Contravariant derivative of tensor of rank 1

In summary, the covariant derivative of a vector field is given by:##\nabla_k Y^i = \frac{\partial Y^i}{\partial x^k} + \Gamma^i_{jk}Y^j##, where ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## is the connection. Note however, that you do not need to define two coordinate systems to define the connection, all you need is a smooth rank (0,2) tensor field (such as metric). If we have two sets of coordinates such that x1,x2...xnAnd y1,y2,...ymAnd if any yi=f(x1...
Apashanka
If we have two sets of coordinates such that x1,x2...xn
And y1,y2,...ym
And if any yi=f(x1...,xn)(mutually dependent).
Then dyi=(∂yi/∂xj)dxj
Again dyi/dxk=(∂2yi/∂xk∂xj)dxj+∂yi/∂xk
Is it the contravariant derivative of a vector??
Or in general dAi/dxk≠∂Ai/∂xk

Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:

This makes no sence: ##\frac{\partial y^i}{\partial x^k}## is finite whilst ##\frac{\partial^2 y^i}{\partial x^k \partial x^j}dx^j## is infinitessimal. I don't even know what the left-handside quantity is. Perhaps, what you are trying to say is that the covariant derivative of a vector field ##A^i## is given by:

##\nabla_k Y^i = \frac{\partial Y^i}{\partial x^k} + \Gamma^i_{jk}Y^j##, where ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## is the connection. Note however, that you do not need to define two coordinate systems to define the connection, all you need is a smooth rank (0,2) tensor field (such as metric).

Apashanka said:
And y1,y2,...ym
Then dyi=(∂yi/∂xj)dxj
In general dAi/dxk=(∂2Ai/∂xk∂xj)Aj+∂Ai/∂xk
Cryo said:
This makes no sence: ##\frac{\partial y^i}{\partial x^k}## is finite whilst ##\frac{\partial^2 y^i}{\partial x^k \partial x^j}dx^j## is infinitessimal. I don't even know what the left-handside quantity is. Perhaps, what you are trying to say is that the covariant derivative of a vector field ##A^i## is given by:

##\nabla_k Y^i = \frac{\partial Y^i}{\partial x^k} + \Gamma^i_{jk}Y^j##, where ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## is the connection. Note however, that you do not need to define two coordinate systems to define the connection, all you need is a smooth rank (0,2) tensor field (such as metric).
and according to this Γijk=(∂2Ai/∂xk∂xj)
Which turns out to be christoffel symbol??
and covariant derivative is ∇k=d/dxk??

Apashanka said:
And y1,y2,...ym
Then dyi=(∂yi/∂xj)dxj
How is the expression of dyi/dxk
be related to covariant derivative ??

Apashanka said:
Which turns out to be christoffel symbol??
and covariant derivative is ∇k=d/dxk??

I am not sure it is so simple. Your logic works very well if we are on a flat manifold, so you can define some sort of Carthesian coordinates, and then relative to those coordinates you can define other coordinate systems. The Christoffel symbols will then arise naturally.

What happens if you are not on a flat manifold (##\mathcal{M}##)? In this case there may be no single coordinate system that covers the manifold fully. That's not a problem. You can cover different patches of the manifold with different coordinate systems. Then at every point (##p\in \mathcal{M}##) on the manifold you can define a different tangent vector space (##T\mathcal{M}|_p##). However, now it is not trivial how you go from one point to another (##T\mathcal{M}|_{p_1}\to T\mathcal{M}|_{p_2}##). Unless you can define this you cannot differentiate vector fields. So you need to connect vector spaces in some way - that's when you need the connection (##\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta\gamma}##). There is more than one way to define a valid connection, if you use metric tensor to define the connection, then you get Christoffel symbols, but there are other ways too.

I think it is treated very well in Lovelock & Rund "Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles" (Sec 3.3). Another favourite is Bachman "Geometric approach to Differential Forms"

Apashanka said:
How is the expression of dyi/dxk

I don't know. You need to define it. I assume you don't mean partial derivatives. So then what is this geometrically? Is it a collection of 1D curves ( ##\left\{y^{(i)}\right\}## ) which you then differentiate ...

Cryo said:
I am not sure it is so simple. Your logic works very well if we are on a flat manifold, so you can define some sort of Carthesian coordinates, and then relative to those coordinates you can define other coordinate systems. The Christoffel symbols will then arise naturally.

What happens if you are not on a flat manifold (##\mathcal{M}##)? In this case there may be no single coordinate system that covers the manifold fully. That's not a problem. You can cover different patches of the manifold with different coordinate systems. Then at every point (##p\in \mathcal{M}##) on the manifold you can define a different tangent vector space (##T\mathcal{M}|_p##). However, now it is not trivial how you go from one point to another (##T\mathcal{M}|_{p_1}\to T\mathcal{M}|_{p_2}##). Unless you can define this you cannot differentiate vector fields. So you need to connect vector spaces in some way - that's when you need the connection (##\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta\gamma}##). There is more than one way to define a valid connection, if you use metric tensor to define the connection, then you get Christoffel symbols, but there are other ways too.

I think it is treated very well in Lovelock & Rund "Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles" (Sec 3.3). Another favourite is Bachman "Geometric approach to Differential Forms"
thank you very much

I am again raising my question
Representing a point in two set of coordinate system labelled by the coordinates {xn} and {ym} mutually dependent
yi=f({xn})
dyi=(∂yi/∂xj)dxj...(1)
From this we define the transformation rule of a contravariant vector from one set of coordinates to another.
e.g Ai(y)=(∂yi/∂xj)Aj(x)
Now how is the covariant derivative be applied to the above form to get the standard result??
Any proof??

What is your question? How to define a covariant derivative? This is treated in text-books. I gave you a reference. Writing it out here would take too long, and I would probably not be able to do as good of a job as Rund & Lovelock.

Basically, you start with, e.g. a vector field: ##A^i## in coords ##\left\{x^i\right\}## and consider the difference in this vector field as a result of moving along a curve ##x^i=x^i\left(s\right)## by distance ##\delta s##:

##dA^i=\partial_j A^i \dot{x}^j \delta s + \Gamma^i_{jk}A^j \dot{x}^k \delta s##

At this point you know nothing about covariant derivatives, connections etc. All you want is for ##dA^i## to be (1) Tensorial quantity (transform the right way), (2) be linear in ##A^i## and ##\dot{x}^k \delta s##, as normal derivative would be, (3) be related to partial differentiation. The covariant derivative comes later on...

Also, you don't define the transformation rule. You define the vector space - the transformation rules naturally follow from it.

1. What is a contravariant derivative?

A contravariant derivative is a mathematical operation used in differential geometry to calculate how a tensor field changes as one moves along a specified direction. It is a generalization of the concept of directional derivative to higher-dimensional spaces.

2. What is a tensor of rank 1?

A tensor of rank 1, also known as a vector, is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented as an array of numbers or symbols and is used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

3. How is the contravariant derivative of a tensor of rank 1 calculated?

The contravariant derivative of a tensor of rank 1 is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are coefficients that represent the curvature and torsion of a given space. These symbols are used to transform the components of the tensor as one moves along a specified direction.

4. What is the significance of the contravariant derivative in physics?

The contravariant derivative is an important tool in the study of general relativity and other areas of physics that involve curved spacetime. It allows for the calculation of how physical quantities, represented by tensors, change as one moves along a curved path.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the contravariant derivative?

Yes, the contravariant derivative has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and elasticity, among others. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to analyze and manipulate images and videos.