How Do You Convert Daily Caloric Intake to Watts?

In summary, the conversation is about converting food calories to watts using the power equation. The average person in the United States consumes 3000 food calories per day and the question is asking for the average power of this energy intake. The attempted solution involves converting calories to joules and then using the power equation to calculate the answer. However, there is a mistake in the conversion as the nutritional calorie is actually 1000 calories of physics, so the result needs to be multiplied by 1000.
Simrin530
[SOLVED] converting calories to watts HELP please

I've tried this problem six times and this is what I keep coming up with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize this is a very simple simple problem but why this is not working for me I do not know. Again Thank You very much for helping!

1. Homework Statement [/b]
In the United States, the average person eats about 3000 food calories per day. What is the average power of this energy intake?
a. 14.5 watts
b. 145 watts
c. 1450 watts
d. 14,500 watts

1 cal = 4.184 J
1 J = 1 N x m
Power equation (watts) = work (J)/time(seconds)

The Attempt at a Solution

4.184 J/1 cal x 3000 cal = 12552 J/ (24 hrs x 60 min/hr x 60 sec/min) = 12552 J
12552 J/ 86400 sec = 0.1452 watts

Physics news on Phys.org
The nutritional calorie is actually 1000 calorie of Physics. Multiply the result by 1000.

Your solution is correct! Great job on using the correct conversion factors and power equation. It's important to keep track of the units and make sure they cancel out to give you the correct unit of watts. Good luck with your future calculations!

1. How do I convert calories to watts?

To convert calories to watts, you can use the formula: 1 calorie = 0.001163 watts.

2. What is the difference between calories and watts?

Calories and watts are two different units of measurement. Calories measure the amount of energy in food, while watts measure the rate at which energy is used or produced.

3. Why would I need to convert calories to watts?

You may need to convert calories to watts if you want to compare the energy output of different activities or if you want to understand the energy efficiency of a particular device.

4. Can I use an online calculator to convert calories to watts?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help you convert calories to watts. Just make sure to double check the results and use a reliable source.

5. Are there any other units I can use to measure energy besides calories and watts?

Yes, there are other units of energy measurement such as joules, BTUs, and kilowatt-hours. Each unit is used for different purposes and may require conversion to compare to calories or watts.