Alternative Approach to Solving Foucault's Pendulum Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative approach to solving the behavior of Foucault's pendulum by making four assumptions and focusing on the behavior of the angular momentum. The approach uses the time average of the angular momentum vector during one oscillation to observe its rotation and calculates the number of oscillations required to complete one rotation of the plane. There is a discussion about the mathematical rigor of this method, with one person arguing that it is a tautology.
hacivat
TL;DR Summary
An alternative method to solve Foucault's pendulum. But how can I justify this approach?
In many standard texts the behavior of Foucault’s pendulum is solved by adding the Coriolis force term to equation of motion and deriving two coupled differential equations. Here’s an alternative approach:

4 assumptions are made:
  • Mathematical pendulum (point mass attached to massless rigid rod)
  • No dissipative terms
  • Small angle oscillations
  • Rotation period of the oscillation plane is very large with respect to the period of the oscillations.
Assumption 1, 2 & 3 leads to simple harmonic motion which is described by the equation
$$ \theta=\theta_0\sin{\omega t} $$
where ##\theta## is the pendulum’s angle with the vertical, ##\theta_0## is the amplitude of the oscillation and
$$ \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{d}} $$
##g## being the gravitational acceleration and ##d## being the length of the rod.

This is all standard stuff.

Now, after this point I write the angular momentum with respect to the hanging point and focus on the behavior of the angular momentum.

$$ L=mvd=md^2\dot{\theta}=md^2\omega\theta_0\cos{\omega t} $$

During oscillations angular momentum vector oscillates back and forth in a periodic manner. The vector changes its magnitude and sign as seen from the above equation but stays on a line which is perpendicular to the oscillation plane.

However, in each oscillation this line will be slightly changing its direction because of the torque created by the Coriolis force. Here I take the time average of the magnitude of the angular momentum vector during one oscillation which can be written as

$$ \langle L \rangle = md^2\omega \theta_0\frac{2}{\pi}$$

the last term coming from the time average of the absolute value of the trigonometric function over a period. I did this because I want to “create” a vector representing the plane of oscillation which I can act the slight change caused by the Coriolis torque and observe its rotation.

Resim1.png

It is fairly easy to calculate the magnitude of ##\Delta L## by integrating the Coriolis torque over one period. And since we made the assumption 4, the circumference of the circle where the tip of the average angular momentum vector is moving could be approximated by the sum of these small ##\Delta L##’s.

To calculate ##\Delta L## we need to write the torque caused by the Coriolis term and integrate it over one oscillation period.

$$ \tau=2\Omega vmd =\frac{dL}{dt}$$

## \Omega ## being the rotation rate of the coordinate frame. If we substitute ## v ## and integrate over one period we get the following expression for ##\Delta L##:

$$ \Delta L=2\Omega md^2\theta_0\omega \int_{\frac{T}{2}}^{-\frac{T}{2}} \cos{\omega t} \, dt = 4 \Omega md^2\theta_0 $$

Now if we divide the circumference of the above circle by ## \Delta L ## we can get the number of oscillations to complete one rotation of the plane which is:

$$ \frac{md^2\omega\theta_0\frac{2}{\pi}2\pi}{4\Omega m d^2 \theta_0}=\frac{\omega}{\Omega} $$

This expression could also be written in terms of periods and is basically the same result from what we get from the orthodox solutions of the problem.

So my question: is this method justifiable in terms of mathematical rigor since use of time “average” angular momentum vector was purely coming from my physical insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
hacivat said:
So my question: is this method justifiable in terms of mathematical rigor since use of time “average” angular momentum vector was purely coming from my physical insight?
No: your result is a tautology: ## n = \dfrac \omega {2\pi} ## and ## N = \dfrac \Omega {2\pi} ## by definition so ## \dfrac n N = \dfrac \omega \Omega ## tells us nothing.

