Convex polyhedron - average of vertices inside polyhedron?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of convex polyhedrons and the relationship between the average vertex and the center of mass of a uniformly dense irregular convex polyhedron. It was established that, by definition, the average vertex will always be within the 3D-volume of the polyhedron. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of proving this relationship and comparing it to the concept of convex polygons on a plane.
pyroknife
I am interested in polyhedrons (mostly hexahedrons and pentahedrons). The shapes I am interested in are irregular, where none of the opposing faces are parallel to each other. However, the shapes I am dealing with all CONVEX.

I have the vertices of my polyhedrons and was wondering if I sum up all the vertices and divide by the number of vertices (averaging), would the resulting averaged (x,y,z) coordinate always be inside the convex polyhedron formed by the vertices that were averaged?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that should be evident as result of the definition of "convex".

Seems to begs the question of what the relationship between the average vertex and the center of mass of a uniformly dense irregular convex polyhedron might be, and so naturally, pyroknife, you might be interested in general knowledge at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centroid

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that should be evident as result of the definition of "convex".
Is there a way to prove this?
I can't seem to come up with a proof for this for any generic n-faced CONVEX polyhedron.

Well, what is the definition of "convex"?

Have you thought by analogy about this @pyroknife? Think about how you would prove that a polygon was convex on a plane, and then just generalize to 3D.

"A polyhedron is said to be convex if its surface (comprising its faces, edges and vertices) does not intersect itself and the line segment joining any two points of thepolyhedron is contained in the interior or surface. A polyhedron is a 3-dimensional example of the more general polytope in any number of dimensions"
I mean I understand that the polyhedron is convex, but I am not understanding how the coordinate that is obtained by averaging the vertices of the polyhedron is defined to be within the 3D-volume.

I'm thinking the easiest way of doing that is to establish with certainty that there exists some some sphere with a center at the average in which the distance to all vertices exceeds the radius of the sphere. Only one of three conditions exist. The sphere exists with a nonzero radius indicating it is in the interior, it does not exist which mean the point is exterior to the polyhedron, or two vertices and the center of the sphere is linear, in which case the point lies in a plane or edge of the polyhedron.

Related to Convex polyhedron - average of vertices inside polyhedron?

1. What is a convex polyhedron?

A convex polyhedron is a three-dimensional object with flat, polygonal faces, and straight edges, where all internal angles are less than 180 degrees. It is a closed geometric shape with no holes or openings.

2. What does the average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron represent?

The average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron represents the centroid, which is the geometric center of the polyhedron. It is the point where the three medians of each face intersect.

3. How is the average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron calculated?

The average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron is calculated by finding the sum of all the vertices' coordinates and dividing it by the total number of vertices. This gives the coordinates of the centroid.

4. Why is the average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron important?

The average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron is important because it helps to determine the symmetry and balance of the polyhedron. It is also useful in various applications, such as computer graphics and engineering, where the centroid is used to calculate the center of mass and moments of inertia.

5. Can the average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron be located outside the polyhedron?

No, the average of vertices inside a convex polyhedron will always be located inside the polyhedron. This is because a convex polyhedron is a closed shape with no holes or openings, and the centroid is the point of balance within the shape.