Coordinate ring of an affine algebraic set - k[A^n]/I(V)

In summary, we discussed the basics of elementary algebraic geometry, specifically focusing on Section 15.1 of Dummit and Foote's Chapter 15. We looked at Noetherian rings and affine algebraic sets, and discussed an example on page 661 regarding the coordinate ring of an affine algebraic set. We also explored the isomorphism between $\mathbb{R}[V]$ and $\mathbb{R}[x, 1/x]$ and the relationship between points on a variety and maximal ideals of the coordinate ring. Lastly, we touched on the use of sheaf theory in algebraic geometry to study line bundles over manifolds.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to gain an understanding of the basics of elementary algebraic geometry and am reading Dummit and Foote Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry ...

At present I am focused on Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets ... ...

I need someone to help me to fully understand the reasoning/analysis behind the statements in the Example on Page 661 of D&F regarding the coordinate ring of an affine algebraic set \(\displaystyle V \subseteq \mathbb{A}^n\) ... ...

On page 661 (in Section 15.1) of D&F we find the following text and example (I am specifically focused on the Example):
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4752
In the above text, in the Example, we find the following:

" ... ... In the quotient ring \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} [V]\) we have \(\displaystyle \overline{x} \overline{y} = 1\) so \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} [V] \cong \mathbb{R} [ x, 1/x ]\). ... ... "

Could someone please explain rigorously and formally and, preferably in simple steps, exactly how/why \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} [V] \cong \mathbb{R} [ x, 1/x ]\) ... ... ?

Further, in the above text, D&F state " ... \(\displaystyle \overline{x} \overline{y} = 1\) ... " ... ... BUT ... ... shouldn't this read " ... \(\displaystyle \overline{x} \overline{y} = \overline{1}\) ... "

Hope someone can help with the above issues ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll answer the question first :

$\Bbb R[x, y]/(xy - 1)$ is the same thing as $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$. There is nothing much to prove. Note that $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$ is the ring of formal polynomials of $x$ and $1/x$. That is, it's NOT a polynomial ring. This is a very important note to bear in mind. A polynomial ring over $\Bbb R$ is of the form $\Bbb R[x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n]$ where $x_i$ are $R$-algebraically independent transcendentals. $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$ is what you get by treating $x$ and $1/x$ as symbols and building polynomials with them.

That said, the isomorphism is $f : \Bbb R[x, y]/(xy - 1) \to \Bbb R[X, 1/X]$ given by $1 \pmod{(xy-1)} \mapsto 1$, $x \pmod{(xy-1)}\mapsto X$ and $y \pmod{(xy-1)} \mapsto 1/X$ and the rest by extending to all of the ring. This is a homomorphism, as $f(xy \pmod{(xy-1)}) = f(1 \pmod{(xy-1)}) = 1$ and $f(x \pmod{(xy-1)})f(y \pmod{(xy-1)}) = X \cdot 1/X = 1$. You can prove this is an isomorphism by noting that this is surjective and has zero kernel. I'll leave that to you to verify.

Since you are reading about the coordinate ring, I'll give a few high-brow comments :

If $V \subset \Bbb A^n$ is an affine variety, $\mathcal{I} = \mathcal{I}(V)$ the ideal corresponding to $V$ (ideal of _all_ the functions vanishing identically on $V$). Then coordinate ring $k[V] \cong k[x_1, \cdots, x_n]/\mathcal{I}$ is actually the ring of functions on $V$.

That is, consider an element $f(x_1, \cdots, x_n) \pmod{\mathcal{I}} \in k[V]$. If you evaluate this thing on some point $(a_1, \cdots, a_n) \in V$ on the variety $V$, then you get back the value $f(a_1, \cdots, a_n)$ (regardless of the choice of the thing that's dangling inside the "mod" sign. This is because any polynomial in $\mathcal{I}$ evaluates to $0$ on $V$). Thus, an element of $k[V]$, evaluated at points of $V$, gives rise to a function $V \to k$. The opposite direction is also true.

Thus, we conclude that $k[V]$ is actually ring of functions $V \to k$ on $V$ (multiplication and addition of two functions $f, g : V \to k$ is defined by multiplication and addition of the images in $k$).

This is an immensely important notion in algebraic geometry. When you learn about Zariski topology next, you'll see that you can localize the ring $k[V]$ at the open sets of your affine variety to form a sheaf on the variety. Zariski topology is completely useless as a topology, but it's great when you want to do sheaf theory on varieties. This is a notion motivated from complex analysis, where you study sheaf of holomorphic functions on complex manifolds. That gives a lot of information about line bundles over your manifold, say.

To give a taste of how powerful this sheaf theory is, let $V$ be an affine variety and $k[V]$ be a coordinate ring. It's known that points in $V$ are in bijective correspondence with maximal ideals of $k[V]$ (this is a weak version of Nullstellensatz, as you'll learn later). In fact, you can give $V$ and the set of maximal ideals of $k[V]$ both a topology (the Zariski topology, of course), in which case the bijection correspondence will become a homeomorphism between $V$ and $\text{maxSpec} \, k[V]$ (the collection of maximal ideals). Hence, you can recover the whole variety just from the maximal ideals of the coordinate ring.

mathbalarka said:
I'll answer the question first :

$\Bbb R[x, y]/(xy - 1)$ is the same thing as $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$. There is nothing much to prove. Note that $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$ is the ring of formal polynomials of $x$ and $1/x$. That is, it's NOT a polynomial ring. This is a very important note to bear in mind. A polynomial ring over $\Bbb R$ is of the form $\Bbb R[x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n]$ where $x_i$ are $R$-algebraically independent transcendentals. $\Bbb R[x, 1/x]$ is what you get by treating $x$ and $1/x$ as symbols and building polynomials with them.

