Converting Chord Length to Radians: A Confusing Concept?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving converting chord length to radians. They are having trouble figuring out how to work back words from the equation.
Isquarey

Homework Statement

Coverting Cord length to radians and the other problem is: A ball Radius = 12 CM, rolls 15 M, across the gym floor. Through what angle does the ball rotate?
We just started this today and I am very confused by it. the other question is converting 11.6 CM Chord Length into Radians.

Homework Equations

O=s/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to convert chord length to radians and on the next one I converted 15M to centimeters and then i plugged it into the formula doing 1500CM/12CM which gets me 125 Radians and then I did 125(180/3.14) and got 7165 Degrees which cannot be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it makes many rotations, then angle of rotation will exceed 360°.

cord length, as if a cord is wrapped around the circumference?
or chord length, as a straight line from one circumference point to another?
(Your small ball does rotate 125 radians to roll 15 meters.)

A cord as in straight line across it

lightgrav said:
cord length, as if a cord is wrapped around the circumference?
or chord length, as a straight line from one circumference point to another?
(Your small ball does rotate 125 radians to roll 15 meters.)
Cord length as in a straigt line across it

did you draw it? I suggest also draw 2 radial lines from the center to those circumference points . . . maybe one in the center of the chord, also.

lightgrav said:
did you draw it? I suggest also draw 2 radial lines from the center to those circumference points . . . maybe one in the center of the chord, also.
I did draw it and i have a problem worked out to get the cord i just can't figure out how to work back words from it I know have to cord is 5.8 CM and there is a 90 Degree angle there am i supposed to do -TAN(Y/X) ?

YES! we love right triangles! (don't forget the other half chord)

alright cool thanks

What is a radian?

A radian is a unit of measurement for angles. It is defined as the angle subtended at the center of a circle by an arc equal in length to the radius of the circle. One radian is equal to approximately 57.3 degrees.

How is angular displacement measured in radians?

Angular displacement is measured in radians by dividing the length of the arc traveled by the radius of the circle. This gives the number of radians traveled along the circumference of the circle.

How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement refers to the change in the orientation or position of an object with respect to a reference point, while linear displacement refers to the change in the position of an object in a straight line.

Why are radians used to measure angular displacement?

Radians are used to measure angular displacement because they provide a more natural and convenient way to measure angles in mathematics and physics. Unlike degrees, radians are a pure ratio and do not have a unit associated with them, making calculations involving angles simpler.

What are some real-world applications of radians in scientific research?

Radians are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are commonly used to measure rotational motion, such as the rotation of a wheel or the movement of planets and stars. Radians are also used in trigonometry to calculate the angles and sides of triangles, making them useful in fields such as surveying and navigation.