Couette Flow in a Tank | Solving Boundary Conditions

• Thread starter maxtor101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Tank
In summary, we have discussed the approach to solving the velocity field for a closed tank filled with water and a moving plate. We have clarified the form of the velocity field, the importance of the pressure term in the Navier-Stokes equation, and the boundary conditions that can be imposed. We have also provided some suggestions for solving the problem.
maxtor101

Homework Statement

Consider a closed tank filled with water, with depth h. A plate on the surface moves horizontally with constant velocity U

(Excuse my poor diagram)

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity field:

[tex] \mathbf{v} = w(z) \mathbf{i} [/tex]

[tex] \rho \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial p}{\partial x} + \mu \frac{\partial^2w}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

Since flow is due to moving plane and not pressure gradient p=const

Also since velocity is constant

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

Hence

[tex]\frac{\partial^2w}{\partial z^2}[/tex]

So w will be of the form

[tex] w(z) = Az + B [/tex]

This is where I'm stuck, I'm not sure what boundary conditions to impose

I have the obvious one first

[tex] w(h) = U [/tex]

Therefore

[tex] B = U - Ah [/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• flow.png
    flow.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to provide some clarification and suggestions for your problem.

Firstly, your approach to solving the velocity field using the Navier-Stokes equation is correct. However, there are a few points that need to be addressed.

1. The velocity field should be in the form of \mathbf{v} = w(z) \mathbf{i} + u(x,y) \mathbf{j} + v(x,y) \mathbf{k}, where u and v are the velocities in the x and y directions, respectively. In this case, since the plate is moving horizontally, u will be constant and v will be zero. So the final velocity field will be \mathbf{v} = w(z) \mathbf{i} + u \mathbf{j}.

2. The pressure term in the Navier-Stokes equation, -\frac{\partial p}{\partial x}, should not be neglected. It is true that the flow is mainly driven by the moving plate, but there will still be a pressure gradient due to the water's weight and the boundary conditions at the tank's walls.

3. You are correct in assuming that the time derivative of w is zero since the plate's velocity is constant. However, the time derivative of u and v should also be zero since there is no change in the velocity in the x and y directions.

4. As for the boundary conditions, you have correctly identified that w(h) = U. But there are two more conditions that we can impose: u = 0 at all points since there is no motion in the x direction, and v = 0 at the tank's walls since there is no flow through the walls.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Best of luck!

1. What is Couette flow in a tank?

Couette flow in a tank is a type of fluid flow where a layer of fluid is sandwiched between two parallel plates. One plate is stationary, while the other is moving with a constant velocity. This creates a shear stress on the fluid, causing it to move in a specific pattern.

2. How do you solve boundary conditions for Couette flow in a tank?

Boundary conditions for Couette flow in a tank can be solved by applying the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid, along with the appropriate boundary conditions. These boundary conditions include the no-slip condition at the walls, which states that the fluid velocity at the walls is equal to the velocity of the walls, as well as the continuity equation, which ensures that the fluid flows continuously without any gaps or overlaps.

3. What factors affect Couette flow in a tank?

The main factors that affect Couette flow in a tank are the fluid properties, such as density and viscosity, the distance between the two plates, and the velocity of the moving plate. Additionally, the presence of any external forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields, can also have an impact on the flow.

4. What are the applications of Couette flow in a tank?

Couette flow in a tank has various applications in engineering and science. It is commonly used in rheology, the study of the flow and deformation of materials, to measure the viscosity of fluids. It is also used in the design of heat exchangers and lubrication systems, as well as in the manufacturing of microfluidic devices and in the study of ocean currents.

5. How does Couette flow differ from other types of fluid flow?

Couette flow is a type of laminar flow, which means that the fluid moves in well-defined layers with little to no mixing between them. In contrast, turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic and unpredictable motion. Additionally, Couette flow is a special case of shear flow, where the fluid is sheared between two surfaces, while in other types of flow, such as Poiseuille flow, the fluid is pushed or pulled by pressure differences.