Integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates

In summary, the speaker is working on a dynamical system and needs to integrate a vector function over a part of a spherical shell. They are unsure how to set the intervals of integration in spherical coordinates and are wondering if it is possible to integrate in Cartesian coordinates instead. The speaker also mentions using an integral formula involving the normal to the surface and the z-axis. There is some confusion about whether the integral is for a surface or a volume.
cromata
I am modeling some dynamical system and I came across integral that I don't know how to solve. I need to integrate vector function f=-xj+yi (i and j are unit vectors of Cartesian coordinate system).
I need to integrate this function over a part of spherical shell of radius R. This part is actually projection of circle (that lies in x-y plane) of radius 'b' on this sphere. I know that it's usually easier to integrate spherical shell in spherical coordinates but it's really tricky to set the intervals of integration in this problem in spherical coordinates.
-So my question is, is it possible to integrate this in Cartesian coordinates. Because i know integration intervals: I just need to set the interval for x and y as circle in x-y plane (z interval would be little tricky)

I also posted image so you can better see what the problem is...
integration.jpg

Attachments

• integration.jpg
    integration.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 901
Physics news on Phys.org
It can be integrated over ## dx \, dy ## with ## dA=\sec{\gamma} \, dx \, dy ##, where ## \gamma ## is the angle between the normal to the surface at any point and the z-axis. ## \\ ## It has been quite a number of years since I did such an integral in an Advanced Calculus course, but I still remember doing it this way. ## \\ ## Edit: I may have misread this: Are you doing a surface integral, or an integral over some volume? What I did is for a surface integral. If it is over a thickness of ## \Delta r ## , you might be able to multiply the surface integral result by ## \Delta r ## . ## \\ ## Additional edit: I believe in this case ## \cos{\gamma}=\frac{z}{R} ##.

Last edited:

1. What is integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates?

Integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates refers to the process of finding the volume of a portion of a spherical shell using Cartesian coordinates. This involves setting up a triple integral and determining the limits of integration based on the dimensions and position of the desired portion of the spherical shell.

2. How is this type of integration different from integration over a full spherical shell?

The main difference is in the limits of integration. Integration over a full spherical shell would involve integrating over the entire range of angles and radii, whereas integration over a part of a spherical shell would involve setting limits based on the desired portion of the shell only.

3. What are the standard equations used for integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates?

The standard equations used for this type of integration are the triple integral formula in Cartesian coordinates, as well as the equations for spherical coordinates which can be converted to Cartesian coordinates. These equations involve the use of trigonometric functions and radius values.

4. What are some practical applications of integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates?

This type of integration is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate volumes of objects that have a spherical shape or components that are part of a spherical structure. It can also be used in calculating the mass, density, and other physical properties of such objects.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to consider when using integration over a part of a spherical shell in Cartesian coordinates?

One limitation to consider is the complexity of the equations involved, which can make it difficult to solve for some cases. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can also be affected by the precision of the input data and assumptions made in the integration process.