Converting Strings to Numbers in MATLAB: A Quick Guide

In summary, to convert a string to a number in different programming languages, you can use the built-in functions or methods such as parseInt(), parseFloat(), int(), float(), Integer.parseInt(), Double.parseDouble(), stoi(), stof(), intval(), and floatval(). These functions and methods will convert the string into either an integer or a floating-point number, depending on the specific language.
vky
how to convert string to num??

hi guys,

I'm currently doing a GUI on MATLAB and I'm taking in a user input in a text box as string(not sure as wat), how can I convert it to a number?
Any help on that, much appreciated.
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
there's lots of different ways, some work better than others (experiment to find out which work for you)...

str2num, sscanf, strread

HI, thanks for your help, str2num does work.
cheers

Related to Converting Strings to Numbers in MATLAB: A Quick Guide

1. How do I convert a string to a number in JavaScript?

To convert a string to a number in JavaScript, you can use the built-in function parseInt() or parseFloat(). The parseInt() function will convert the string into an integer, while the parseFloat() function will convert the string into a floating-point number.

2. Can I convert a string to a number in Python?

Yes, you can convert a string to a number in Python by using the built-in int() or float() function. The int() function will convert the string into an integer, while the float() function will convert the string into a floating-point number.

3. How do I convert a string to a number in Java?

In Java, you can use the Integer.parseInt() or Double.parseDouble() method to convert a string to a number. The Integer.parseInt() method will convert the string into an integer, while the Double.parseDouble() method will convert the string into a double.

4. Is it possible to convert a string to a number in C++?

Yes, you can convert a string to a number in C++ by using the stoi() or stof() functions. The stoi() function will convert the string into an integer, while the stof() function will convert the string into a floating-point number.

5. Can I convert a string to a number in PHP?

Yes, you can use the intval() or floatval() function in PHP to convert a string to a number. The intval() function will convert the string into an integer, while the floatval() function will convert the string into a floating-point number.