Convergence of Alternating Series and Estimation of Absolute Error

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of $n$ in order to have an absolute error less than $10^{-6}$ for a given alternating series. The participants consider different methods and eventually determine that the smallest $n$ that satisfies the inequality is $n=8$. They also discuss the definition of the $n$-th partial sum for an infinite series.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to determine the value of $n\in \mathbb{N}$ such that the absolute error $$\left |\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}-\sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\right | =\left |\sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\right |$$ is less than $10^{-6}$. Do I have to find an upper bound for the error? But how? I tried the following:
$$\left |\sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\right |\leq \sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty}\left |\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\right |=\sum_{k=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\leq \frac{1}{(2(n+1)+1)\cdot (n+1)!}$$ But this tends to infinity, doesn't it? We have here an alternating series. The sequence $a_k:=\frac{1}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}$ is decreasing. That means that $a_{n+1}$ is greater than every other term of the sum. Is it also bigger than the whole sum? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We have here an alternating series. The sequence $a_k:=\frac{1}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}$ is decreasing. That means that $a_{n+1}$ is greater than every other term of the sum. Is it also bigger than the whole sum? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

The term $a_{k+1}$ is not bigger then the whole sum, but it is bigger than the remaining error of the series up to $a_k$.
See for instance the Formulation of the Alternating series test.

I like Serena said:
The term $a_{k+1}$ is not bigger then the whole sum, but it is bigger than the remaining error of the series up to $a_k$.
See for instance the Formulation of the Alternating series test.

Ah ok! So, we have the following:

\begin{align*}\left |\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}-\sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}\right | & \leq \frac{1}{(2(n+1)+1)\cdot (n+1)!} \\ & =\frac{1}{(2n+2+1)\cdot (n+1)!} \\ & =\frac{1}{(2n+3)\cdot (n+1)!}\end{align*}

Since the error should be less that $10^{-6}$ it must hold \begin{equation*}\frac{1}{(2n+3)\cdot (n+1)!}<10^{-6}\Rightarrow (2n+3)\cdot (n+1)!>10^6\end{equation*} How can we solve this inequality for $n$ ? (Wondering)

How about calculating a number of subsequent values? We should get there pretty quick.
We can choose to keep only 1 or 2 significant digits and round down. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
How about calculating a number of subsequent values? We should get there pretty quick.
We can choose to keep only 1 or 2 significant digits and round down. (Thinking)

I substituted some values of $n$. The smallest $n$ that satisfies that inequality is $n=8$.

Sounds about right. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Sounds about right. (Nod)

(Yes)

One last question to clarify... We have the infinite sum $\displaystyle{\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}}$. Is the $n$-th partial sum $\displaystyle{\sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}}$, i.e. till $k=n$, or $\displaystyle{\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)\cdot k!}}$, i.e., that the sum contains $n$ terms?

(Wondering)

It seems that is not clearly defined.
For instance wiki starts with '... sums of the n first terms of the series, which are called the nth partial sums of the series.'
But in the next section it says that the kth partial sum is from 0 to k.

My view: if we have a sequence of partial sums $s_0, s_1, ..., s_n, ...$, then $s_n$ represents the nth partial sum. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
It seems that is not clearly defined.
For instance wiki starts with '... sums of the n first terms of the series, which are called the nth partial sums of the series.'
But in the next section it says that the kth partial sum is from 0 to k.

My view: if we have a sequence of partial sums $s_0, s_1, ..., s_n, ...$, then $s_n$ represents the nth partial sum. (Thinking)

Ok! Thank you very much! (Handshake)

1. What is absolute error?

Absolute error is a measure of how far off a calculated or estimated value is from the true or actual value. It is the absolute value of the difference between the calculated value and the actual value.

2. How is absolute error calculated?

Absolute error is calculated by subtracting the actual or true value from the estimated or calculated value, and then taking the absolute value of that difference.

3. Can absolute error be negative?

No, absolute error cannot be negative because it is the absolute value of the difference between two values. This means that it is always a positive number.

4. What is the significance of absolute error in scientific research?

Absolute error is an important measure of the accuracy of a scientific measurement or calculation. It helps to assess the level of error or uncertainty in a result and can be used to compare the accuracy of different methods or instruments.

5. How does absolute error differ from relative error?

Absolute error is a measure of the actual difference between two values, while relative error is a measure of the difference between two values relative to the size of those values. Absolute error is expressed in the same units as the original values, while relative error is expressed as a percentage or ratio.