Conversion of Galvanometer to Ammeter

In summary: Sorry for the confusion. You can decrease the range of an ammeter by connecting it to a coil. However, the range can never be decreased. There is no practical limit to the range of an ammeter.
Ilikecereal
This is kind of a stupid question but...to measure high currents, a galvanometer is connected parallel to a shunt resistance so that most of the current passes through the shunt resistance but only a small amount of current passes through the galvanometer. But wouldn't this defeat the purpose of measuring a large current? Since only a small current is being measured. :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as measuring a known portion of the current. Anyway, you can easily figure out what the large current is from the measurement. When measuring the current in a power line, it is very inconvenient and costly to flow the entire current (at a high voltage) through your meter.

Pretty much all Ammeters are actually galvanometers with a shunt. Or galvanometers connected to coils to measure the magnetic field caused by the current.

How would you figure out the larger current? Won't the values of the two be different?

Sorry, I'm a little confused here

Say you have a galvanometer with a resistance of 1 ohm. You make your shunt 1 ohm as well. Then half of the current goes each way. Your meter measures half the current, so you multiply it by 2 to get the whole current. Usually the shunt resistance is made smaller so only a tenth, hundredth or thousandth of the current goes through the meter.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks!

Most welcome! I forgot to mention convenience. When you need a meter to measure current, you don't need to order one specifically for the range required. Any meter will work with the correct shunt. A meter with multiple current ranges just switches in different shunts. Very handy!

can the range of an ammeter be decreased ?
@Delphi51 in the above comment you said that we don't need ammeter of a particular range . i comprehend that as by connecting a shunt the range can be increased . but for a given purticular ammeter is there any way that the range might be decreased ... i referred a book which says that the range can never be decreased but one of my mentors says that the range can be increased . HELP

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of converting a galvanometer to an ammeter?

Converting a galvanometer to an ammeter allows for the measurement of larger currents. A galvanometer is only sensitive to small currents, but by adding a shunt resistor, it can be transformed into an ammeter that can measure larger currents accurately.

2. How is a galvanometer converted to an ammeter?

To convert a galvanometer to an ammeter, a shunt resistor is connected in parallel with the galvanometer. The shunt resistor provides a known resistance in the circuit, allowing for the calculation of current using Ohm's law.

3. What is the formula for calculating the current using a converted galvanometer?

The formula for calculating current using a converted galvanometer is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage across the shunt resistor, and R is the resistance of the shunt resistor. This formula is derived from Ohm's law.

4. Can any galvanometer be converted to an ammeter?

No, not all galvanometers can be converted to ammeters. Some galvanometers may not have a linear scale or may have a limited range of measurement, making them unsuitable for conversion. It is important to carefully select a galvanometer with the appropriate specifications for conversion.

5. Are there any limitations to using a converted galvanometer as an ammeter?

Yes, there are limitations to using a converted galvanometer as an ammeter. The shunt resistor must have a very low resistance to minimize its effect on the circuit, and the connections must be made carefully to avoid introducing errors. Additionally, the converted galvanometer will have a limited range of measurement, depending on the sensitivity of the original galvanometer and the value of the shunt resistor.