Converting measured activity between isotopes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting the activity measured in Co57 to the actual activity in F18 for FDG-PET scans. The speaker is struggling to find a way to do this and is seeking help from others. They mention the different decay processes of Co57 and F18 and suggest testing a sample of F18 with both calibrator settings to determine a conversion factor.
silke
Hello there, I have a question that I just can't seem to solve by myself (although compared to the other threads here it seems quite simple)
I did some FDG-PET scans for my master thesis: I inject a certain dose of F18-FDG and prepare these injections by measuring the right dose using a dosecalibrator.
Now I've accidentally measured the activity of a few injections while the calibrator was still set to 'Co57' instead of F18...
Can I convert the activity measured in Co57 to the actual activity in F18? I can't seem to find a way to do this but I feel like it should be possible if you know the half-life of both isotopes and the measured activity, right?
Like it should even be a simple mathmetical equation? But I really can't get my head wrapped around it somehow... If anyone knows whether this is (im)possible and has any formula for this conversion, that would really help me out!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Co-57 mainly decays via electron capture, producing photons of variable energy afterwards. F-18 decays via beta+ decay, leading to two 511 keV photons. Without knowing much more about the detector, I don't see how you could relate them theoretically.
Why don't you test a sample of F-18 with both calibrator settings? That should give a conversion factor. I wouldn't expect nonlinearities to be an issue, but ideally your test sample(s) has/have an activity similar to what you had.

1. What is the process of converting measured activity between isotopes?

The process of converting measured activity between isotopes is known as isotope conversion or isotope enrichment. It involves changing the ratio of isotopes in a sample by separating and purifying the desired isotope through various techniques such as centrifugation, diffusion, or chemical reactions.

2. Why is it important to convert measured activity between isotopes?

Converting measured activity between isotopes is important for various scientific and industrial applications. It allows for the production of isotopes with specific properties for use in medical treatments, nuclear power, and research. It also helps in studying the behavior and properties of different isotopes in different environments.

3. How is measured activity between isotopes converted?

The conversion of measured activity between isotopes depends on the specific isotope and the desired end product. Different techniques such as centrifugation, diffusion, or chemical reactions are used to separate and purify the desired isotope. This process may also involve multiple steps and can be time-consuming and expensive.

4. Are there any risks associated with converting measured activity between isotopes?

Yes, there are some risks associated with converting measured activity between isotopes. The handling and processing of radioactive materials can pose a health hazard if proper safety measures are not followed. There is also a risk of contamination and environmental impact if the process is not carried out correctly.

5. What are some common isotopes that are converted and their uses?

Some common isotopes that are converted include uranium-235 for nuclear fuel, carbon-14 for carbon dating, and technetium-99m for medical imaging. These isotopes have various uses in industries such as energy production, medicine, and environmental monitoring.