Control of grid connected photovoltaic system

In summary, the conversation is about a final year project on grid-connected systems and the options for implementing it either through hardware or software like MATLAB. The speaker suggests using dSPACE or LabVIEW Real Time, or a DSP/microprocessor development board for an embedded solution. They also mention the availability of resources on grid connecting PV-cells using Simulink in MATLAB.
fan_103
Hi guys,

I am doing a final year project this semester on the above topic. I wanted to know whether to implement hardware or using software like Matlab.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If there's an emphasis on it being grid connected, it would definitely be a huge advantage if you could reprogram the switching behavior of your inverter configuration to test out different control schemes.

You suggested MATLAB, do you have access to a dSPACE system with Simulink integration at your university? It's probably one of the easier real-time platforms to get up and running quickly.

LabVIEW Real Time is also an option if you have some experience with it and like the virtual instrument approach. Your university needs a license for it of course.

A DSP/microprocessor in a development board will also work nicely and would offer the option of producing an embedded solution, if that's something you'd be interested in.

I haven't worked with PV-cells myself, but I'm sure there's a tonne of papers available in the public domain on grid connecting them in all sorts of ways.

Thanks a lot for the reply mate. I want to obtain I-V and P-V characteristic curve using Simulink in matlab. Do you know where I can find the required tutorials!?

1. How does a grid connected photovoltaic system work?

A grid connected photovoltaic system uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. The electricity is then sent to an inverter, which converts it into usable AC power. The power is then sent to the home or business, and any excess power is sent to the grid. The system also includes a meter that tracks the amount of electricity produced and used.

2. What are the main components of a grid connected photovoltaic system?

The main components of a grid connected photovoltaic system include solar panels, an inverter, a meter, and a grid connection. Solar panels are the devices that convert sunlight into electricity. The inverter converts the electricity from DC to AC power. The meter tracks the amount of electricity produced and used. The grid connection allows for excess electricity to be sent back to the grid.

3. How is the output of a grid connected photovoltaic system controlled?

The output of a grid connected photovoltaic system is controlled through the use of an inverter. The inverter monitors the grid voltage and adjusts the output of the system accordingly. This ensures that the system is synchronized with the grid and does not cause any disruptions or power outages.

4. What are the benefits of a grid connected photovoltaic system?

There are several benefits of a grid connected photovoltaic system. Firstly, it allows for the use of clean and renewable energy, reducing the dependence on fossil fuels. It also allows for the generation of electricity at the point of consumption, reducing transmission losses. Additionally, excess electricity can be sold back to the grid, providing potential cost savings for the user.

5. What safety measures should be taken when installing a grid connected photovoltaic system?

Installing a grid connected photovoltaic system requires proper safety measures to ensure the safety of the installer and the system. This includes following all local building and electrical codes, using proper personal protective equipment, and properly grounding the system. It is also important to have the system inspected by a professional before connecting it to the grid.