Converting Cartesian to Cylindrical/Spherical Unit Vectors

In summary: Apparently you already know: in polar coordinates, the vector from the origin to a point on the unit circle at angle φ is represented by the vector \boldsymbol{\hat \rho}. The vector \boldsymbol{\hat\rho} can be seen as the result of a rotation of \mathbf{\hat x} over an angle of φ. Similarly, the vector \mathbf{\hat y} is the result of a rotation of \boldsymbol{\hat \phi} over an angle of φ-θ. To get the inverse of this, we use the rotation matrix R: R = \begin{pmatrix}\cos φ & -\sin φ \\ \
queenstudy
can i get some help in how i can convert from cartesian to cylindrical and spherical unit vectors and vice versa ? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
i mean with proofs because i already read that website page

queenstudy said:
i mean with proofs because i already read that website page

Hmm, well, you can basically read them directly off the drawing of the coordinates.

Is there anyone in particular for which you would like an explanation?

yes
in the definition of unit vectors how did we get the cartesian coordinates in terms of cylinderical coordinates

queenstudy said:
yes
in the definition of unit vectors how did we get the cartesian coordinates in terms of cylinderical coordinates

Do you mean:
[tex]
\begin{matrix}
\mathbf{\hat x} & = & \cos\phi\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}-\sin\phi\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \\
\mathbf{\hat y} & = & \sin\phi\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}+\cos\phi\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \\
\mathbf{\hat z} & = & \mathbf{\hat z}
\end{matrix}
[/tex]
?

yes please because we know how the opposite happens

queenstudy said:
yes please because we know how the opposite happens

The only interesting ones are [itex]\mathbf{\hat x}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat y}[/itex].
So we're actually talking about 2-dimensional polar coordinates.

Here's one way to derive the unit vectors.

[itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}[/itex] corresponds in this case with the vector from the origin to a point on the unit circle at angle [itex]\phi[/itex].

The vector [itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}[/itex] can be seen as the result of a rotation of [itex]\mathbf{\hat x}[/itex] over an angle of [itex]\phi[/itex].

Or in reverse, the vector [itex]\mathbf{\hat x}[/itex] is the result of a rotation of [itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}[/itex] over an angle of [itex]-\phi[/itex].
Similarly the vector [itex]\mathbf{\hat y}[/itex] is the result of a rotation of [itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \phi}[/itex] over an angle of [itex]-\phi[/itex].

We need the rotation matrix for an angle [itex]\phi[/itex] is to get what we want:
[tex]R = \begin{pmatrix}\cos \phi & -\sin \phi \\ \sin \phi & \cos \phi \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Multiply [itex]R[/itex] with [itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{\hat \phi}[/itex] and the result rolls out:
[tex]
\begin{matrix}
\mathbf{\hat x} & = & \cos\phi\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}-\sin\phi\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \\
\mathbf{\hat y} & = & \sin\phi\boldsymbol{\hat \rho}+\cos\phi\boldsymbol{\hat\phi}
\end{matrix}
[/tex]

i know how raw and phy are in terms of x hat and y hat how did you change that to the last line I am still not getting the idea??

queenstudy said:
i know how raw and phy are in terms of x hat and y hat how did you change that to the last line I am still not getting the idea??

How about this:

Apparently you already know:
[tex]
\begin{matrix}
\boldsymbol{\hat \rho} & = & \cos\phi\mathbf{\hat x}+\sin\phi \mathbf{\hat y}\\
\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} & = & -\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat x}+\cos\phi \mathbf{\hat y}
\end{matrix}
[/tex]

Which is:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} \boldsymbol{\hat \rho} \\ \boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
\cos \phi & \sin \phi \\
-\sin \phi & \cos \phi \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} \mathbf{\hat x} \\ \mathbf{\hat y} \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

The inverse is:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} \mathbf{\hat x} \\ \mathbf{\hat y} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
\cos \phi & -\sin \phi \\
\sin \phi & \cos \phi \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} \boldsymbol{\hat \rho} \\ \boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i get it okay okay thank you alotttttttttttttttttttt

Related to Converting Cartesian to Cylindrical/Spherical Unit Vectors

1. What are Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical unit vectors?

Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical unit vectors are three different coordinate systems used to describe the position of a point in space. Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes to represent the position of a point, while cylindrical coordinates use a radius, angle, and height, and spherical coordinates use a radius, inclination, and azimuth.

2. Why would I need to convert from Cartesian to cylindrical or spherical coordinates?

Converting from Cartesian to cylindrical or spherical coordinates can be useful when working with different coordinate systems or when solving certain types of mathematical problems. Some applications, such as physics or engineering, may require working with different coordinate systems to describe the position of objects in space.

3. How do I convert from Cartesian to cylindrical or spherical unit vectors?

To convert from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the following equations:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
z = z
To convert from Cartesian to spherical coordinates, you can use these equations:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
φ = arctan(√(x² + y²)/z)
θ = arctan(y/x)

4. Are there any special considerations when converting from Cartesian to cylindrical or spherical coordinates?

Yes, when converting to cylindrical or spherical coordinates, it is important to be aware of the range of values for each coordinate. For example, in cylindrical coordinates, the angle θ should be between 0 and 2π, and the height z can be any real number. In spherical coordinates, the inclination φ should be between 0 and π, and the azimuth θ should be between 0 and 2π.

5. Can I convert back from cylindrical or spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, you can also convert back from cylindrical or spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates. To convert from cylindrical to Cartesian coordinates, you can use these equations:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)
z = z
To convert from spherical to Cartesian coordinates, you can use these equations:
x = r sin(φ) cos(θ)
y = r sin(φ) sin(θ)
z = r cos(φ)