Coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel

In summary: If you rotate the small triangles around their centers to get the big triangle, it will be congruent to the result of QPQC.In summary, the easy way to derive Morin's equation is to forget Morin's triangles and do it in two quick steps.
realanswers
Homework Statement
A mass m is fixed to a given point on the rim of a wheel of radius R that rolls without
slipping on the ground. The wheel is massless, except for a mass M located at its
center. Find the equation of motion for the angle through which the wheel rolls. For
the case where the wheel undergoes small oscillations, find the frequency.
Relevant Equations
L = T - V
$$x = R \theta - \sin \theta$$
$$y = R - \cos \theta$$
My issue is in deriving the coordinates of a point on a wheel that rotates without slipping. In Morin's solution he says that:
1673752138414.png

My attempt at rederiving his equation:

IMG_0353.jpg

I do not understand how the triangle on the bottom with sides indicated in green is the same as the triangle on top that is the only way I can get morin's solution. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem like a trivial thing (unless I am approaching it incorrectly and there is an easier way of seeing it).

Physics news on Phys.org
Please find attached the figure I draw on your sketch, which I interpreted from the text. The circle in orange rolls on x axis to become the circle in purple.

1673777510754.png
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/320402

Last edited:
The easy way to derive the EoM is to forget Morin's triangles and do it in two quick steps.
(a) Write an equation for a point on the rim in a frame of reference moving at the same velocity ##\vec v## with the wheel. Taking the origin of coordinates to be at the point of contact at ##t=0##,
##y=R(1- \cos\omega t)~##;##~~x=-R\sin \omega t##.
(b) Transform to the rest frame of the surface on which the wheel is rolling by adding ##vt## in the direction of motion. Then the position vector of the point of interest is
##\vec r= v t~\hat x -R\sin \omega t~\hat x+R(1- \cos\omega t)~\hat y.##

With ##\theta =\omega t## and ##v=\omega R## for rolling without slipping, one gets
$$\vec r=R \theta~\hat x -R\sin \theta~\hat x+R(1- \cos\theta)~\hat y= R(1-\sin\theta)~\hat x+R(1- \cos\theta)~\hat y$$which is Morin's expression. I find this method straightforward and easy to derive whenever needed.

realanswers said:
how the triangle on the bottom with sides indicated in green is the same as the triangle on top
Label the points
O centre of circle
C point of contact with ground below O
P mass on circumference
Drop perpendicular from P to meet OC at Q.
Can you see that PQC is congruent to both of the small triangles?

1. What are coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel?

The coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel refer to the position of that point in relation to the center of the wheel. These coordinates are typically represented by an x-y coordinate system, with the center of the wheel as the origin (0,0).

2. How do you calculate the coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel?

The coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel can be calculated using the formula x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), where r is the radius of the wheel and θ is the angle of rotation. This formula is based on the trigonometric functions cosine and sine.

3. What is the relationship between the coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel and its angular velocity?

The coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel are directly affected by the angular velocity of the wheel. As the wheel rotates faster, the point will cover a larger distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a change in its coordinates.

4. How do the coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel change over time?

The coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel will change over time as the wheel continues to rotate. The rate of change will depend on the angular velocity of the wheel and the initial position of the point on the wheel.

5. What is the significance of knowing the coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel?

Knowing the coordinates of a point on a rotating wheel is important in understanding the motion and position of the wheel. It can also be useful in various engineering and mathematical applications, such as calculating the speed and acceleration of the wheel.