Contour integration & the residue theorem

In summary, when one uses a contour integral to evaluate an integral on the real line, for example \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dz}{(1+x)^{3}} is it correct to say that one analytically continues the integrand onto the complex plane and integrate it over a closed contour ##C## (over a semi-circle of radius ##R## closed along the real line between ##-R## and ##R##)?Yes, but you have to show, using Jordan's lemma or otherwise, that the integral over the upper part of the contour does indeed vanish as R goes to infinity.
"Don't panic!"
When one uses a contour integral to evaluate an integral on the real line, for example [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dz}{(1+x)^{3}}[/tex] is it correct to say that one analytically continues the integrand onto the complex plane and integrate it over a closed contour ##C## (over a semi-circle of radius ##R## closed along the real line between ##-R## and ##R##)? In this case [tex]\int_{C}\frac{dz}{(1+z)^{3}}[/tex] which reduces to the original integral on the real line in the limit as the radius tends to infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but you have to show, using Jordan's lemma or otherwise, that the integral over the upper part of the contour does indeed vanish as R goes to infinity.

Geofleur said:
Yes, but you have to show, using Jordan's lemma or otherwise, that the integral over the upper part of the contour does indeed vanish as R goes to infinity.

OK, but it is analytic continuation then, it just happens to be a trivial case where the complex part vanishes in the limit, right?

I think so, but your integrand blows up at x = -1, and analytic continuation and using a semi-circular contour is not going to help that.

Geofleur said:
I think so, but your integrand blows up at x = -1, and analytic continuation and using a semi-circular contour is not going to help that.

Yes, sorry. I made up the integral as I was writing the post and didn't think to check that it worked!

Note that to analytically extend a function, it has to be analytic in the first place. Extending just any old real function into the complex plane is not the same as analytically continuing it. Analytic continuation occurs when you have a Laurent series that only converges in some finite region of the complex plane, and then you use the fact that the function is analytic to extend the domain of applicability of the series beyond its original region of convergence.

Originally, I thought you were talking about specifically ## 1/(1+z)^3 ##, so I had in mind the Laurent series for that, which converges in a circular region of radius 1 centered at the origin. You would analytically continue this function to get outside of that region.

OK, thanks for the info. So, for example, would it be correct to take ##e^{-x}##, which is analytic for all ##x\in\mathbb{R}##, and analytically continue this to ##e^{-z}## which is in turn analytic for all ##z\in\mathbb{C}##?

I think it's OK to call that analytic continuation, because it is extending the domain of an analytic function. Usually the phrase "analytic continuation" is used in the context of extending a function outside the radius of convergence of its Laurent series. Since ## e^{-x} ## has no singularities, its Laurent series has an infinite radius of convergence. At any rate, as long as it's clear what's going on, what we call it is not as important I suppose.

Ah Ok, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for your help!

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical method used to evaluate integrals along a path or contour in the complex plane. It involves extending real-valued integrals to complex-valued integrals and using the residue theorem to calculate the integral.

2. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem states that the value of an integral around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the functions inside the contour. The residue of a function at a point is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in its Laurent series expansion around that point.

3. How is contour integration used in mathematics?

Contour integration is used to solve complex integrals that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. It is also used in complex analysis to study the properties of complex functions and in physics to solve problems involving complex variables.

4. What are some applications of contour integration?

Some common applications of contour integration include calculating definite integrals, solving differential equations, and evaluating improper integrals. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

5. What are the benefits of using contour integration?

Contour integration allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a powerful tool for analyzing complex functions and solving problems in various fields of mathematics and science.