Convert sunlight to electricity in a given area

In summary, if the area of Lake Mead were covered with solar panels that could convert sunlight directly to electricity with 15% efficiency, 6.74*10^11 Watts of power could be produced.
Revicted

Homework Statement

Question: Lake Mead is formed by the Hoover Dam, and while it actually changes in area and volume, consider it has an average area of 100,000 acres. Assume that 250 W/m^2 of sunlight falls on Lake Mead, how much electricity could be produced if this lake area was covered by solar voltaic cells that convert sunlight directly to electricity with 15% efficiency?

Homework Equations

1 Acre = 4046.85642 Square Meter

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the amount of electricity that could be produced in this area, so I know that the final answer needs to be in Watts. This means I need to find a way to cancel out the m^2 in a conversion.

Here is the conversion I attempted to cancel out the acres and square meters:
(100,000 acres)*(4046.85642 m^2)*(250W) = 1.012*10^11W

That number is assuming 100% efficiency. So to account for the 15% efficiency of the solar panels:
(1.012*10^11)/.15 = 6.74*10^11W

I don't feel very confident in this answer, but I'm not quite sure what I am missing or what I am doing wrong. Any nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are essentially correct with one minor issue in a middle step: The units in the middle of your computation. The conversion factor should be 1 = 4046 m^2/acre and the power per area should have units of 250 W/m^2. In general you can treat units exactly like you do variables to find out the unit of a product or division. Since 4046 m^2 is 1 acre, 4046 m^2/1 acre = 1 acre / 1 acre = 1 and you can multiply anything with it and get the same thing.

Oh yes, sorry, I left that out on here. That is actually how I have it written out in the conversion on my paper in order to cancel out the units. Otherwise everything looks correct?

Revicted said:
I am trying to find the amount of electricity that could be prodThat number is assuming 100% efficiency. So to account for the 15% efficiency of the solar panels:
(1.012*10^11)/.15 = 6.74*10^11W

Sorry, I missed this at first read through. The 15% efficiency means you only get 15% of the power out of the system. You therefore need to multiply by 0.15 rather than divide by it. Otherwise it is what I would have done assuming the actual numbers are correct.

Makes sense. Not sure why I divided there. Thanks so much!

1. How does converting sunlight to electricity work?

Solar panels, also known as photovoltaic (PV) cells, are made up of silicon and other materials that absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity. When sunlight hits the PV cells, it knocks electrons loose from the atoms in the material, creating an electrical current.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of converting sunlight to electricity?

The efficiency of converting sunlight to electricity depends on factors such as the quality and type of PV cells, the angle and orientation of the solar panels, and the amount of sunlight that reaches the panels. Other factors such as temperature, shading, and dust or debris on the panels can also affect efficiency.

3. How much energy can be generated by converting sunlight to electricity in a given area?

The amount of energy that can be generated by converting sunlight to electricity depends on the size and efficiency of the solar panels, as well as the amount of sunlight that reaches the panels. Generally, a square meter of solar panel in a sunny area can produce about 100-200 watts of power.

4. Can converting sunlight to electricity be used to power an entire area?

Yes, it is possible to use solar energy to power an entire area. However, the amount of energy generated will depend on the size of the solar panel installation and the amount of sunlight that reaches the panels. It may also be necessary to have a backup energy source for times when there is not enough sunlight.

5. What are the environmental benefits of converting sunlight to electricity?

Converting sunlight to electricity through solar energy is a clean and renewable source of energy. It does not produce any greenhouse gas emissions or air pollution, making it better for the environment. It also helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, which are finite resources.