and determining the speed of an object at a given time by analyzing its position over a period of time.