Corrected Blow Force at Standard Conditions (from ANSI B175.2)

In summary, the conversation discussed a performance measurement test (from ANSI B175.2) used to calculate flow rate and velocity of fans. The test includes inputs such as nozzle diameter, blow force, and atmosphere conditions, and outputs including average velocity, peak theoretical velocity, and flow rate. The speaker proposed the addition of a corrected blow force output at standard conditions to provide a more accurate and standardized comparison of fan performance. This addition would also make it easier to compare fans with different nozzle diameters and accurately evaluate their power.
ckowalc
We have a blowing performance measurement test (from ANSI B175.2) we perform to calculate flow rate and velocity with. The calculation spreadsheet is attached.

The inputs are:
  • Nozzle Diameter (m)
  • blow force (N)
  • atmosphere temperature (°C)
  • atmosphere pressure (hPa)
  • atmosphere humidity (%)
  • air stream temperature (°C)
And outputs (corrected for conditions) are:
  • Average Velocity (m/s)
  • Peak Theoretical Velocity (m/s)
  • Flow Rate (m3/h)
I'd another output which would be corrected blow force (at standard conditions). This would be the blow force I would obtain if I took the same fan and tested it under the following conditions:
  • atmosphere temperature = 25°C
  • atmosphere pressure = 990 hPa
  • atmosphere humidity = 0 %
It would be easier to know which fan is most powerful (most blow force) even if you test them under different conditions. A lot of fans have different nozzle diameters and sometimes it turns out that the Flow Rate on one fan is higher but the Velocity is lower. It'd be simpler to just compare one number.

Attachments

• _ANSI Blower Blow Force Method Performance Calculation Sheet_.xlsx
    22.5 KB · Views: 466
Engineering news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of standardized conditions in order to accurately compare and measure results. The additional output of corrected blow force at standard conditions would provide a valuable metric for comparing the performance of different fans. By normalizing the conditions, we can ensure that the results are directly comparable and not influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

In addition, having this corrected blow force value would also provide a more accurate representation of the fan's true power and performance. This is especially important when evaluating fans with different nozzle diameters, as the flow rate and velocity alone may not accurately reflect the actual power of the fan.

I would suggest incorporating this corrected blow force output into the performance measurement test and spreadsheet, as it would provide a more comprehensive and standardized evaluation of the fans. It would also make it easier for users to compare and select the most powerful fan for their needs.

Thank you for sharing this valuable information and for considering my suggestion. I believe that incorporating the corrected blow force output will greatly enhance the accuracy and usefulness of the performance measurement test.

What is Corrected Blow Force at Standard Conditions?

Corrected Blow Force at Standard Conditions (CBF-SC) is a measure of the force required to compress a gas at standard conditions, typically defined as 1 atmosphere of pressure and 0 degrees Celsius.

Why is CBF-SC important in the scientific community?

CBF-SC is important because it allows for accurate and standardized comparisons of gas compression across different experiments and studies. It also helps to ensure consistency and reproducibility in scientific research.

How is CBF-SC calculated?

CBF-SC is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional at a constant temperature. The calculation takes into account the initial and final volume and pressure of the gas, as well as the temperature at which the measurement is taken.

What factors can affect CBF-SC measurements?

Several factors can affect CBF-SC measurements, including temperature, pressure, and the type of gas being compressed. Changes in these variables can alter the volume and pressure of the gas, resulting in different CBF-SC values.

How is CBF-SC used in practical applications?

CBF-SC is commonly used in various industries, such as automotive and energy, to measure the performance and efficiency of gas-powered equipment. It is also used in the research and development of new technologies that involve gas compression, such as alternative fuel sources and gas-powered engines.