Conundrums on energy and graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of kinetic energy, work, and scalars in relation to an object's velocity and direction of movement. It is clarified that kinetic energy is always positive and is a scalar quantity, while work can be negative or positive and is also a scalar. The difference between the two equations for work is explained, with the understanding that F and d are magnitudes of vectors and work is a scalar. The question of whether scalars are magnitudes with signs or absolute values is addressed, with the conclusion that scalars can be positive or negative but do not have direction. The example of an object impacting a spring is used to illustrate the relationship between kinetic energy, work, and direction of movement.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement
Multiple questions that I have regarding concepts.
Relevant Equations
KE=1/2mv^2, W=fdcos(theta), W=fs
1. I wanted to clarify if Kinetic energy is always positive. Since KE = 1/2 mv^2, and m and the square of v is positive. I assume as such.

2. Given that I have a scenario where an object which was traveling at a positive velocity in a certain direction (we take this direction as positive), reverses the direction and travels at a negative velocity similar in magnitude. The KE final and initial would be equal due to KE always being positive. Now, the change in KE would be 0, since both values are equal positive values. However, that is not the case as W = fdcos(theta). And clearly, there must be a force enacted to change the velocity of the object. Assume there is a distance present over which the force acts. Now, the work should be negative as cos(theta) is negative.

Given this, I don't understand what I am supposed to do when writing KE or W. If KE is negative relative to something else, would I write KE = - 1/2 mv^2?

3. W=fdcos(theta) or W=Fs. In the cos theta version, are f and d magnitude/s, vector/s or scalar/s? In the w=fs version, I have the same question.

4. I read somewhere that scalars are simply values. In that case, are scalars magnitudes with signs, rather than just magnitudes? Or is a magnitude being an absolute value a misconception?

5. Say that I have a velocity time graph, and the velocity changes at a certain point. These points of change can not be differentiated can they? Would the end point's slope be undefined as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes kinetic energy is always positive and it is a scalar quantity. Work is also a scalar, and can be negative or positive. You can’t differentiate at a discontinuity in the curve, but in actuality, it is not really a discontinuity because you can’t have an instantaneous change in acceleration, so rather, that point is actually a short curve as the acceleration changes to its new value in a small finite period of time and distance.
Oh you are new here so welcome to PF!

PhanthomJay said:
Yes kinetic energy is always positive and it is a scalar quantity. Work is also a scalar, and can be negative or positive. You can’t differentiate at a discontinuity in the curve, but in actuality, it is not really a discontinuity because you can’t have an instantaneous change in acceleration, so rather, that point is actually a short curve as the acceleration changes to its new value in a small finite period of time and distance.
Oh you are new here so welcome to PF!

What about question 3 and question 4? I've figured out my problem in q2.

3. W=fdcos(theta) or W=Fs. In the cos theta version, are f and d magnitude/s, vector/s or scalar/s? In the w=fs version, I have the same question.
In the first, F and d are the magnitudes of the vectors F and d, respectively, and work is a scalar.in the second, it is W = F.s, the dot product of 2 vectors, which is fscostheta, the same result.
4. I read somewhere that scalars are simply values. In that case, are scalars magnitudes with signs, rather than just magnitudes? Or is a magnitude being an absolute value a misconception?
scalars do not have direction. They can be plus or minus, but the plus or minus signs do not indicate direction. Like temperature is a scalar and it can be above or below 0 degrees C. The confusion may be in the use of the word ‘magnitude’. The magnitude of a vector is it’s absolute value and is a positive number, but the magnitude of a scalar can be positive or negative. Kinetic energy is a scalar always positive because of the squared term, but potential energy is also a scalar which can be positive or negative.

Likes Lnewqban
aspodkfpo said:
2. Given that I have a scenario where an object which was traveling at a positive velocity in a certain direction (we take this direction as positive), reverses the direction and travels at a negative velocity similar in magnitude. The KE final and initial would be equal due to KE always being positive. Now, the change in KE would be 0, since both values are equal positive values. However, that is not the case as W = fdcos(theta). And clearly, there must be a force enacted to change the velocity of the object. Assume there is a distance present over which the force acts. Now, the work should be negative as cos(theta) is negative.

You could think about an object moving in one direction, impacting a spring, compressing the spring until it stops, then being accelerated by the spring back in the opposite direction.

This system starts and ends with the same energy, all the KE of the moving object. The total work done by the spring on the object is zero. Can you see why?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and PhanthomJay
aspodkfpo said:
If you ever get to the point of studying linear algebra, the notions of vectors and of scalars are given a much more formal footing.

Quoting from the article linked above:

"A vector space (also called a linear space) is a collection of objects called vectors, which may be added together and multiplied ("scaled") by numbers, called scalars."

For now (until you get to vector spaces without norms or scalars that are not real numbers):

Scalars can be negative. Magnitudes are always positive (or zero).

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the meaning of "conundrums on energy and graphs"?

"Conundrums on energy and graphs" refers to a set of complex and puzzling problems related to energy production, consumption, and distribution, which are often represented and analyzed using graphs or charts.

2. Why are graphs important in studying energy-related issues?

Graphs provide a visual representation of data and can help identify patterns and trends in energy production, consumption, and distribution. They also allow for easier comparison between different variables and can aid in decision-making processes.

3. What are some common challenges in interpreting energy graphs?

Some common challenges in interpreting energy graphs include understanding the units of measurement, identifying outliers or anomalies, and accounting for different data sources and methodologies used in creating the graphs.

4. How can energy graphs be used to inform policy decisions?

Energy graphs can provide valuable insights and evidence to inform policy decisions related to energy production, consumption, and distribution. They can help identify areas for improvement, track progress towards goals, and evaluate the effectiveness of policies and initiatives.

5. What are some potential future developments in the use of energy graphs?

With the advancement of technology, energy graphs may become more interactive and dynamic, allowing for real-time tracking and analysis. Additionally, there may be a greater focus on incorporating data from renewable energy sources and incorporating social and environmental factors into energy graphs.