Contour integration and Calc. of complex functions

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to learn contour integration and complex analysis at a basic level, but struggling due to their limited math education. They are looking for a brief explanation or resource that explains these concepts in simple terms for beginners, specifically for understanding physics. Recommendations for relevant books and explanations are also discussed.
lizzie96
Hello,

I would like to learn some contour integration and complex analysis at the simplest level possible. My maths education only goes up to A Level, so I haven't covered any "calculus of complex functions" yet, and with the books I'm trying to read at the moment I keep getting stuck because I can't do contour integrals in the complex plane. Could anyone give a brief explanation of contour integration, or link to a document that explains it in simple terms for a beginner?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex integration is usually part of a semester long course in complex variables. You usually need exposure to things like Green's Theorem and other vector calculus theorems as a pre-requisite.

You can google "complex integration" and find various hits for relevant techniques.

Thank you. I have had a look at some methods online, but I would like to learn in a little more detail. I have also looked at some lecture notes on the topic, but as I mainly want to learn about it in order to understand physics, it is hard to see which parts are the most relevant. Do you know of any undergraduate-level Mathematical methods books for physicists that explain this well?

Visual Complex Analysis has the best explanation. Two different explanations, one in terms of Riemann sums, and the other in terms of vector fields.

If you just want to be able to apply the techniques, and have some vague intuition about it you could try Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas.

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a technique used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals of complex functions. It involves integrating a function along a specific path or contour in the complex plane.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows us to evaluate complex integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you choose the contour for a given integral?

The contour is usually chosen based on the properties of the function being integrated. Common choices include circles, rectangles, and semicircles, but more complex contours can also be used.

4. Can contour integration be used to solve any type of integral?

No, contour integration is only applicable to integrals of complex functions. It cannot be used to solve integrals of real-valued functions.

5. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental result in complex analysis that relates the value of a function at a point to its values on a contour surrounding that point. It is often used in contour integration to simplify calculations.