How Long Does It Take for a Cop to Catch a Speeder?

In summary: The equation for the cop is therefore...d1 = v_0t + frac{at^2}{2}=60km/h \cdot t \ s = \frac{60}{3.6}t \ s \\ d2 = 5(t-1)^2The equation for the speeder remains the same.
Rectifier
Gold Member
This problem was translated from Swedish, sorry for any grammatical errors present.

1. The problem
A cop sets up a radar trap. A speeder passes the policeman and continues going at ##60km/h## even though the maximal allowed speed is ##50km/h##. The cop starts accelerating at ##5 m/s^2## directly (without reaction-time) . The speeder does not notie anything and continues at the same speed.

a) how many seconds does it take for the policeman to reach the speeder
b) If the speeder has a constant velocity v and the cop has a constant acceleration a, find an expression for the time it takes for the cop to reach the speeder.
c) Now, assume that the cop ( in a) ) has a reaction time of ##1## second (chase starts one second later). Find a quadratic equation and solve it to find the time it takes for the cop to reach the speeder.​

Homework Equations

## d = v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2} ##
1km = 1000m
1h = 3600secs

3. The attempt
a)

With the help of ## d = v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2} ## I construct two equations:
## d_1 = v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}=60km/h \cdot t \ s = \frac{60}{3.6}m/s \cdot t \ s \\ d_2 = \frac{5t^2}{2} ##

the cop reaches the speeder when ##d_1 = d_2##
##d_1 = d_2 \\ \frac{60}{3.6}t = \frac{5t^2}{2} \\ \frac{5t^2}{2}-\frac{60}{3.6}t = 0 \\ t(\frac{5t}{2}-\frac{60}{3.6}) = 0 \\ t_1 = 0 \\ t_2: \\ \frac{5t}{2}- \frac{60}{3.6}=0 \\ t_2=\frac{2 \cdot 60}{3.6 \cdot 5}=6.667... \ sec ##

The cop reaches speeder at t=6.667. ##t_1## is the moment when speeder passes the cop in the beginning.

b) expression
## \frac{vt}{3.6} = \frac{at^2}{2} \\ \frac{at^2}{2}-\frac{vt}{3.6} = 0 \\ t(\frac{at}{2}-\frac{v}{3.6}) = 0 \\ t_1 = 0 \\ t_2 : \\ \frac{at}{2} = \frac{v}{3.6} \\ t_2 = \frac{2v}{3.6a} =\frac{v}{1.8a} ##

A test for v=60 and a=5 gives us:
## t_2 = \frac{v}{1.8a} = \frac{60}{1.8 \cdot 5}=6.667... ##

c)
The policeman starts 1 second later. The graph would then move one second to the right.

The equation for the cop is therefore

## d_1 = v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}=60km/h \cdot t \ s = \frac{60}{3.6}t \ s \\ d_2 = \frac{5(t-1)^2}{2} ##

The equation for the speeder stays the same

##d_1 =d_2## gives

##d_1 = d_2 \\ \frac{60}{3.6}t = \frac{5(t-1)^2}{2} \\ \frac{5(t-1)^2}{2} - \frac{60}{3.6}t = 0 \\
(5 t^2)/2-5 t+5/2- \frac{60}{3.6}t = 0 \\ ##
Wolfram gives me ## t_1 = 0.116963 ## and ## t_2 = 8.5497 ##
:))

I was expecting to get ##t_1 = 0## and t_2 like ##7.7## or something.

Am I doing something wrong here? Please help :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The equation for the cop is therefore...

Have a think about that bit again. You have added subtracted 1 second to the part of the equation that deals with the acceleration of the cop. That's not correct, he doesn't accelerate for an extra second less time. The extra second occurs before he starts to accelerate.

Last edited:
Likes Rectifier
CWatters said:
Have a think about that bit again. You have added subtracted 1 second to the part of the equation that deals with the acceleration of the cop. That's not correct, he doesn't accelerate for an extra second. The extra second occurs before he starts to accelerate.
So in other words I should not count with t_1 since its <1, am I right?

Not sure I understand your #3

I would have written...

d1 = distance traveled in one second + distance traveled in the time t

What is the concept of "Cops vs speeder - time"?

The concept of "Cops vs speeder - time" involves the comparison of the speed and time of a police officer and a speeding vehicle in a pursuit or chase scenario. It is commonly seen in movies and TV shows, but also occurs in real-life police pursuits.

How do police officers determine the speed of a vehicle?

Police officers use a variety of methods to determine the speed of a vehicle, such as radar guns, LIDAR guns, and pacing. These tools measure the time it takes for a vehicle to travel a certain distance and calculate the speed based on that information.

What factors can affect the outcome of a "Cops vs speeder - time" scenario?

The outcome of a "Cops vs speeder - time" scenario can be affected by various factors, such as the speed and maneuverability of the vehicles involved, the experience and training of the police officers, and the road and weather conditions. Other factors, such as traffic and bystanders, can also play a role in the outcome.

How important is timing in a police pursuit?

Timing is crucial in a police pursuit as it can determine the success or failure of apprehending a suspect. If the police officers are unable to catch up to the speeding vehicle in time, the suspect may escape. Similarly, if the officers are able to time their moves correctly, they may be able to stop the vehicle and end the pursuit quickly.

How does the concept of "Cops vs speeder - time" relate to real-life police work?

The concept of "Cops vs speeder - time" is often portrayed in movies and TV shows for entertainment purposes, but it also has relevance in real-life police work. Police officers are trained to use their time and speed effectively in pursuits to minimize danger and bring suspects to justice. However, the safety of the public and the officers is always the top priority in these scenarios.