Cos(-pi/4) & Sec(pi/4): What's the Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of the expressions 1/cos(pi/4) and cos(-pi/4) and explains that they are both correct due to the symmetry of the cosine function. The concept of even functions and the graph of the cosine function are also mentioned. The conversation ends with an invitation to ask for clarification if needed.
ryanuser
Why 1 divided by cos(pi/4)=cos(-pi/4)?
Is it wrong to say 1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi ryan:

Is it wrong to say 1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4)?​
1/cos(pi/4)=sec(pi/4) is correct.

Why 1 divided by cos(pi/4)=cos(-pi/4)?​
I think you are asking: Why is the following correct?
1/cos(pi/4) = 1/cos(-pi/4)?​
If this is what you are asking, the reason that is correct is because
cos(pi/4) = cos(-pi/4),​
which is because
the cos function is symmetrical,​
and because
the reciprocal of two equal numbers will be equal.​

I hope this is helpful.

BTW: The title of the thread does not match your question. The inverse of the cos is the arccos, which is not the same as the reciprocal, 1/cos.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Thanks you

Buzz Bloom said:
BTW: The title of the thread does not match your question. The inverse of the cos is the arccos, which is not the same as the reciprocal, 1/cos.
The thread title is now "Reciprocal of cos".

Hello,

1/cos(pi/4) is not equal to cos(-pi/4). Cos(-pi/4) is equal to cos(pi/4). It is because cos function is an even function and it produces same answer to negative and positive values. I can give you a simple reason that 0 and 2pi is same in angles and 0-pi/4 is same as 2pi-pi/4 if you see graph paper, rotate a line from positive X-axis in anti-clock wise direction it lies in fourth quadrant. Now, you see x co-ordinate is positive and hypotenuse is length so it's positive. Hence, base/hypotenuse is positive.

I hope this one helps and if any other query regarding my answer please ask.

1. What is the value of cos(-pi/4)?

The value of cos(-pi/4) is approximately 0.707, also known as the square root of 2 divided by 2. This value represents the cosine of the angle -pi/4, which is equivalent to a 45 degree angle in the fourth quadrant of a unit circle.

2. What is the value of sec(pi/4)?

The value of sec(pi/4) is approximately 1.414, also known as the square root of 2. This value represents the secant of the angle pi/4, which is equivalent to a 45 degree angle in the first quadrant of a unit circle.

3. What is the difference between cos(-pi/4) and sec(pi/4)?

The main difference between cos(-pi/4) and sec(pi/4) is that they represent different trigonometric functions. Cosine is a ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while secant is a ratio of the hypotenuse to the adjacent side. Additionally, cos(-pi/4) represents an angle in the fourth quadrant, while sec(pi/4) represents an angle in the first quadrant.

4. Can the values of cos(-pi/4) and sec(pi/4) be simplified?

Yes, both values can be simplified to 1/√2. This simplification is possible because the cosine and secant of pi/4 are complementary trigonometric functions, meaning they have the same value when added to the other angle in a right triangle.

5. How are cos(-pi/4) and sec(pi/4) related to each other?

Cos(-pi/4) and sec(pi/4) are related by the reciprocal identity, which states that the cosine and secant of an angle are inverses of each other. In other words, cos(-pi/4)*sec(pi/4) = 1. This relationship can also be seen in the unit circle, where the x-coordinate (cosine) and the reciprocal of the y-coordinate (secant) are symmetrical about the line y=x.