Continuum hypothesis of fluid mechanics (& relativistic fluids)

In summary, the continuum hypothesis approximation is a way of approximating fluids by assuming that they are made up of discrete particles. This is done at large distances and at large particle numbers, and does not involve the use of classical physics. It can be used to describe relativistic fluids, but one would need to use a microscopic theory to describe the fluid at the smallest scales.
_sr_
Continuum approximation of fluid mechanics (& relativistic fluids)

I have a few 'foundational' questions on fluid mechanics which I haven't been able to find quick answers to, any help would be appreciated.

At the start of any course on fluids, one is told of the continuum [STRIKE]hypothesis[/STRIKE] approximation - at large particle numbers and large enough distance scales, the atomic degrees of freedom become irrelevant and the fluid can be accurately modeled by a continuum.

Q1) Can one start from a microscopic theory and recover the Navier-Stokes equations in the appropriate limit? I know there are some attempts at this - but is there a consensus on the correct way to do it?

Q2) If one wishes to describe a relativistic fluid, can one make a continuum hypothesis ( since lengths are not Lorentz invariant) ? I know that relativistic fluid equations are used to describe e.g. neutron stars. Surely some inertial observers would not see a continuum, and would have to use a microscopic theory to describe the fluid... this seems like it could lead to inconsistencies?

Thanks.

[EDIT] Changed title from ...continuum hypothesis... to ...continuum approximation... .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The term "continuum hypothesis" has a very specific and special meaning to mathematicians, so you should not use the term unless you are reffering to set theory.

Anyway,

A1) You may view fluid dynamics as the statistical mechanics of fluids; however, it can not be derived as the statistical limiting case of an ensemble of classical particles. The statistics of classical mechanics only allows for the description of gasses. Therefore, unless you are very clever, it might be possible to derive the Navier-Stokes equation from quantum (actually chemical) statistics. However, this is not getting you any closer to a Millenium Prize.

A2) The field of relativistic fluid mechanics, to my knowledge, exists and is actually useful. You can define a continuous fluid in relatavistic space-time just as easily as you are able to describe a field (a fluid may be described by a velocity vector field and the scalar pressure field) produced by source densities.

_sr_ said:
<snip>
Q1) Can one start from a microscopic theory and recover the Navier-Stokes equations in the appropriate limit? I know there are some attempts at this - but is there a consensus on the correct way to do it?

The typical approach I have seen begins with the fluctuation-dissipation theorem, but then add thermodynamic potentials, which is a continuum field theory. This is treated well in Chaikin and Lubensky's "Principles of condensed matter physics" and Brenner and Edwards "Macrotransport processes".

_sr_ said:
Q2) If one wishes to describe a relativistic fluid, can one make a continuum hypothesis ( since lengths are not Lorentz invariant) ? I know that relativistic fluid equations are used to describe e.g. neutron stars. Surely some inertial observers would not see a continuum, and would have to use a microscopic theory to describe the fluid... this seems like it could lead to inconsistencies?

I need to get some newer references, all I have that you may like are:

Leaf, B." The continuum in special relativity theory", Phys Rev 84, 345 (1951)
Tolman's "Relativity, thermodynamics, and Cosmology" (Dover)

1. What is the continuum hypothesis in fluid mechanics?

The continuum hypothesis is a fundamental assumption made in fluid mechanics that states that a fluid can be treated as a continuous, homogeneous substance, with properties such as density and velocity varying continuously throughout the fluid. This allows for the use of mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of fluids, rather than considering individual particles.

2. How does the continuum hypothesis apply to relativistic fluids?

In the context of relativistic fluids, the continuum hypothesis extends to the assumption that the fluid behaves as a continuous and homogeneous medium even at high speeds, where relativistic effects such as time dilation and length contraction may come into play. This allows for the use of relativistic equations to describe the behavior of these fluids, such as the relativistic Navier-Stokes equations.

3. What are the limitations of the continuum hypothesis?

The continuum hypothesis is a simplifying assumption that is not always applicable in fluid mechanics. It breaks down at scales where the fluid can no longer be considered continuous, such as at the molecular level. It also does not account for effects such as turbulence and non-Newtonian behavior that may occur in certain fluids.

4. How does the continuum hypothesis relate to the concept of a perfect fluid?

The continuum hypothesis is a key assumption in the theory of perfect fluids, which are idealized fluids that are assumed to have no internal friction or heat transfer. This assumption allows for the use of simplified equations, such as the Euler equations, to describe the behavior of these fluids.

5. Is the continuum hypothesis a proven fact?

No, the continuum hypothesis is a fundamental assumption in fluid mechanics that has not been conclusively proven. However, it has been widely accepted and has been successfully used in a wide range of applications. Some researchers continue to explore its validity and limitations in certain scenarios, such as at very small scales or in extreme conditions.