Converging Lenses Homework: Find the Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lens as a magnifying glass and determining the correct placement of the object in relation to the lens to produce an enlarged image. The equations mentioned include 1/v + 1/u = 1/f and the magnification equation. The speaker is unsure about the correct placement, but notes that an enlarged real image can only be produced if the object distance is lower than the image distance. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use the magnification equation to determine the answer.
FelaKuti

Homework Statement

Poyrgx5Q0.png

Homework Equations

I'm not sure any, perhaps 1/v + 1/u = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I knowp enlargened real images will only be produced if the object distance is lower than the image distance, so that rules out B. Similarly I know that enlargened virtual images can only be produced if the object distance is less than the image distance, so that rules out D.

I'm not sure how to figure whether it's A or C, playing around in applets I can produce an image twice as big under both conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the applets. First decide whether the image is real or virtual. Then use the magnification equation to figure out the answer.

The lens is used as a magnifying glass.
This means that the object is placed where with respect to the lens?

What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of optical lens that has a curved surface and is thicker in the middle than at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens and is used to bend and focus light rays to form an image.

How do you find the solution for converging lenses homework?

To find the solution for converging lenses homework, you need to use the lens equation, which is 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance. You also need to know the magnification equation, which is M = -di/do. By plugging in the given values and solving for the unknowns, you can find the solution for your homework.

What is the difference between a real and virtual image in converging lenses?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image is an image that cannot be projected. In converging lenses, a real image is formed when the object is placed beyond the focal point, while a virtual image is formed when the object is placed between the lens and the focal point.

What is the significance of the focal length in converging lenses?

The focal length is the distance between the lens and the focal point. It is a crucial parameter in converging lenses as it determines the magnification and the position of the image. A shorter focal length results in a larger magnification, while a longer focal length results in a smaller magnification.

What are some common applications of converging lenses?

Converging lenses have a wide range of applications, including in cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and eyeglasses. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as spectacles, projectors, and binoculars. In addition, converging lenses are used in laser technology and in the production of holograms.