Control Theory: Derivation of Controllable Canonical Form

In summary: Any help would be much appreciated.In summary, the ## B ## term in the system has a 1 instead of ## b_i ## terms because it is in the ## C ## vector.
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
Question about the derivation of the controllable canonical form for state space systems
Hi,

I was recently being taught a control theory course and was going through a 'derivation' of the controllable canonical form. I have a question about a certain step in the process.

Question: Why does the coefficient ## b_0 ## in front of the ## u(t) ## mean that the output ## y(t) = b_0 y_1 (t) ##? I understand that this probably doesn't make sense at the moment, but below are pictures of the derivation. The last two pictures show the introduction of these ##b_0## and ## b_1 ## constants and I am not sure why including ## b_0 u(t) ## leads to us scaling the output ## y(t) ## by ## b_0 ##? ## u(t) ## is only one component of the expression for ## \frac{d^n y}{dt^n} ##.

In my mind, it is almost as if we have: ## y = c_1 x_1 + c_2 x_2 + x_3 ##. Then, we change the coefficient of ## x_3 ## to ## c_3 ## and are now claiming that ## y ## is scaled by ## c_3 ##. I think I am missing something.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Method:
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.35.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.35.53 AM.png

This is where ## b_0 ## is introduced.
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.36.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.37.34 AM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let ##y## be the solution when ##b_{0}=1##, ie.
##a_{1}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}y = u(t)## Eq (1)

Let ##z## be the solution for arbitrary values of ##b_{0}##
##a_{1}\frac{dz}{dt} + a_{0}z = b_{0}u(t)## Eq (2)

If we set ##z = b_{0}y##, and substitute that into the LHS of Eq (2), we get
##a_{1}\frac{db_{0}y}{dt} + a_{0}b_{0}y##.

Then taking the ##b_{0}## out as a common factor for all the terms, we get
##a_{1}b_{0}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}b_{0}y = b_{0}[a_{1}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}y] = b_{0}u(t)##.

In the above, we have recognized the terms in the square brackets as the LHS of Eq (1), and substituted them with the RHS of Eq (1) to end up with the RHS of Eq (2). So by assuming ##z = b_{0}y##, we've been able to get from the LHS to the RHS of Eq (2), which means that our assumption is consistent with Eq (2).

As the book says, this happens because the terms are linear.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Master1022
atyy said:
Let ##y## be the solution when ##b_{0}=1##, ie.
##a_{1}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}y = u(t)## Eq (1)

Let ##z## be the solution for arbitrary values of ##b_{0}##
##a_{1}\frac{dz}{dt} + a_{0}z = b_{0}u(t)## Eq (2)

If we set ##z = b_{0}y##, and substitute that into the LHS of Eq (2), we get
##a_{1}\frac{db_{0}y}{dt} + a_{0}b_{0}y##.

Then taking the ##b_{0}## out as a common factor for all the terms, we get
##a_{1}b_{0}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}b_{0}y = b_{0}[a_{1}\frac{dy}{dt} + a_{0}y] = b_{0}u(t)##.

In the above, we have recognized the terms in the square brackets as the LHS of Eq (1), and substituted them with the RHS of Eq (1) to end up with the RHS of Eq (2). So by assuming ##z = b_{0}y##, we've been able to get from the LHS to the RHS of Eq (2), which means that our assumption is consistent with Eq (2).

As the book says, this happens because the terms are linear.

Thank you very much @atyy ! That is very clear and makes sense.

Likes atyy
Hi @atyy , sorry to bring this up again. I was just re-visiting this topic and came across this question again. I understand your response to the question. However, I am now wondering: why does the ## B ## term in the system have a 1 instead of ## b_i ## terms? (i.e. shouldn't the ## b_0 ## term be in both the ## B ## and ## C ## matrices/vectors?)

My initial guess is that somehow by having the ## b_i ## terms in the ## C ## vector, this accounts for it, but I am unable to fully convince myself of that.

1. What is the purpose of deriving a controllable canonical form in control theory?

The purpose of deriving a controllable canonical form is to simplify the analysis and design of control systems. This form allows for a more systematic approach to studying the controllability of a system and designing controllers that can achieve desired performance.

2. How is the controllable canonical form derived?

The controllable canonical form is derived by transforming the state-space representation of a system into a specific form where the controllability matrix has a particular structure. This involves using a similarity transformation to convert the original state-space representation into a new set of equations.

3. What are the advantages of using the controllable canonical form?

Using the controllable canonical form has several advantages, including simplifying the analysis and design process, allowing for a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior, and providing a standard form for comparing different control systems.

4. Can any system be transformed into a controllable canonical form?

No, not all systems can be transformed into a controllable canonical form. The system must first meet certain criteria, such as having a finite number of states and inputs, and being linear and time-invariant.

5. How is the controllability of a system determined using the controllable canonical form?

The controllability of a system can be determined by examining the structure of the controllability matrix in the controllable canonical form. If the matrix has full rank, then the system is controllable. If the rank is less than full, then the system is not fully controllable and may require additional control inputs.