That said, the isomorphism is $f : \Bbb R[x, y]/(xy - 1) \to \Bbb R[X, 1/X]$ given by $1 \pmod{(xy-1)} \mapsto 1$, $x \pmod{(xy-1)}\mapsto X$ and $y \pmod{(xy-1)} \mapsto 1/X$ and the rest by extending to all of the ring. This is a homomorphism, as $f(xy \pmod{(xy-1)}) = f(1 \pmod{(xy-1)}) = 1$ and $f(x \pmod{(xy-1)})f(y \pmod{(xy-1)}) = X \cdot 1/X = 1$. You can prove this is an isomorphism by noting that this is surjective and has zero kernel. I'll leave that to you to verify.

Since you are reading about the coordinate ring, I'll give a few high-brow comments :

If $V \subset \Bbb A^n$ is an affine variety, $\mathcal{I} = \mathcal{I}(V)$ the ideal corresponding to $V$ (ideal of _all_ the functions vanishing identically on $V$). Then coordinate ring $k[V] \cong k[x_1, \cdots, x_n]/\mathcal{I}$ is actually the ring of functions on $V$.

That is, consider an element $f(x_1, \cdots, x_n) \pmod{\mathcal{I}} \in k[V]$. If you evaluate this thing on some point $(a_1, \cdots, a_n) \in V$ on the variety $V$, then you get back the value $f(a_1, \cdots, a_n)$ (regardless of the choice of the thing that's dangling inside the "mod" sign. This is because any polynomial in $\mathcal{I}$ evaluates to $0$ on $V$). Thus, an element of $k[V]$, evaluated at points of $V$, gives rise to a function $V \to k$. The opposite direction is also true.

Thus, we conclude that $k[V]$ is actually ring of functions $V \to k$ on $V$ (multiplication and addition of two functions $f, g : V \to k$ is defined by multiplication and addition of the images in $k$).

This is an immensely important notion in algebraic geometry. When you learn about Zariski topology next, you'll see that you can localize the ring $k[V]$ at the open sets of your affine variety to form a sheaf on the variety. Zariski topology is completely useless as a topology, but it's great when you want to do sheaf theory on varieties. This is a notion motivated from complex analysis, where you study sheaf of holomorphic functions on complex manifolds. That gives a lot of information about line bundles over your manifold, say.

To give a taste of how powerful this sheaf theory is, let $V$ be an affine variety and $k[V]$ be a coordinate ring. It's known that points in $V$ are in bijective correspondence with maximal ideals of $k[V]$ (this is a weak version of Nullstellensatz, as you'll learn later). In fact, you can give $V$ and the set of maximal ideals of $k[V]$ both a topology (the Zariski topology, of course), in which case the bijection correspondence will become a homeomorphism between $V$ and $\text{maxSpec} \, k[V]$ (the collection of maximal ideals). Hence, you can recover the whole variety just from the maximal ideals of the coordinate ring.
Hi Mathbalarka

Thanks for an informative and interesting post ... you seem to have a truly impressive knowledge of algebraic geometry ... hope I can follow you ...

I am still thinking and reflecting over what you have said ...

Peter

you seem to have a truly impressive knowledge of algebraic geometry

Nah, I have just recently finished studying the first few chapters of Atiyah-Macdonald. Really don't know any algebraic geometry, but I'd have to learn it soon.

1. What is the coordinate ring of an affine algebraic set?

The coordinate ring of an affine algebraic set is a mathematical structure that encodes the geometric properties of the set. It is defined as the quotient ring k[A^n]/I(V), where k is a field, A^n is an n-dimensional affine space, and I(V) is the ideal of polynomials that vanish on the set V.

2. What is the significance of the coordinate ring?

The coordinate ring allows us to study the set V algebraically, by examining the properties of the polynomials in the ideal I(V). It also allows us to perform computations and make connections between the geometry of the set and the algebraic structure of the ring.

3. How is the coordinate ring related to the affine algebraic set?

The coordinate ring is a representation of the affine algebraic set, as it contains all the information about the set's points and geometry. The elements of the ring can be used to evaluate functions on the set and determine its properties.

4. Can the coordinate ring be used for other types of algebraic sets?

Yes, the coordinate ring can be used for other types of algebraic sets, such as projective algebraic sets or quasi-projective algebraic sets. However, the definition of the coordinate ring may differ slightly for each type of set.

5. How is the coordinate ring related to the Zariski topology?

The Zariski topology on an affine algebraic set can be defined in terms of the coordinate ring. The closed sets in the topology correspond to the varieties of the coordinate ring, and the open sets correspond to the sets where certain polynomials do not vanish. This connection allows us to use the algebraic structure of the coordinate ring to study the topology of the set.