Corollaries of Lorentz Invariance: Overview & Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the common belief that Lorentz invariance is equivalent to special relativity, but there are arguments against this. It also mentions non-obvious corollaries of Lorentz invariance that can be used to test for violations or make conclusions about physical systems. However, without specific references, it is difficult to discuss these points further. The person seeking clarification mentions reading about these topics in a physics blog and an arXiv preprint, but does not have the specific sources at hand.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
I've commonly heard it said that Lorentz invariance is equivalent to saying that special relativity is obeyed, although I also recall discussions arguing that this is not precisely and technically correct, although the two concepts heavily overlap.

I also understand that Lorentz invariance has a number of non-obvious corollaries that could be used either as alternative tests of Lorentz invariance violation or alternatively could be used assuming Lorentz invariance to make conclusions about physical systems. But, I don't recall what any of those non-obvious corollaries are.

Could someone clarify either of these points?

Physics news on Phys.org
ohwilleke said:
I've commonly heard it said

Please give specific references.

I think I read it a post at a widely read physics blog, but don't recall if it was Sabine's or Lubos's or 4Gravitons or someone else's (not something for a popular readership like Discovery or Quanta or Popular Science or Science News), either in the main post or the comments, written by someone who practices in the field (the blog author). Honestly, I think it was Sabine's Backreaction blog, but I can't find the original place where I read it, which is why I asked here. It could be that I am confusing this with Poincare invariance and generalized co-variance or something like that.

Re the corollaries of Lorentz invariance, it was in the body text of an arXiv preprint that I accidentally erased the bookmark to, hence again, a question here. I also think I recall seeing it in preprints about testing for Lorentz invariance with neutrino bursts from supernovas, but again, don't have a reference at hand.

In both cases, I wish I had more specific references, but the wetware doesn't do precision citation. Maybe if I get an upgrade in my next life. ;)

ohwilleke said:
I think I read it a post at a widely read physics blog

Sorry, but (a) without a specific source it's impossible to comment, and (b) this wouldn't be a valid source anyway.

ohwilleke said:
Re the corollaries of Lorentz invariance, it was in the body text of an arXiv preprint that I accidentally erased the bookmark to, hence again, a question here

Sorry, but again, without a specific reference it's impossible to comment as the question is much too broad.

ohwilleke said:
I wish I had more specific references, but the wetware doesn't do precision citation

Understood, but the limits of PF discussion are what they are. I would suggest searching arxiv looking specifically for papers on tests of Lorentz invariance.

In the absence of specific references, this thread is closed.

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. It is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of relativity and is essential for maintaining the consistency of physical laws.

2. What are corollaries of Lorentz invariance?

Corollaries of Lorentz invariance are consequences or implications of the principle of Lorentz invariance. These include time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity, among others.

3. How does Lorentz invariance impact our understanding of time and space?

Lorentz invariance leads to the concept of spacetime, where time and space are not separate entities but are interconnected. It also allows for the idea of time dilation, where time passes differently for observers in different frames of reference.

4. Why is Lorentz invariance important in modern physics?

Lorentz invariance is essential in modern physics as it forms the basis of the theory of relativity. It also plays a crucial role in many other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics, and is necessary for the consistency of physical laws.

5. Are there any experimental evidences for Lorentz invariance?

Yes, there are numerous experimental evidences for Lorentz invariance, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment, and the observations of time dilation and length contraction in particle accelerators. These confirm the validity of Lorentz invariance and its role in our understanding of the universe.