Convex Neighbourhoods in Relativistic Spacetimes

• Thread starter center o bass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex
In summary, the paper discusses the existence of convex neighbourhoods in general relativistic spacetimes, where a convex neighbourhood is defined as a neighbourhood in which there exists a unique geodesic connecting any two points and staying within the neighbourhood. The paper then considers whether within a small enough neighbourhood, there exists a unique null-geodesic connecting two points. While the paper does not directly prove this, it does state that for any point p in the neighbourhood, there exist two unique future- and past-pointing null geodesics that intersect the worldline of an observer passing through the neighbourhood. This can be extended to a larger neighbourhood by allowing for a sliding of points along the observer's worldline, but it is not explicitly stated how this
center o bass
In general relativistic spacetimes, convex neighbourhoods are guaranteed to exist. As a reminder: a convex neighbourhood ##U## is a neighbourhood ##U## such that for any two points ##p## and ##q## in U there exists a unique geodesic connecting ##p## and ##q## staying within ##U##.

With that established, does it somehow follow that within a small enough neighbourhood there exist a unique null-geodesic connecting them?

In this paper the author seem to deduce this in his Proposition 1 -- something that he uses to establish the existence of neighbourhoods for which one can assign coordinates to events by sending and receiving light signals.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link (for me) has problems - Springer.com is often behind a paywall...

jim mcnamara said:
Your link (for me) has problems - Springer.com is often behind a paywall...
Does it work for you now? The title is "On the Radar Method in General Relativistic Spacetimes".

Likes jim mcnamara
This doesn't sound right to me, think physically about what you are saying. In SR, a subset of GR, two points which are time-like or space-like connected can't possibly be null connected right?

And indeed in GR, barring the existence of conjugate points, the boundary of the chronological future of a point is exactly the causal future of that point minus the chronological future of that point. In other words, even in GR, for small neighbourhoods, the null connected points to a point lie on the boundary of the chronological future of that point.

Thanks for fixing the link.

center o bass said:
In general relativistic spacetimes, convex neighbourhoods are guaranteed to exist. As a reminder: a convex neighbourhood ##U## is a neighbourhood ##U## such that for any two points ##p## and ##q## in U there exists a unique geodesic connecting ##p## and ##q## staying within ##U##.

With that established, does it somehow follow that within a small enough neighbourhood there exist a unique null-geodesic connecting them?

In this paper the author seem to deduce this in his Proposition 1 -- something that he uses to establish the existence of neighbourhoods for which one can assign coordinates to events by sending and receiving light signals.

This is not what the paper states.

As Matterwave suggests, consider special relativity as an example.

Let ##\gamma## be a worldine, let ##p## be an event on the worldline, and let ##U## be a neighbourhood that contains ##p##. Consider any event ##q## in the neighbourhood ##U## that is not on the the worldline ##\gamma##. Then, there exists a unique future-directed null geodseic that starts at ##q## and intersects ##\gamma##, and there exists another unique future-directed null geodesic that starts at an event on ##\gamma## and runs to ##q##.

If ##p## and ##q## are not lightlike related, these null geodesics do not intersect ##\gamma## at ##p##, i.e., these null geodesics do join ##p## and ##q##.

The null geodesics might leave the neighbourhood ##U## before they intersect the worldline ##\gamma##, but everything can be contained in some larger neighbourhood ##V##.

See Fig, 1 from the paper. In Fig. 1, ##p## and ##q## are not lightlike related, and the null geodesics intersect ##\gamma## at ##\gamma \left( t_2 \right)## and ##\gamma \left( t_1 \right)##, not at ##p##.

Matterwave said:
This doesn't sound right to me, think physically about what you are saying. In SR, a subset of GR, two points which are time-like or space-like connected can't possibly be null connected right?
t.

George Jones said:
This is not what the paper states.

Let ##\gamma## be a worldine, let ##p## be an event on the worldline, and let ##U## be a neighbourhood that contains ##p##. Consider any event ##q## in the neighbourhood ##U## that is not on the the worldline ##\gamma##. Then, there exists a unique future-directed null geodseic that starts at ##q## and intersects ##\gamma##, and there exists another unique future-directed null geodesic that starts at an event on ##\gamma## and runs to ##q##.

If ##p## and ##q## are not lightlike related, these null geodesics do not intersect ##\gamma## at ##p##, i.e., these null geodesics do join ##p## and ##q##.

The null geodesics might leave the neighbourhood ##U## before they intersect the worldline ##\gamma##, but everything can be contained in some larger neighbourhood ##V##.

See Fig, 1 from the paper. In Fig. 1, ##p## and ##q## are not lightlike related, and the null geodesics intersect ##\gamma## at ##\gamma \left( t_2 \right)## and ##\gamma \left( t_1 \right)##, not at ##p##.

I agree with you that what the paper states is that one can find two neighbourhoods ##U,V## where ##p\in U \subset V## such that for any ##q \in U\ \text{Im}(\gamma)## there exists a unique future pointing geodesic, as well as a unique past pointing geodesic -- that stays within ##V## -- connecting ##q## to ##\gamma##.

But how do we prove this from convexity?

I would presume that we first take ##V## to be a convex neighbourhood and let ##\gamma## be a worldline of some observer going through ##V##. By convexity of ##V##, we can then connect any point ##q## in ##V - \text{Image}(\gamma)## to a point ##r \in \text{Image}(\gamma)## by a unique geodesic that stays within ##V##. This geodesic might be spacelike, null, or timelike. Now, I imagine sliding the point ##r## along ##\gamma## until this unique geodesic becomes null: I guess the subset ##U \subset V## has the purpose of being those point within ##V## than can be connected by a null geodesic, and not just any geodesic, from ##\gamma##. However, I do not see any good arguments on why ##V## has to be such that the geodesic can be made into a null geodesic by sliding ##r## along ##\gamma##.

Is there such a reason? And how would I prove the statement more formally?

Related to Convex Neighbourhoods in Relativistic Spacetimes

1. What are convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes?

Convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes refer to a region in spacetime where the geometry is such that all geodesics connecting two points within the region remain within the region. This is important in the study of general relativity as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and light in these regions.

2. How are convex neighbourhoods different from non-convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes?

Non-convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes are regions where the geometry is such that there exist geodesics that connect two points within the region but extend outside of the region. This can lead to more complex and unpredictable behavior of particles and light, making these regions more difficult to study.

3. What is the significance of studying convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes?

Studying convex neighbourhoods in relativistic spacetimes allows us to better understand the behavior of particles and light in regions where the curvature of spacetime is significant. This is crucial in predicting and explaining phenomena such as gravitational lensing and the behavior of black holes.

4. Can convex neighbourhoods exist in non-relativistic spacetimes?

Yes, convex neighbourhoods can also exist in non-relativistic spacetimes. However, in these cases, the concept of geodesics does not apply as the geometry of spacetime is described by Newtonian mechanics rather than general relativity.

5. How are convex neighbourhoods related to the curvature of spacetime?

Convex neighbourhoods are closely related to the curvature of spacetime. In fact, the existence of a convex neighbourhood requires the spacetime to have a specific type of curvature known as positive curvature. This means that the spacetime is curved in a way that resembles the surface of a sphere, rather than being flat or negatively curved like a saddle or a hyperbolic space.