Corner signularity for elliptic PDE

In summary, the weak singularity at the corners in spectral element methods can affect the convergence rate depending on the choice of the source function. This is due to the discontinuity in the solution derivative at the corners, and can be studied further using the theory of singularities in partial differential equations. There are also techniques that can be used to improve the convergence rate near the corners.
the_wolfman
I'm using spectral element methods to numerical solve a non-linear pde

[itex]D \psi = f\left(x,\psi \right) [/itex]

in a rectangular domain, with [itex] \psi = 0 [/itex] Here D is a second order elliptic operator.

I've found that the rate of convergence of my method depends on my choice of the functional form of my source [itex]f\left(x,\psi \right) [/itex]. In some cases the error decreases geometrically as expected, but other choices result in reduced algebraic convergence. In the cases where algebraic convergence is observed, the error is dominated by the elements in the corners. This leads me to believe, that the reduced rate of convergence is due to the weak singularity at the corners. However, I'd still like to understand why for some choices of my source the weak singularity at the corners is important, and for other choices of my source it is not.

Qualitatively, I understand why a sharp corner is ill-behaved. But I really don't know where to being analysing
the problem.

Can anybody shed some light on how this singularity arises, even in the simple case where f=1. Or does anybody know a few good references that explain this problem in detail?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to first commend you for your thorough analysis of the convergence rate of your spectral element method. This is an important step in understanding the behavior of your numerical solution and can lead to improvements in your method.

The weak singularity at the corners is a common issue in numerical methods, and it arises due to the discontinuity in the derivative of the solution at the corners. This discontinuity is not captured accurately by the spectral element method, which uses polynomial basis functions to approximate the solution.

To understand why the choice of the source function affects the convergence rate, we need to look at the behavior of the solution near the corners. For a simple case where f=1, the solution \psi will have a singularity at the corners, which can be approximated by a power law. The exponent of this power law depends on the choice of the source function f. If f is a smooth function, the exponent will be smaller, resulting in a weaker singularity and a faster convergence rate. However, if f has a singularity at the corners, the exponent will be larger, resulting in a stronger singularity and a slower convergence rate.

To analyze this problem in more detail, I recommend looking into the theory of singularities in partial differential equations. A good reference for this topic is the book "Singularities of Solutions of Second-Order Quasilinear Equations" by Vladimir Maz'ya.

In addition, there are some techniques that can be used to improve the convergence rate near the corners, such as using higher order basis functions or implementing special treatments for the corners. These techniques are discussed in the paper "Spectral element methods for singularly perturbed problems" by D. J. Knezevic and M. Ainsworth.

I hope this helps shed some light on the issue of weak singularities at the corners in your spectral element method. Keep up the good work in your research!

1. What is a corner singularity in elliptic PDE?

A corner singularity in elliptic PDE refers to a point on the boundary of a domain where the solution to the PDE becomes singular or non-smooth. This can occur when the boundary has a sharp corner or a cusp, leading to a discontinuity in the solution.

2. How does a corner singularity affect the solution of an elliptic PDE?

A corner singularity can significantly impact the solution of an elliptic PDE, as it causes discontinuities or non-smoothness in the solution. This can make it more challenging to accurately approximate the solution and can also affect the convergence rate of numerical methods.

3. What are some examples of problems with corner singularities in elliptic PDE?

Some common examples of problems with corner singularities in elliptic PDE include Laplace's equation and Poisson's equation on domains with sharp corners or cusps. These problems arise in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

4. How do scientists handle corner singularities in elliptic PDE?

There are several approaches to handling corner singularities in elliptic PDE, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and special techniques such as singularity subtraction. These methods aim to accurately approximate the solution while minimizing the impact of the singularity on the convergence rate.

5. Can corner singularities be avoided in elliptic PDE?

In general, it is not possible to completely avoid corner singularities in elliptic PDE, as they arise from the geometry of the problem. However, they can be reduced or minimized by using appropriate meshing strategies, adaptive methods, or techniques that regularize the solution near the singularity.