Correction Of Transfer Function

In summary: Thank you for your help.In summary, according to the author, a DP sensor's vibration will cause fluctuations in pressure measurement. If the sensor is compliant, the backflow will create additional fluctuations. The author suggests smoothing the process noise before handing it to a control algorithm.
can12345
Hello everyone;
My question is regarding to velocity effect on transducer diaphragm. When fluid flow is acting to differential pressure transducer's diaphragm, the diaphragm is osculating(vibrating) and there will be fluid flow which is transverse(opposite flow,back flow) to normal fluid flow inside transfer line. This creates fluctuations on pressure measurement. However I do believe this effect on velocity, I wonder whether it is negligible. If It is, can you please give me briefly information about it. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
can12345 said:
there will be fluid flow which is transverse(opposite flow,back flow) to normal fluid flow inside transfer line. This creates fluctuations on pressure measurement. However I do believe this effect on velocity, I wonder whether it is negligible. If It is, can you please give me briefly information about it.

Good to see you're thinking about this early rather than late.

Better DP sensors have a damping adjustment that rolls off frequency response , so as to suppress that "process noise" .
Thats why you often see different model numbers on DP sensors intended for flow versus level measurement.
Long sense lines will also provide natural damping because the mass of of the fluid in the lines must be moved in order to deflect the transducer's diaphragm. So inertia in the sense line and compliance of the sensor form a natural low pass filter.
But with a highly compliant transducer like a bellows driven dial indicator
IM000592.JPG

you can wind up with a Helmholtz resonance slow enough to interact with control systems...

If you're measuring with a fast computer , make provision to smooth out the "process noise" before handing it to any control algorithm.
You'd be well advised to take a spectrum of your signal to decide what's appropriate filtering, and if you're lucky that might be 'none' .

Lastly - any motion of the dp sensor itself that's perpendicular to the plane of its diaphragm will show up as signal.
F=(Δp X area+MA) and the transducer is only aware of the sum.
So pay attention your mounting stanchions. I had to relocate lots of transmitters off structures that were not sufficiently rigid to have mechanical natural frequency above transmitter's frequency response.

Search on buffeting in flow measurement and you'll find scholarly articles aplenty.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770022156.pdf

And observe your signals real time with a recorder or frequency analyzer because " One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions."

old jim

Dear Mr. Jim,

Thank you for your response.
It's quiet scientific topic because I am just doing my thesis with DSA3307 differential pressure device which can measure 500 hz/channel. My professor just wants to know generally, what is the effect of this vibration into pressure transmission line's velocity profile? What is the influence of backflow? He wants me to find a relationship between voltage and pressure as well. Actually, This is called as unsteady pressure measurement and correlation. In literature, I didn't see anything about the effect of backflow in transfer function. He just told me that this is negligible but proof it. I checked a lot of sources but couldn't find anything.
http://www.acoustics.asn.au/conference_proceedings/ICSVS-1997/pdf/scan/sv970424.pdf
Here an example.
dsa3307_02b.jpg

can12345 said:
My professor just wants to know generally, what is the effect of this vibration into pressure transmission line's velocity profile?
One has to assume a driving pressure(noise)
then apply that function to the mechanical system of the transmitting sense line, as in that paper you linked
and see what arrives at the sensor

so :
are the sense lines filled with compressible or incompressible fluid ?
What is its mass?
What is displacement vs pressure of the sensor at end of that sense line?
Now you have a spring-mass-damper system that'll lend itself to analysis just as in harmonic motion physics homework problems(see conclusions paragraph).

that seems to be the thrust of that paper.
You can design your sense lines to avoid resonance in your frequency range of interest, or just demonstrate there are none..

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and can be used to analyze the behavior of the system.

2. Why is it important to correct a transfer function?

Correction of a transfer function is important because it allows for accurate analysis and prediction of the system's behavior. It takes into account any external factors or disturbances that may affect the system's response, resulting in a more precise representation of the system.

3. How is a transfer function corrected?

There are several methods for correcting a transfer function, including pole-zero cancellation, gain adjustment, and frequency response shaping. These methods involve manipulating the transfer function to account for any discrepancies or errors in the original function.

4. When should a transfer function be corrected?

A transfer function should be corrected whenever it is necessary to improve the accuracy of the system's analysis or prediction. This could be due to changes in the system, external disturbances, or errors in the original transfer function.

5. What are the benefits of correcting a transfer function?

Correcting a transfer function can result in more accurate analysis and prediction of the system's behavior, leading to better decision-making and problem-solving. It can also improve the overall performance and stability of the system by accounting for any external factors or disturbances.