Elementary Algebraic Geometry: Dummit & Foote Ch.15, Ex.24 Coordinate Ring

In summary, Dummit and Foote Chapter 15 focuses on Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry, specifically Section 15.1 which covers Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets. The conversation discusses Exercise 24 of Section 15.1, which involves understanding the nature of a k-algebra and proving that $\mathcal{Z}(xy - z^2)$ is not isomorphic to $\Bbb A^2$. The first part of the exercise can be done with hints, but the second part requires more advanced techniques.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to gain an understanding of the basics of elementary algebraic geometry and am reading Dummit and Foote Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry ...

At present I am focused on Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets ... ...

I need help to get started on Exercise 24 of Section 15.1 ...Exercise 24 of Section 15.1 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4763***NOTE***

I do not really fully understand the nature of a k-algebra ... so any help in making the notion of an algebra clearer will help ... as well as a significant start on the exercise ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to do the first part of the exercise as I have already given hints in the other thread.

For the second part, I really don't see how you can do this without some machinery. $\mathcal{Z}(xy - z^2)$ looks like a cone in the affine $3$-space, if you try to draw it. You can try and you will convince yourself that the variety at $(0, 0, 0)$ is singular, while $\Bbb A^2$ is smooth everywhere. The formalization of this is that the Zariski tangent space of the variety at $(0, 0, 0)$ is a vector space of dimension $3$, whereas dimension of the variety is of dimension $2$. Thus, $\mathcal{Z}(xy - z^2)$ is not smooth, and hence cannot be isomorphic to $\Bbb A^2$.

EDIT : OK, figured out how to do this without fancy arguments. This one is tricky. Assume that $\mathcal{Z}(xy - z^2)$ is isomorphic to $\Bbb A^2$. Then the coordinate rings $k[x, y, z]/(xy - z^2)$ and $k[u, v]$ are isomorphic as affine $k$-algebras. This implies they must also be isomorphic as rings. But note that in $k[x, y, z]/(xy - z^2)$, $x, y, z$ are irreducible elements, but since $x \cdot y = z \cdot z$, it cannot be a P.I.D. But $k[u, v]$ is a P.I.D., contradiction.

Related to Elementary Algebraic Geometry: Dummit & Foote Ch.15, Ex.24 Coordinate Ring

1. What is the purpose of chapter 15 in Dummit & Foote's book on Elementary Algebraic Geometry?

Chapter 15 in Dummit & Foote's book on Elementary Algebraic Geometry is focused on coordinate rings, which are an important tool for studying algebraic varieties. This chapter introduces the concept of a coordinate ring and its relationship to affine algebraic sets.

2. What is the definition of a coordinate ring?

A coordinate ring is the ring of polynomial functions on an affine algebraic set. It is a commutative ring with identity and its elements are polynomials in the coordinates of the affine algebraic set.

3. How is the coordinate ring related to an affine algebraic set?

The coordinate ring is isomorphic to the quotient ring of the polynomial ring by the ideal generated by the defining polynomials of the affine algebraic set. This means that the elements of the coordinate ring correspond to the polynomial functions on the affine algebraic set.

4. What are some properties of coordinate rings?

Coordinate rings have the following properties:

• They are finitely generated as a ring.
  • They are reduced, meaning they have no nilpotent elements.
  • They are integral domains, meaning they have no zero divisors.
  • They are Noetherian, meaning they satisfy the ascending chain condition for ideals.

5. How can coordinate rings be used to study algebraic varieties?

Coordinate rings provide a way to algebraically describe and study algebraic varieties. They allow us to define and manipulate polynomial functions on the variety, and to determine properties such as dimension and irreducibility. They also provide a bridge between algebraic geometry and commutative algebra, allowing for the use of algebraic techniques to study geometric objects.