Converting 243 to Base 3 Using the Digit 5 | Number Systems Homework

• Thread starter gEOdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the problem is asking to convert 243 from decimal to base n, where n is calculated using the digit 5. The formula provided to calculate n is n = d % 6 + 2, but plugging in d=5 does not result in n=3. It is unclear why the digit 5 is given as (d) and why the example uses different numbers. More clarification or information is needed to accurately calculate n.
gEOdude

Homework Statement

243 is a decimal number. You must convert it to base n, where n will be computed using the
digit (d) 5.
For example if your digit (d) was "7" , then n is
calculated as :n = d % 6 + 2 (where d = 7) = 7%6 + 2 = 3

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

n = d % 6 + 2 (where d=5) = 5%6 + 2 = 3

243 to the base of 3 =

Physics news on Phys.org
d is given? Or does it come from somewhere else?
You used the example of d=7, I'm not sure if that was the idea of the homework problem.

mfb said:
d is given? Or does it come from somewhere else?
You used the example of d=7, I'm not sure if that was the idea of the homework problem.
d is given as 5. But when i plug it into the formula to calculate n i keep getting 3. I am probably wrong because I am not calculating it right. I am not having any difficulty with anything else, just that bit. So if i can get some assistance on calculating n with d=5 then I will be fine. Thanks.

gEOdude said:
d is given as 5. But when i plug it into the formula to calculate n i keep getting 3. I am probably wrong because I am not calculating it right. I am not having any difficulty with anything else, just that bit. So if i can get some assistance on calculating n with d=5 then I will be fine. Thanks.

All I know is 24310 = 35

Using place-value, 1000003 = 1×35 + 0×34 + 0×33 + 0×32 + 0×31 + 0×30

DId i calculate n right? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I CALCULATED N RIGHT OR IF IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG. PLEASE!

gEOdude said:
DId i calculate n right?
Beats me. I don't understand the question or the formula you posted. Can you provide a reference or other information?

gEOdude said:

Homework Statement

243 is a decimal number. You must convert it to base n, where n will be computed using the
digit (d) 5.
For example if your digit (d) was "7" , then n is
calculated as :n = d % 6 + 2 (where d = 7) = 7%6 + 2 = 3
If this is the full and exact problem statement, it is very odd.

If you plug d=5 into the formula then n won't be 3.

This is indeed very strange.
You seem to have two distinct questions:
- convert a number into a different base, base n. This is very simple, so I don't think you have a problem here.
- find out what number n is. That is difficult because no one has defined n for you, just given an example using numbers conjured out of thin air!

The statement of the problem is odd to me: if n is to be computed from 5, why say (d)? And in your example, it is computed from 7, 6 and 2. If this really means (d), 6 and 2, why is 7 given a name (d) and 6 and 2 are not given names?

DId i calculate n right? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I CALCULATED N RIGHT OR IF IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG. PLEASE!

So I can't tell you if you used the right formula. Using the formula you gave as an example,
:n = d % 6 + 2
and assuming % means modulo and : means nothing, then
5 % 6 + 2 <> 3 so your calculation is in error.
if % means integer division and : means nothing, then
5 % 6 + 2 <> 3 so your calculation is in error.

I can't tell which of these is the correct error, since 7 mod 6 = 1 and int( 7/6) =1 so your % could be either, but this is where your calculation seems to err, unless you can suggest another meaning for the % symbol or the : symbol.

Likes BvU

1. How do I convert 243 to Base 3 using the digit 5?

To convert 243 to Base 3 using the digit 5, you will need to use the algorithm for converting a number from decimal to another base. First, divide 243 by 3, which equals 81 with a remainder of 0. Then, divide 81 by 3, which equals 27 with a remainder of 0. Next, divide 27 by 3, which equals 9 with a remainder of 0. Then, divide 9 by 3, which equals 3 with a remainder of 0. Finally, divide 3 by 3, which equals 1 with a remainder of 0. The remainders, in reverse order, form the converted number, so in this case, the number would be 00005.

2. What is Base 3?

Base 3, also known as ternary, is a number system that uses three digits: 0, 1, and 2. In this system, each digit represents a different power of 3. For example, in Base 3, the number 10 would represent 3^1 + 0*3^0, which is equal to 3. This system is used in computer science and digital electronics.

3. Why is the digit 5 used in converting 243 to Base 3?

The digit 5 is used in converting 243 to Base 3 because it is the largest digit in Base 3. This means that when converting from decimal to Base 3, using the digit 5 allows for the most efficient use of digits and minimizes the length of the converted number.

4. How is converting to different bases useful?

Converting to different bases is useful in many areas, including computer science, digital electronics, and mathematics. In computer science, different bases are used in programming to represent binary and hexadecimal numbers. In digital electronics, different bases are used to represent the states of electronic switches. In mathematics, converting between bases can help simplify complex calculations and patterns.

5. Is there a shortcut for converting from decimal to Base 3 using the digit 5?

Yes, there is a shortcut for converting from decimal to Base 3 using the digit 5. First, subtract 1 from the decimal number. Then, keep dividing the result by 3 and writing down the remainders until you reach 0. Once you have all the remainders, add 5 to each of them and reverse the order. This will give you the converted number in Base 3 using the digit 5.