Contradiction between equations of angular momentum

In summary, the Disk equation only works if the center of mass or the center of rotation is the point being studied.
Karol

Homework Statement

Two equal, parallel and opposite forces at at both sides of a horizontal disk that lies on a smooth table, according to the picture.
The mass is m and the moment of inertia is: kmR2
Angular momentum round the center point A:
[tex]2FR=kmR^2 \cdot \alpha[/tex].
Angular momentum round the point B on the outer edge:
[tex]2FR=mR^2(k+1) \cdot \alpha[/tex].
It is clear i will get 2 different angular acceleration [itex]\alpha[/itex], how come?

Homework Equations

M=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
Shteiner's theorem of the parallel axis:
Ib=Ic+mb2

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear that the second equation is wrong, since the first one is right, since it is round a static point.
Maybe i have to compensate, when calculating round point B, for it's acceleration?
How? maybe with D'alamber's sentence?
But then, can i solve only from the point of view of the accelerating system?
I want to solve from the static, inertial system.

Attachments

• angular momentum.jpg
    angular momentum.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karol! :smile:

LP = IPω only works if P is the centre of mass or the centre of rotation.

From the PF Library on angular momentum

about point P, where [itex]\mathbf{v}_P[/itex] is the velocity of the part of the body at position P:

[tex]\mathbf{L}_{P}\ =\ \tilde{I}_{P}\mathbf{\omega}\ +\ m(\mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}-\mathbf{r}_P)\times\mathbf{v}_P[/tex]​

And what if the center of rotation is itself under acceleration?
For example the new picture here.
Can i use L=I[itex]\alpha[/itex] around point B?
A rope is wound around a falling cylinder.

Attachments

• Question 1.jpg
    Question 1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 361
that equation is for a fixed point P,

and vP is the velocity of the (changing) point on the body that happens to be at P

(so no question of P accelerating :wink:)
Can i use L=Iα around point B?

(you mean L = Iω) yes :smile:

but a moment later, B will no longer be the centre of rotation, so you'll have problems finding dL/dt …

it'll be much easier to use the centre of mass! :wink:

I want to make clear when to use equation:
[tex]\mathbf{L}_P\ =\ I_{c.o.m.}\,\mathbf{\omega}\,+\, \mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}\times m\mathbf{v}_{c.o.m.}[/tex]
You have a disk rotating round point A, as in the picture.
Round points A, the center and point B:
[tex]L_A=mR^2(k+1) \cdot \omega[/tex]
[tex]L_{Center}=kmR^2 \cdot \omega[/tex]
[tex]L_B=kmR^2 \cdot \omega \,+\, mR\cdot\sqrt{2}R \cdot \omega[/tex]

About B i am confused, since i don't understand the transition between the equations:
[tex]\mathbf{L}_{P}\ =\ \tilde{I}_{P}\mathbf{\omega}\ +\ m(\mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}-\mathbf{r}_P)\times\mathbf{v}_P[/tex]
And:
[tex]=\ \tilde{I}_{c.o.m.}\mathbf{\omega}\ +\ m(\mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}-\mathbf{r}_P)\times\mathbf{v}_{c.o.m.}[/tex]
In the first we use the moment of inertia and velocity of the moving point P, and in the second-of the center of mass.

Attachments

• Agmon 2D.jpg
    Agmon 2D.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
my computer won't open that .bmp, it says it's corrupt :redface:

I replaced

Hi Karol! :smile:

I'm sorry for the delay … I've been working this out! :redface:

Karol said:
About B i am confused, since i don't understand the transition between the equations:
[tex]\mathbf{L}_{P}\ =\ \tilde{I}_{P}\mathbf{\omega}\ +\ m(\mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}-\mathbf{r}_P)\times\mathbf{v}_P[/tex]
And:
[tex]=\ \tilde{I}_{c.o.m.}\mathbf{\omega}\ +\ m(\mathbf{r}_{c.o.m.}-\mathbf{r}_P)\times\mathbf{v}_{c.o.m.}[/tex]
In the first we use the moment of inertia and velocity of the moving point P, and in the second-of the center of mass.

You're right :smile:, that first equation is far too general

it only applies if P is the centre of rotation and if the axis of rotation stays parallel to a principal axis of the body.

(So this applies, for example, to a sphere or a cylinder rolling over a step, but not to a cone rolling on a plane, or a wheel rolling on a curved rail.)

Thanks for pointing this out. :smile:

I've now corrected the Library entry (and given you the credit!).​

Related to Contradiction between equations of angular momentum

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around an axis. It is important because it is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless an external force acts on the object. This makes it a crucial concept in physics and is used to understand the motion of objects such as planets, atoms, and subatomic particles.

2. What are the equations of angular momentum?

The equations of angular momentum depend on the specific situation and the type of motion being considered. However, the most commonly used equation is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. Another important equation is the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the initial angular momentum of a system is equal to the final angular momentum of the system.

3. Can there be a contradiction between equations of angular momentum?

Yes, there can be a contradiction between equations of angular momentum if the assumptions or conditions used in one equation do not hold true for the other equation. This can also occur if the equations are being applied to different types of motion or systems.

4. How can a contradiction between equations of angular momentum be resolved?

To resolve a contradiction between equations of angular momentum, it is important to carefully analyze the assumptions and conditions used in each equation and ensure that they are consistent. It may also be helpful to consider the physical principles behind the equations and whether they are applicable to the situation being considered.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a contradiction between equations of angular momentum?

Yes, there have been several real-world examples where a contradiction between equations of angular momentum has been observed. For example, in the case of a spinning top, the equations of angular momentum based on classical mechanics do not fully explain its behavior, and the addition of quantum mechanics is necessary to fully understand its motion.