Control System Doubt: Voltage Transfer Function of Resistor

In summary, the circuit discussed has Vs=1V, R=1Ω, and C=1F. The voltage transfer function of the resistor is Vr(s)/Vs(s)=s/(s+1). At s=∞, the transfer function equals unity due to the capacitor acting as a short and Vs=Vr. At s=-1, the transfer function becomes infinity, which means an exponential voltage or current proportional to exp(σt). The real part σ represents an exponential voltage or current. The Laplace transform is usually unilateral and in this case, the infinite "AC" gain of the circuit is due to the exponential current I=exp(-t).
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Consider the following circuit with Vs=1V,
R=1Ω and C=1F.
upload_2016-3-20_16-49-34.png

The voltage transfer function of the resistor can be written as
Vr(s)/Vs(s)=s/(s+1).
Now I understand s is complex frequency and at s=∞
the transfer function becomes unity since capacitor acts as a short and Vs=Vr. What I don't understand is at s=-1, the TF becomes infinity.
If s=-1 and s=σ+jω, σ=-1 gives TF=∞. What is the meaning of this? What is the general significance of σ? I know jω represents the oscillations in the system but what does the real part σ represent?

Engineering news on Phys.org
σ is for an exponential voltage (or current) proportional to exp(σt).
Consider the current I=exp(-t).
It gives voltages exp(-t) and -exp(-t)+const passing through the resistor and capacitor - so the sum is constant (1 in your case) which means infinite "AC" gain of your circuit.

(but of course it's only in mathematics where a current can be infinite in the past))

Last edited:

1. What is a control system?

A control system is a system that manages, commands, directs, or regulates the behavior of other systems or devices. It consists of various components such as sensors, actuators, controllers, and feedback mechanisms, and is used to maintain a desired output or behavior of the system.

2. What is a voltage transfer function?

A voltage transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage in a control system. It describes how the input voltage is transformed into the output voltage, and is used to analyze and design control systems.

3. What is a resistor and how does it affect the voltage transfer function?

A resistor is an electrical component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. In a control system, a resistor can be used to modify the voltage transfer function by changing the gain or attenuation of the input voltage. This can be done by varying the resistance value of the resistor.

4. How is the voltage transfer function of a resistor calculated?

The voltage transfer function of a resistor can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This ratio is also known as the gain of the resistor, and is represented by the symbol 'H' or 'G'. The gain can be expressed in either magnitude or decibels.

5. What is the significance of the voltage transfer function in control systems?

The voltage transfer function is important in control systems as it provides a quantitative measure of the relationship between the input and output voltages. It is used to analyze the stability and performance of a control system, and is also used in designing and tuning control systems for specific applications.