Sorry, I should have made last point more clear: what it tells us that this ratio ##\omega/\Omega## is the number of oscillations required to complete one cycle of the plane rotation. From this since you know the period of SHM as ##2\pi/\omega = T## you can get the period of the plane rotation as ##\omega T/\Omega = 2\pi/\Omega##.

I hope this clarifies the situation. If you prefer to refer to this as tautology, it means the approach is valid right? So rephrase my question: Is there a sort of justification for working with "time average" angular momentum vector as described in my original post.

hacivat said:
Sorry, I should have made last point more clear: what it tells us that this ratio ##\omega/\Omega## is the number of oscillations required to complete one cycle of the plane rotation.
It was clear the first time round, stating it again doesn't make it any more clear or any less tautological. Can you not see that by defining
hacivat said:
## \Omega ## being the rotation rate of the coordinate frame.
you are defining ##\omega/\Omega## as the number of oscillations required to complete one cycle of the plane rotation?

hacivat said:
I hope this clarifies the situation. If you prefer to refer to this as tautology, it means the approach is valid right?
No it doesn't.

pbuk said:
you are defining ω/Ω as the number of oscillations required to complete one cycle of the plane rotation?
No, I am not, I am coming to the conclusion that it is so by dividing the circumference of the circle to ##\Delta L##

hacivat said:
## \Omega ## being the rotation rate of the coordinate frame.

I start by the definition of Coriolis force. The ##\Omega## was first introduced there. I am not sure what is your point really? May be you should elaborate your objection please.

You treat L as one-dimensional quantity when you introduce it but then have delta_L orthogonal to it.
Similarly, Omega and v won't be orthogonal to each other in general but then you replace v by scalars.
It looks like a possible approach but these parts should be fixed. See if you can reproduce the usual result for the change of the angle over a day.

Likes pbuk and dextercioby
Actually the original olympiad preperation question was an equivalent problem represented below:
Resim2.png

Magnetic field from below, charged bob with mass m. There is no Earth rotation so no Coriolis term but an equivalent Lorentz force perpendicular to the plane and proportional to the velocity. The question asks to derive the period of the plane rotation. So it is an equivalent problem. The only assumption stated in this problem was to take ##\frac{d}{g}<<{(\frac{m}{qB})}^2##

So I came up with the above solution instead of the traditional approach and found the oscillation period of the plane as ##\frac{4\pi m}{qB}##. And after that I checked whether it also gives the same result with the ordinary Foucault pendulum and got the correct rotation period as stated above.

So I am pretty sure it gives the correct result. My only concern is its mathematical rigour.

1. What is an alternative approach to solving Foucault's Pendulum behavior?

An alternative approach to solving Foucault's Pendulum behavior is to use the Coriolis effect, which is the apparent deflection of an object's path due to the rotation of the Earth. This effect can be used to explain the behavior of the pendulum without the need for complex mathematical equations.

2. How does the Coriolis effect explain the behavior of Foucault's Pendulum?

The Coriolis effect causes the pendulum to appear to change its direction of swing as the Earth rotates underneath it. This is due to the fact that the Earth's rotation creates a force that acts on the pendulum, causing it to deviate from its original path.

3. Can the alternative approach be used to accurately predict the behavior of Foucault's Pendulum?

Yes, the alternative approach using the Coriolis effect can accurately predict the behavior of Foucault's Pendulum. In fact, it is often considered a more intuitive and simpler explanation compared to the original mathematical approach.

4. Are there any limitations to using the alternative approach to solving Foucault's Pendulum behavior?

One limitation of the alternative approach is that it only works for pendulums located at the Earth's equator. The Coriolis effect is strongest at the equator and decreases as you move towards the poles, so the alternative approach may not accurately predict the behavior of pendulums in other locations.

5. How does the alternative approach impact our understanding of Foucault's Pendulum?

The alternative approach using the Coriolis effect provides a simpler and more intuitive explanation for the behavior of Foucault's Pendulum. It also highlights the importance of considering external factors, such as the Earth's rotation, when studying physical phenomena. This approach can also be used to further explore the relationship between the Earth's rotation and other objects in motion.