Converting decimal to Roman Literal using programming?

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary: X XXC CD100 100 1000001000 1000 100000010000 10000 10000000 var dict = { 1: "I", 4: "IV", 5: "V", 9: "IX", 10: "X", 40: "XL", 50: "L", 90: "XC", 100: "C", 500: "D", 900: "CM", 1000: "M",};ordinary_literal = Number(prompt("Enter the value of year in foramt 2010
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Converting decimal to Roman Literal using programming?
Relevant Equations
None
JavaScript:
var dict = {
  1: "I",
  5: "V",
  10: "X",
  50: "L",
  100: "C",
  500: "D",
  1000: "M",
};

ordinary_literal = Number(prompt("Enter the value of year in foramt 2010"));
//2010 as input
let roman_value = "";
let minDifference = Infinity;

while (ordinary_literal > 0) {
  for (var key in dict) {
    var difference = Math.abs(ordinary_literal - key);
    if (difference < minDifference) {
      minDifference = difference;
      key_to_use = key;
    }
  }

roman_value += dict[key_to_use];
  ordinary_literal -= key_to_use;
}

console.log(roman_value);

The code fails when pressed 9.
It's because of dictionary. But how do I realize what's missing in dictionary? how do I realize what else to add in this dictionary? Is there a technique to do so?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want it to print out IX for 9 but it printed out VIIII instead?

jedishrfu said:
So you want it to print out IX for 9 but it printed out VIIII instead?
it printed X for 9.

I don't have a specific algorithm in mind, but it appears that you have a lot less logic in your code than is needed. Roman numerals are a bit tricky, as certain numbers need to be handled as special cases, particularly 4's and 9's that can appear in various places in the decimal representation.
4 --> IV
9 --> IX
and similar for 14, 19, 24 29, etc.

40 --> XL
90 --> XC
and similar for 140, 190, 240, 290, etc.

400 --> CD
900 --> CM
and similar for 1400, 1900, 2400, 2900, etc.

Your difficulty with 9 showing up as X is a completely different situation. A good way to find the problem is to hand-simulate your code; that is, sit down with paper and pencil and analyze what your program is doing when you enter 9 as the input. An alternative is to use the Javascript debugger to single-step through your code to inspect the variable values at each step.

shivajikobardan said:
The code fails when pressed 9.
I'm guessing that's the first number you tried. I suspect that if you enter 2010 you'll get incorrect results as well.

Your algorithm needs to be refined, and by that I mean, completely rewritten. It's reasonable to assume that the largest input number is 3999, as there isn't a Roman numeral for 4000, as far as I'm aware -- they didn't usually put four Roman numerals of the same kind together, so you won't see IIII where they would use IV, or MMMM for 4000. Also there's not a symbol I know of for 5000.

The way I would do the problem is to figure out how many thousands there are ( < 4), how many hundreds, how many tens, how many ones, with special cases for 4 or 9 digits.

Likes jedishrfu
Look at your algorithm where you do abs.

10 was closer to 9 than 5 was right? But 10 is greater than 9 so what should you have done.

As @Mark44 has said in an earlier post Roman numerals are a bit more complex than your algorithm allows and you'll need to rethink it.

JavaScript:
var dict = {
  1: "I",
  4: "IV",
  5: "V",
  9: "IX",
  10: "X",
  40: "XL",
  50: "L",
  90: "XC",
  100: "C",
  500: "D",
  900: "CM",
  1000: "M",
};
ordinary_literal = Number(prompt("Enter the value of year in foramt 2010"));
//2010 as input
let roman_value = "";
let minDifference = Infinity;
while (ordinary_literal > 0) {
  for (var key in dict) {
    var difference = Math.abs(ordinary_literal - key);
    if (difference < minDifference) {
      minDifference = difference;
      key_to_use = key;
    }
  }
  roman_value += dict[key_to_use];
  ordinary_literal -= key_to_use;
}
console.log(roman_value);
Does this work? I've added couple of dictionary values. no, it doesn't work.

Last edited:
shivajikobardan said:
Does this work? I've added couple of dictionary values. no, it doesn't work
All you did was to add a few key/value pairs in your dictionary, but you didn't change the rest of your code, as far as I can see with a quick scan. As I said before, you need to completely revise your code if you want this to work. See post #5 for my suggestion.

Mark44 said:
The way I would do the problem is to figure out how many thousands there are ( < 4), how many hundreds, how many tens, how many ones, with special cases for 4 or 9 digits.
Or look up each decimal digit in a 2-dimensional table / array similar to this:

Code:
     1   10   100  1000
1    I    X     C     M
2   II   XX    CC    MM
3  III  XXX   CCC   MMM
4   IV   XL    CD
5    V    L     D
6   VI   LX    DC
7  VII  LXX   DCC
8 VIII LXXX  DCCC
9   IX   XC    CM

1. How do you convert a decimal number to a Roman numeral using programming?

To convert a decimal number to a Roman numeral using programming, you can follow these steps:

• Step 1: Create a list of Roman numeral symbols and their corresponding decimal values.
  • Step 2: Take the decimal number as input from the user.
  • Step 3: Use a loop to iterate through the list of Roman numeral symbols from largest to smallest.
  • Step 4: Compare the decimal value of the current symbol with the input number.
  • Step 5: If the decimal value of the current symbol is less than or equal to the input number, subtract the decimal value from the input number and add the corresponding Roman numeral symbol to the output string.
  • Step 6: Repeat step 5 until the input number becomes 0.
  • Step 7: The final output string will be the Roman numeral equivalent of the input decimal number.

2. What is the range of decimal numbers that can be converted to Roman numerals using programming?

The range of decimal numbers that can be converted to Roman numerals using programming depends on the programming language and the data type used. For example, if you are using the integer data type in Java, the range would be -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647. However, if you are using a larger data type like BigInteger in Java, the range would be much higher. Generally, most programming languages can handle decimal numbers up to several billion.

3. Can fractions or decimal numbers with more than two decimal places be converted to Roman numerals using programming?

No, Roman numerals are a system for representing whole numbers only. Fractions or decimal numbers cannot be converted to Roman numerals using programming.

4. How do you handle errors while converting decimal numbers to Roman numerals using programming?

Errors can occur while converting decimal numbers to Roman numerals if the input number is outside the range of supported values or if the input is not a valid decimal number. To handle these errors, you can use conditional statements and exception handling in your programming code. You can also provide appropriate error messages to the user to indicate the issue and prompt them to enter a valid input.

5. Is there a built-in function or library in programming languages for converting decimal numbers to Roman numerals?

Some programming languages may have built-in functions or libraries for converting decimal numbers to Roman numerals, but not all languages have this feature. In cases where there is no built-in function, you can write your own code to perform the conversion using the steps mentioned in the answer to the first question. Alternatively, you can also search for open-source libraries or code snippets available online that can be used for this purpose.