Convert 2x2 Matrix to 1x1 Tensor

In summary: It's ##M^{ab} g_{bc}={M^a}_c##, and whenever two indices are the same (where one must be an upper and the other necessarily a lower index) you sum over ##a## (in GR from 0 to 3).
Vitani1
TL;DR Summary
Trying to figure out how to transform tensors appropriately.
If I have a matrix representing a 2nd order tensor (2 2) and I want to convert this matrix from M$$\textsuperscript{ab}$$ to $$M\textsubscript{b}\textsuperscript{a}$$ what do I do? I'm given the matrix elements for the 2x2 tensor. When applying the metric tensor to this matrix I understand symbolically how to get this 1st tank tensor but I don't understand how to write it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry - these should be proper super/subscripts.

To write subscripts and superscripts use _ and ^. To get ##M^{ab}## use M^{ab}. To get ##M^a{}_b## do M^a{}_b (the empty {} produce a zero width blank which the subscript hangs off - missing it out gives ##M^a_b##).

Applying the metric tensor to a rank-2 tensor doesn't give you a rank-1 tensor - it gives you a (1,1) tensor, which is also a rank-2 tensor. If you are representing the components in a matrix, it's still a 4×4 matrix. If you know how to write the expression, do you understand the Einstein summation convention? If so, can you write out explicitly what the ##\mu\nu## component of the result is in terms of a sum of products of the components of ##M## and the metric?

@Vitani1 I'm confused about what you are trying to do. Are you trying to raise an index on the tensor ##M##? Or are you trying to compute its trace, which is a scalar?

Raising an index, which is what is implied by your saying you want to convert the matrix from ##M_{ab}## to ##M_a{}^b##, would look like this:

$$
M_{ab} \ g^{bc} = M_a{}^c
$$

Taking the trace, which is what is implied by your saying you want to convert the matrix to a 1 x 1 tensor, which is a scalar, would look like this:

$$
M_{ab} \ g^{ab}
$$

Likes vanhees71
The first thing you stated is correct. Say I have a tensor Mab (superscripts) and I apply this metric tensor to this matrix to lower one of its indices - how would I multiply this result out?

Vitani1 said:
Say I have a tensor Mab (superscripts) and I apply this metric tensor to this matrix to lower one of its indices - how would I multiply this result out?

So you have ##M^{ab} \ g_{bc} = M^a{}_c## [Edit: fixed] in the standard notation using the Einstein summation convention. Do you understand how that convention works?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I take this to mean I multiply this matrix by a scalar given by the metric tensor g?

No.

Do you understand the Einstein summation convention?

Likes Vitani1
I guess not. I'll look it up. Thank you.

PeterDonis said:
So you have

Shouldn't it be ##M^{a}{}_{c}##?

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
PeterDonis said:
So you have ##M^{ab} \ g_{bc} = M_{ac}## in the standard notation using the Einstein summation convention. Do you understand how that convention works?
It's ##M^{ab} g_{bc}={M^a}_c##, and whenever two indices are the same (where one must be an upper and the other necessarily a lower index) you sum over ##a## (in GR from 0 to 3).

The metric components ##g_{ab}## are used to convert an upper index (contravariant) to a lower index (covariant).

Solved. Thanks! By the way there is a nice problem about this in A First Course In General Relativity by Schutz (Chapter 3, problem 24)

weirdoguy said:
Shouldn't it be ##M^{a}{}_{c}##?

Yes, you're right, I'll fix the post.

1. What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers arranged in 2 rows and 2 columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations.

2. What is a 1x1 tensor?

A 1x1 tensor is a single number or value that can be represented as a 1x1 matrix. It is a fundamental unit in tensor analysis and is used to represent scalars in mathematics and physics.

3. Why would you want to convert a 2x2 matrix to a 1x1 tensor?

Converting a 2x2 matrix to a 1x1 tensor can be useful in simplifying calculations and representing data in a more concise form. It can also help in understanding the relationship between the elements of the matrix and how they contribute to the overall tensor value.

4. How do you convert a 2x2 matrix to a 1x1 tensor?

To convert a 2x2 matrix to a 1x1 tensor, you can simply multiply the elements of the matrix together and the resulting product will be the tensor value. For example, if the matrix is [2 3; 4 5], the tensor value would be 2*3*4*5 = 120.

5. Can a 2x2 matrix always be converted to a 1x1 tensor?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can always be converted to a 1x1 tensor as long as all the elements in the matrix are numbers. However, the resulting tensor value may not always be meaningful in the context of the problem being solved.