Converging Diverging Nozzle problem

In summary, we have determined the Mach numbers at the inlet and exit to be 0.553 and 0.539 respectively, the stagnation pressure ratio across the normal shock to be 1.542, and the location of the shock to be 0.063 meters from the inlet. I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.Best regards,[Your Name]
nakas12

Homework Statement

Air flows through a symmetric converging-diverging nozzle where the cross-sectional area of the nozzle (in meters^2) varies accoding to the relationship:

A(x) = 1.0 - 0.8X +.80X^(2) ; where X is in meters and the nozzle is 1 meter long.

P2/P1 = .90 (there is subsonic inflow) A normal shock also occurs near the exit.

A) Determine the inflow and outflow mach numbers
B) The stagnation pressure ratio across the normal shock
C)The X location of the shock (in meter) from the inflow to the normal shock.

Homework Equations

I have been using the isentropic and normal shock tables to solve this problem which involve ratios of pressures, areas, and temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume Mach number at the throat will be 1
Mth (throat) = 1
L =1
Area of the throat: X=0.5
A(x) = 1.0-0.8(.5) + 0.8(.5^(2)) = 0.8
Throat area: 0.8 = A*

Area of the inlet = 1 = A1

A1/A* = 1.25
From this I find the Mach number at the inlet equal to .5533
M1 = .5533

I honestly need help with only finding the Mach numbers at the inlet and exit. I'm a little confused due to the equation for finding the area given. I could really really use some help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with your problem.

To find the Mach numbers at the inlet and exit, we can use the isentropic relations for compressible flow. The area ratio A1/A* that you have calculated is correct. From this, we can find the Mach number at the inlet using the following equation:

M1 = (A1/A*)^((gamma-1)/2gamma)

Where gamma is the ratio of specific heats, which for air is approximately 1.4.

Plugging in the values, we get:

M1 = (1.25)^((1.4-1)/(2*1.4)) = 0.553

To find the Mach number at the exit, we can use the same equation, but with the ratio of pressures P2/P1 instead of the area ratio A1/A*. Since we know that P2/P1 = 0.9, we get:

M2 = (0.9)^((1.4-1)/(2*1.4)) = 0.539

Now, to find the stagnation pressure ratio across the normal shock, we can use the normal shock relations. The stagnation pressure ratio across a normal shock is given by:

(P02/P01) = ((gamma+1)*M1^2) / ((2+gamma)*M1^2 - (gamma-1))

Where P02/P01 is the ratio of stagnation pressures before and after the shock. Plugging in the values, we get:

(P02/P01) = ((1.4+1)*(0.553^2)) / ((2+1.4)*(0.553^2) - (1.4-1)) = 1.542

Finally, to find the location of the shock, we can use the relation:

X = L * (1 - (M1^2/((gamma+1)*M1^2 + (gamma-1)/2)))

Where X is the location of the shock, L is the length of the nozzle (in this case, 1 meter), and M1 is the Mach number at the inlet. Plugging in the values, we get:

X = 1 * (1 - (0.553^2/((1.4+1)*0.553^2 + (1.4-1)/2))) = 0.

1. What is the purpose of a converging diverging nozzle?

A converging diverging nozzle is used to accelerate a fluid, typically a gas, to supersonic speeds. It is commonly used in rocket engines, jet engines, and other propulsion systems.

2. How does a converging diverging nozzle work?

The nozzle has a converging section where the fluid is accelerated and compressed, followed by a diverging section where the fluid expands and accelerates even further. This allows for efficient conversion of thermal energy into kinetic energy, resulting in a high-speed, high-temperature jet.

3. What factors affect the performance of a converging diverging nozzle?

The performance of a converging diverging nozzle is affected by its geometry, inlet conditions, and the properties of the fluid being used. Additionally, the pressure ratio across the nozzle and any losses due to friction or shockwaves also impact its performance.

4. What is the critical pressure ratio for a converging diverging nozzle?

The critical pressure ratio, also known as the design pressure ratio, is the value at which the flow in the nozzle transitions from subsonic to supersonic. It is an important factor in designing a nozzle for optimal performance.

5. Can a converging diverging nozzle be used for both subsonic and supersonic flows?

Yes, a converging diverging nozzle can be designed to accommodate both subsonic and supersonic flows. By adjusting the geometry and pressure ratio of the nozzle, it can be optimized for different flow conditions.