Continuously positive static charged vessel?

In summary, the idea is to use a positively charged container to attract the negatively charged plastic strips from the PP bags. This will reduce the problem of the strips exploding from the container.
one-fish
TL;DR Summary
Seeking ideas how to create a positively static charged open end container to attract negatively static charged plastic items.
Summary: Seeking ideas how to create a positively static charged open end container to attract negatively static charged plastic items.

Hi, I have got a first world problem that I'm trying to overcome. We have a small home based business and sometimes pack a few hundred items at a time using small self sealing PP bags (cheap cello bags). The problem is that the small plastic strips covering the adhesive take on a negative static charge when they are pulled away from the adhesive strip on the PP bags so the bags can be sealed. These waste strips then cling to us (positive static on skin) and are ridiculously difficult to place in a waste container. I'm often flailing violently to try and shake them loose, bringing on laughter from onlookers (well deserved I'm sure). Looking silly isn't really a problem but the extra time spent trying to get rid of these little buggers is.

My idea is to create a positively static charged container of some sort that will attract the negatively charged plastic strips from hell. I know I can do this by rubbing a glass container with a silk cloth but it loses its charge as the negatively charged items come in contact with it, requiring frequent recharging. Can anyone recommend a simple and cost effective way to maintain the positive static charge in the vessel while in use?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
One problem I see is that if you touch the container it will rapidly discharge and then the discarded strips will fly out. If you make it so that it can't discharge when touched it will kill you.

Can you use a vacuum? Some sticky surface? A damp cloth?

BoB

Some kind of well earthed antistatic mat?

People who work with electronic chips often wear a wrist band connected by a wire to Earth ground. That may work for you.

To allow people to be mobile, run the wire down to the sole of your shoe, then use a grounded mat on the floor as @Borek suggestd.

The problem is that the static is generated by the separation of the two pieces of plastic during the removal of the liner. Anti-static straps are designed to bring your body to the same potential as all of the ground points near a work area. It can't discharge non-cunductive strips of plastic.

I just did an experiment and found that a piece of packing tape peeled from a polyethylene bag still attracted itself to my hand when I was grounded with an anti static wrist band.

BoB

• Wow
Likes anorlunda
Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions. My first thought was to use a vacuum but it would run for hours and be rather noisy, so turned my attention towards statically attracting the pieces.

Getting electrocuted by the thing is certainly an undesirable side effect. I'm a bit ignorant of how static all works so please forgive my questions if they seem elementary. If the container is non-conductive (i.e. glass), then is shocking or sudden discharge still a concern? I'm just thinking of possibly using a straight walled glass vase or similar on a turntable with non-moving silk pillow filler packed around it. A friction electrostatic generator of sorts. Is that a bad idea?

We can't really have water around as it will damage other components of the packaging. We do live in the tropics though so there's a fair amount of natural humidity most of the time causing the items to discharge on their own, just not quickly enough. Would it be safe to say that the positively charged container and negatively charged plastic inside it would naturally discharge at similar rates? This might reduce the possibility of the plastic exploding from the container, which BTW they currently repel themselves out of the container, good call BoB.

You must discharge the surface of the insulated strips, or you will have to fight them.

To discharge the strips, dip them in a finger bowl of salt water, maybe with some carefully chosen polar detergent.
To prevent electrostatic charge on the surface of insulators, I wipe the surface with one drop of ethylene glycol = antifreeze, which is hygroscopic, it draws water from the atmosphere and remains conductive (and slightly sticky).

To neutralise negative charged film you need to wash it with positive charged ions from a positive ion generator. The positive ions will be attracted to the negative charges on the tape until it is neutralised. Negative ion generators are easy since they only need to emit electrons, positive ion generators are more difficult and require a discharge. You need to experiment with a balanced charge generator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser
A flame is also a good source of ions. Maybe a candle flame or a gas lighter could help. Pass the static film quickly through the top of the flame and see if it surrenders.

You may find an organic solvent that will be attracted to the surface charge. Put a drop of turpentine or vegetable oil on the charged film, to see if it spreads across the surface, neutralising the charge.

Baluncore said:
I wipe the surface with one drop of ethylene glycol

That must be why many anti-static hand lotions contain polypropylene glycol.

BoB

Maybe anti-static hand lotion could help the OP redistribute the charges?
Experiment with problematic dry hands, then wet hands, when peeling the strip.

Another possible fighting solution would be to have a continuous roll of cheap sticky tape nearby, to attach, hold and dispose of the plastic nuisance bits as they are produced.

Likes rbelli1

1. What is a continuously positive static charged vessel?

A continuously positive static charged vessel is a container or vessel that has a constant positive electric charge present on its surface. This charge is typically created by rubbing or friction, and can be maintained through insulation or grounding.

2. What are the properties of a continuously positive static charged vessel?

The properties of a continuously positive static charged vessel include a constant electric field on its surface, the ability to attract or repel other charged objects, and the potential to discharge if not properly grounded.

3. How is a continuously positive static charged vessel used in scientific research?

A continuously positive static charged vessel is commonly used in experiments to study the effects of electric fields on various materials. It can also be used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from gas streams, and in electrostatic generators to produce high voltages.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with a continuously positive static charged vessel?

When working with a continuously positive static charged vessel, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid electric shocks. It is also important to properly ground the vessel to prevent accidental discharges and to avoid working near flammable materials.

5. How can a continuously positive static charged vessel be neutralized?

A continuously positive static charged vessel can be neutralized by grounding it or by introducing an opposite charge to cancel out the positive charge. This can be done using a grounding wire or by using an ionizing air blower to introduce negative ions.