Conversion of g acceleration into "body weight"

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula to convert vertical peak acceleration values in units of g to ground reaction forces in units of body weight (BW). The formula is derived using Newton's 2nd law, which states that force (F) equals mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). The formula is BW = [acceleration measured / Earth gravity] +1, where the acceleration measured is coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground. The conversation also clarifies that this formula is only applicable for linear acceleration and does not take into account Earth's gravity.
tjvv
Hi guys,

I have a table with vertical peak acceleration values [g] and I want to find out a formula that convert the [g] values into ground reaction forces in units of body weight (BW). I think Newton´s 2nd law (F = m x a) may help but I am stuck on finding a generic relationship (problem is that I do not have the body mass values...)

Example: peak acceleration of a walking person is 2 "g". How much is it in terms of body weights?

Activity [g] [Body weight]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Walking 2 ?
Jumping 5 ?Thank you!

tjvv

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tjvv said:
I have a table with vertical peak acceleration values [g]
Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground, or proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures?

tjvv said:
and I want to find out a formula that convert the [g] values into "body weights".
You mean the vertical ground reaction force (VGRF) needed to achieve that vertical acceleration?

VGRF[BW] = PA[g] = CA+1[g]

tjvv said:
Hi guys,

I have a table with vertical peak acceleration values [g] and I want to find out a formula that convert the [g] values into ground reaction forces in units of body weight (BW). I think Newton´s 2nd law (F = m x a) may help but I am stuck on finding a generic relationship (problem is that I do not have the body mass values...)

Example: peak acceleration of a walking person is 2 "g". How much is it in terms of body weights?

Activity [g] [Body weight]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Walking 2 ?
Jumping 5 ?Thank you!

tjvv
Body weight is a force so to express body weight in terms of acceleration you would have to multiply by the body's mass.

g = 9.8 m/sec2. The body weight of a person of mass M (in kg) is Mg =9.8M Newtons.

So a person walking horizontally and accelerating horizontally at 2g = 19.6 m/sec2 would have to exert a force of 2Mg = 19.6M Newtons, where M=mass of the person.

AM

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground, or proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures?
I mean proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures.

A.T. said:
You mean the vertical ground reaction force (VGRF) needed to achieve that vertical acceleration?
Yes, when I mean bodyweight it is the vertical ground reaction force.

Since it is a force we can put in Newton´s 2nd law (F=m * a):

F = [(m * acceleration measured) / (m * Earth acceleration)] + 1 //+1 is to consider only linear acceleration (excluding Earth gravity)
BW = [acceleration measured / Earth gravity] +1

So in the example from the table above:

BW = [2 / 10] +1 //considering gravity as 10m/s2 to simplify
BW = 0.2 +1
BW = 1.2 which means the force of walking would be 1.2 times the body weight of a person

General formula would be this: BW = [acceleration measured / Earth gravity] +1

Is this correct?

tjvv said:
I mean proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures.
General formula would be this: BW = [acceleration measured / Earth gravity] +1

Is this correct?
If "acceleration measured" is proper acceleration then you don't need that "+1". See my formula in post #2.

Hi AT,

sorry I meant Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground (since it excludes the Earth gravity).

So from your formula it means that to convert a G force into BW it is just sum the measured g force with earth´s gravity?
Example:
BW = CA+1[g]
BW = 2 + 1
BW = 3 (getting the initial table example, would mean that the force acting when people is walking would be 3 times person´s body weight)

Can you please confirm?

Thanks

tjvv said:
Hi AT,

sorry I meant Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground (since it excludes the Earth gravity).

So from your formula it means that to convert a G force into BW it is just sum the measured g force with earth´s gravity?
Example:
BW = CA+1[g]
BW = 2 + 1
BW = 3 (getting the initial table example, would mean that the force acting when people is walking would be 3 times person´s body weight)

Can you please confirm?

To accelerate your center of mass at 2g upwards, relative to the ground, you have to apply 3 times your body weight to the ground. But you don't have such high accelerations during walking.

tjvv said:
Hi AT,

Just to add to what AT has said, if you think of the acceleration provided by a 100 m. sprinter running the 100 m. dash in 10.4 seconds and taking 1 second to get up to a speed of 10 m/sec, the acceleration is only 1 g. I think that is pretty close to the maximum horizontal human acceleration you are going to see.

AM

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Andrew Mason said:
Just to add to what AT has said, if you think of the acceleration provided by a 100 m. sprinter running the 100 m. dash in 10.4 seconds and taking 1 second to get up to a speed of 10 m/sec, the acceleration is only 1 g. I think that is pretty close to the maximum horizontal human acceleration you are going to see.
He is asking about vertical accelerations, which can be higher for a fraction of a second during landing impact (jumping, running fast). But during normal walking the vertical ground reaction doesn't go much beyond 1 body weight, so the vertical acceleration is a small fraction of 1g.

What is g acceleration?

G acceleration, or gravitational acceleration, is a measure of the acceleration due to gravity on a freely falling object. It is typically represented by the symbol "g" and has a constant value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

How is g acceleration related to body weight?

G acceleration is directly related to an object's weight. The weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the value of g acceleration. This means that as g acceleration increases, so does an object's weight.

How do you convert g acceleration into body weight?

To convert g acceleration into body weight, you simply need to multiply the g value by the mass of the object. This will give you the weight of the object in newtons. If you want the weight in other units, such as pounds or kilograms, you will need to use a conversion factor.

Why is it important to understand the conversion of g acceleration into body weight?

Understanding the relationship between g acceleration and body weight is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports science. It allows us to accurately measure and calculate the forces acting on objects and the human body, which is crucial for safety, performance, and design purposes.

Is g acceleration the same for all objects?

No, g acceleration can vary depending on the mass and distance from the center of the Earth. It also varies on other planets and celestial bodies. However, for most everyday calculations, a value of 9.8 m/s2 is used as an approximation for g acceleration on Earth.