Coriolis and Foucault Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of the Coriolis effect and the Foucault pendulum. It is explained that these phenomena are due to non-inertial forces present in a rotating frame of reference. The effects of these forces are not usually noticeable in our daily lives on Earth due to the stronger effects of gravity, but they can be observed on a larger scale in wind and ocean currents. The conversation also touches on the topic of air travel and how it can be affected by winds and air traffic control.
jose
I guess this question is very easy, but after it occurred to me, it has been torturing me for quite a while.

I don't understand how the Coriolis effect and Foucault pendulum work. I thought everything inside the Earth was moving along with it (inertia).

If we are in a moving train, and throw a ball to the floor, the floor is moving along with the train. Why the same doesn't apply to the Foucault pendulum and to big masses of water?

Thanks,
Jose

Physics news on Phys.org
For the sake of simplicity, consider a Foucault pendulum fixed at one of the geographical poles of the earth. Neglect friction where the string is tied.

We can consider the pendulum to be swinging in a fixed plane with respect to any inertial frame of reference (the absolute space of a Newton) with respect to which the Earth rotates. There is no reason for the pendulum to do otherwise. From the earth, then, it will look like as if the plane of swing is rotating.

If you take a frame of reference fixed to the earth, then we have to consider non-inertial forces arising out of the rotation of the earth, one of which is the Coriolis force which acts on a body moving with respect to the earth, and it makes the pendulum move exactly so.

We observe balls moving in trains for short distances and times only, and so it seems to us that the ball is not being subject to these non-inertial forces. On a long run, the deviations will become more evident.

For big rivers, one side of the bank gets more eroded than the other because of the Coriolis force, since the water is a moving in a rotating frame of reference and tends to go sidewise. For big masses of water like the oceans, there are more forces to be taken into consideration than what has been briefly outlined above.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you shooting star. I wasn't aware that there were non-inertial forces, and that idea troubles me a little bit.

Say I am in a train which travels really fast. If I attach a pendulum to the train (I don't start to swing it) ... I will expect the string to fall at 90degrees with regards to the roof (since it's not accelerating). Where are the non-inertial forces? I thought that the non-existance of non-inertial forces is what allows us to walk on an airplane, and on Earth, which is rotating ~1000mph.

If you have a pointer of literature for this, I would appreciate it.

Non-inertial forces are present in any accelerating system of reference, the rotating frame being a subgroup. The effects are not due to the velocity but due to the vector acceleration. The train, if it is moving uniformly in a straight line, is almost equivalent to an initial frame of reference, and the deviations would be too slight to measure ordinarily. This is why you can walk around in the trains and the planes. If for example, you ride the train a full circle around the equator, you will certainly notice the cumulative effects of the deviations from the behavior in an initial frame of reference. When a plane or train banks, the centrifugal effects are immediately only too apparent. The non-inertial effects at the surface of the earth, in our daily lives, are overwhelmed by the far stronger effects due to gravity. A falling body is deflected sideways, which we do not generally notice over the distances we watch bodies fall.

However, on a large scale, wind and ocean currents, giving rise to the cyclonic storms as well as “the global conveyor” is directly related to the rotation of the earth. These are very noticeable things. The big cyclones spin in opposite directions in opposite hemispheres.

As a thought experiment, imagine yourself fixed to the frame of a disk rotating with respect to an IFR, and a particle is static somewhere in the plane. There is nothing to explain here. Now make your frame of reference the one which is rigidly attached to the disk. Now the particle is in a circular orbit about the centre of the disk. The combination of all the non-inertial forces is what is making the particle move about in a circular trajectory in the disk frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_force
http://www.physics.orst.edu/~mcintyre/coriolis/
http://cseligman.com/text/physics/fictitious.htm

Hi Jose! :smile:
jose said:
If we are in a moving train, and throw a ball to the floor, the floor is moving along with the train.

… and so we are an inertial observer … the physics is the same, and the ball behaves exactly as if the train were stationary. :smile:
Yes … but it doesn't if the train is going in a circle, does it (there'll be a centrifugal force and a Coriolis force )? :wink:

And a train going along (or stationary on!) a straight track East-West is really going round in a very large circle of latitude! :biggrin:

oh wow.. that's very interesting...

So I know airplanes coming from Asia to the US take longer than planes going from the US to Asia. Is this because winds, Coriolis, or both? :P

Thanks a lot guys.

just wind …

jose said:
oh wow.. that's very interesting...

So I know airplanes coming from Asia to the US take longer than planes going from the US to Asia. Is this because winds, Coriolis, or both? :P

Thanks a lot guys.

Hi jose! :smile:

It's just wind! :redface:

(and probably air traffic control as well! :wink:)

1. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to the Foucault pendulum?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which objects moving in a straight line appear to curve due to the rotation of the Earth. This effect is responsible for the direction of rotation of the Foucault pendulum, as the pendulum's path is affected by the Earth's rotation.

2. How does the Foucault pendulum demonstrate the Earth's rotation?

The Foucault pendulum swings back and forth in a fixed plane, but as the Earth rotates beneath it, the plane of its swing appears to rotate. This is because of the Coriolis effect, which causes the pendulum's path to rotate as the Earth rotates.

3. What factors affect the direction and rate of rotation of the Foucault pendulum?

The direction and rate of rotation of the Foucault pendulum are affected by the latitude at which it is located, the mass and length of the pendulum, and the rate of the Earth's rotation. The pendulum will rotate clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

4. Can the Coriolis effect and the rotation of the Foucault pendulum be observed in the Southern Hemisphere?

Yes, the Coriolis effect and the rotation of the Foucault pendulum can be observed in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. However, the direction of rotation will be opposite in the two hemispheres due to the Coriolis effect.

5. How is the Coriolis effect and the Foucault pendulum used in scientific research and education?

The Coriolis effect and the Foucault pendulum have been used in scientific research to study the Earth's rotation and its effect on weather patterns and ocean currents. In education, they are often used as a visual demonstration of the Earth's rotation and as a tool to teach concepts such as angular momentum and the conservation of energy.