Could firewalls be real and black holes a chimera? (Hewitt)

In summary, the paper suggests that there are no black holes in M theory, and that a mechanism to prevent their formation is needed in order to make string theory a viable high energy model of quantum gravity.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.03066
String condensation: Nemesis of Black Holes?
Michael Hewitt
(Submitted on 11 Oct 2015)
This paper puts forward a conjecture that there are no black holes in M theory. We will show that a mechanism to prevent black hole formation is needed in 4 dimensions to make string theory a viable high energy model of quantum gravity. Black hole formation may be averted by a gravity regulation mechanism based on string condensation. In this scenario, black holes are replaced by `hot holograms' that form during gravitational collapse. The geometric conditions based on the properties of free thermalon solutions that are proposed for conversion to a high temperature hologram to occur, however, are local and generic in dimension and could apply throughout M space. This idea can be applied to resolve the problems presented by the process of black hole evaporation, which appears to be inconsistent with quantum information theory. Whereas, in the conventional view, black holes are real and firewalls are probably a chimera, in the scenario proposed here that situation would be reversed.
11 pages; Contribution to the International Conference 'Planck 2015: From the Planck Scale to the Electroweak Scale 25-29 May 2015, Ioannina, Greece

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus what are the implications of the paper to m-theory as a candidate theory of QG? that it does not correctly describe black holes contrary to observation and is therefore not a candidate theory of quantum gravity

Kodama, I am worried about this guy's credentials. He has only published one paper, in 1993. And it has only been cited by himself, in his own unpublished papers. He does not have the recognition by colleagues or the track record of people whose work I ordinarily start a thread about. So I have been wondering if I should erase this thread. What caught my attention was the very strange idea that the firewall (which most people think is a mistaken idea, symptomatic of some flaw in theory) is real and the BH is not. What should I do? Do you think I should delete this thread because too fringe, too wacky? He is a string theorist. I do not feel qualified to judge.

marcus said:
Kodama, I am worried about this guy's credentials. He has only published one paper, in 1993. And it has only been cited by himself, in his own unpublished papers. He does not have the recognition by colleagues or the track record of people whose work I ordinarily start a thread about. So I have been wondering if I should erase this thread. What caught my attention was the very strange idea that the firewall (which most people think is a mistaken idea, symptomatic of some flaw in theory) is real and the BH is not. What should I do? Do you think I should delete this thread because too fringe, too wacky? He is a string theorist. I do not feel qualified to judge.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Hewitt2

http://www.researchgate.net/institution/Canterbury_Christ_Church_University , Canterbury

Theoretical Physics, Cosmology, Mathematical Physics
M.Sc Mathematics University of Kent BA Mathematics University of Oxford
Follow Researcher
First degree Mathematics, University of Oxford 1977
MSc Mathematics University of Kent 1980

Research interests: String theory, black holes, cosmology, quantum information theory
  • Supersymmetry
  • Theoretical Particle Physics
  • Quantum Field Theory
  • Gravitational Physics
  • String Theory
  • Astrophysics
  • STRING
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • Mathematical Physics
  • Special and General Relativity
  • General Relativity
  • Theoretical High Energy Physics
  • High Energy Physics Theory
  • Field Theory

perhaps any string theorists here can volunteer a comment?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Could firewalls and black holes coexist?

There is currently no scientific evidence or theory to suggest that firewalls and black holes can coexist. Firewalls are hypothetical structures that have been proposed to exist at the event horizon of a black hole, while black holes are well-studied objects in the universe with strong supporting evidence.

2. What is a firewall?

A firewall is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that the event horizon of a black hole may have an intense energy barrier that would incinerate anything that crosses it. This is in contrast with the traditional understanding that objects entering a black hole would be stretched and compressed at the singularity.

3. Are firewalls supported by evidence?

No, firewalls are a theoretical concept that has not been supported by any observational or experimental evidence. They have been proposed as a solution to the black hole information paradox, but there is currently no way to test their existence.

4. Could firewalls be the solution to the black hole information paradox?

Firewalls have been proposed as a potential solution to the black hole information paradox, which is the idea that information about matter that enters a black hole is lost forever. However, there is still much debate and research needed to determine if firewalls are a valid solution to this paradox.

5. Is the concept of a firewall widely accepted in the scientific community?

No, the concept of a firewall is still highly debated and is not widely accepted in the scientific community. There are many competing theories and ideas about the structure and behavior of black holes, and the existence of firewalls is just one of them.