Cooling a marine engine while testing

In summary: Tom:I say 'a few to many' because the intake water of a marine engine is at or below ambient temperature, whereas the radiator outlet temperature is well above ambient.Consider using a 100 m length of black polypipe as a radiator. Run hot water from the diesel through the pipe to cool it, before it enters the IBC reservoir.Marine diesels come in many sizes. Maybe you can identify the model, HP, or capacity.How will it be loaded during the tests?An IBC is close to a cube, which has maximum volume, but with minimum cooling surface.Consider using a 100 m length of black polypipe as a radiator. Run hot
ToYo69
TL;DR Summary
We are trying to test a marine engine in our workshop and were wondering how much extra cooling a radiator might add.
For my internship I have to test and certify a Marine diesel engine. We are trying to run a few tests in our workshop, but this obviously means we can't use the sea or a river as cooling. We bought an IBC tank, which can hold a 1000 liters of water. The water from the tank will be running through the system instead of river/sea water, this water will be taking the heat away from the coolant. After a few calculations we figured out that with this amount of water we can run for about 5 minutes before the water gets to hot to keep cooling the coolant. So I was wondering if we add a radiator to take some heat away from the water how much time this could buy us. I am specifically wondering how much the radiator will cool down the water and what data I would need.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on the engine size, a few (up to many) car radiators should do the trick rather well.

I say 'a few to many' because the intake water of a marine engine is at or below ambient temperature, whereas the radiator outlet temperature is well above ambient.

You will also need a big fan for each radiator. (noisy)

Lets see if we can get some of the Experts to chime in on this:
@Ranger Mike @anorlunda @jrmichler @Chestermiller

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Depending on the engine size, a few (up to many) car radiators should do the trick rather well.

I say 'a few to many' because the intake water of a marine engine is at or below ambient temperature, whereas the radiator outlet temperature is well above ambient.

You will also need a big fan for each radiator. (noisy)

Lets see if we can get some of the Experts to chime in on this:
@Ranger Mike @anorlunda @jrmichler @Chestermiller

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks for the quick reply. The engine is quite big, almost sixteen liters. The size of the radiator shouldn't be a problem. Our company also sells generators and those engines also have quite big radiator and fans.

Marine diesels come in many sizes. Maybe you can identify the model, HP, or capacity.
How will it be loaded during the tests?

An IBC is close to a cube, which has maximum volume, but with minimum cooling surface.

Consider using a 100 m length of black polypipe as a radiator. Run hot water from the diesel through the pipe to cool it, before it enters the IBC reservoir.

Baluncore said:
Marine diesels come in many sizes. Maybe you can identify the model, HP, or capacity.
How will it be loaded during the tests?

An IBC is close to a cube, which has maximum volume, but with minimum cooling surface.

Consider using a 100 m length of black polypipe as a radiator. Run hot water from the diesel through the pipe to cool it, before it enters the IBC reservoir.
The marine diesel in question is a Baudouin 6M26.3, between 400-600 KW. During the tests it will be loaded bij attaching a dyno instead of a waterbreak. The plan right now is to add a radiator between the engine and the ibc tank cooling the water whilst it is returning to the tank

ToYo69 said:
Our company also sells generators and those engines also have quite big radiator and fans.
There you go. Use one or more of those quite big radiator and fans. Just be careful about @Tom.G 's caution.

Tom.G said:

I hate to be environmentally insensitive, but there is also the choice of using fresh water once-through to cool the engine, then discard the warm water down the drain instead of recycling it. That water will have no rust-inhibitors but marine engines are designed for use with salt water.

Likes russ_watters
Radiators need fans. It will rapidly become too difficult to arrange.

How often do you test your fire hydrants?
Have you considered connecting the cooling water input port to a fire hydrant, and the outlet to the storm water. Adjust the flow rate to maintain a stable output temperature, and minimise water used.

Likes anorlunda

1. How do you cool a marine engine while testing?

To cool a marine engine while testing, you can use a water hose to continuously spray water into the engine's cooling system. This will help regulate the temperature and prevent overheating.

2. How often should you cool a marine engine during testing?

The frequency of cooling a marine engine during testing will depend on the engine's size and power, as well as the testing conditions. It is recommended to cool the engine every 10-15 minutes or whenever the temperature gauge starts to rise.

3. Can you use a fan to cool a marine engine during testing?

While a fan can help circulate air and cool down the engine, it is not recommended as the primary method of cooling. The fan may not provide enough cooling power, especially for larger engines, and could potentially cause damage if not used correctly.

4. What are the risks of not cooling a marine engine during testing?

Not cooling a marine engine during testing can lead to overheating, which can cause damage to the engine's components and potentially lead to a breakdown. It can also affect the accuracy of the test results and may not provide an accurate representation of the engine's performance.

5. Are there any alternative methods for cooling a marine engine during testing?

Yes, there are alternative methods for cooling a marine engine during testing, such as using a heat exchanger or a water pump. These methods may be more efficient and effective in regulating the engine's temperature, but they may also require additional equipment and expertise.