Could ghosts be explained by the many-worlds theory?

In summary, a new member of a discussion forum asks if the existence of ghosts could be explained by Everett's theory of many-worlds, where different worlds exist in parallel and can only be perceived through certain frequencies. They also mention doing research on the paranormal and ask for confirmation on their theory. Other members advise against discussing ghost stories and suggest learning more about quantum theory before making assumptions.
weAre
Hi everyone

I'm new here--a first year penn state undergrad--and the extent of what i know is the popularizations of quantum physics, so i might be a little off base, and I know that what I'm about to ask is borderline unscientific, but here goes

Everett wrote his theory of the many-worlds without any mention of a physical world split, but rather on the lines of decoherence, with people only being able to pick up on certain frequencies. So, all around us, there are tons of different worlds existing, full of people, that we cannot interact with because they have been hit out of phase from us.

I've also done some research on the paranormal, and assuming that ghosts do indeed exist (PLEASE do not come on here and complain about how ghosts scientifically cannot exist), and that Everett's theory is right, would it be possible for ghosts to be some people between phases? Maybe someone was knocked out of phase with their world, and only partly appears in ours...would this be consistent with Everett's theory?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't go off into wild speculation which is against the rules here.

No offense, but first learn about quantum theory, and why Everett proposed the many-worlds interpretation of it and so on (and what problems it tries to solve, and what difficulties it faces) ; compare it to other interpretations, and make up your mind.

But refrain from ghost stories - I know it is tempting when one only has popular science books as a starting point. It leads nowhere on a scientific level.

1. Do ghosts exist in other dimensions?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts in other dimensions. While the concept of multiple dimensions is a popular theory in physics, it is still just a theory and has not been proven.

2. Can ghosts travel between parallel universes?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that ghosts have the ability to travel between parallel universes. The existence of parallel universes is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community and there is no concrete proof of their existence.

3. Are ghosts just energy or spirits?

The concept of spirits is a belief that is not supported by scientific evidence. While some may argue that ghosts are purely energy, there is no scientific explanation for how this energy would manifest as a ghost.

4. Can ghosts communicate with the living?

There is no scientific proof that ghosts have the ability to communicate with the living. The idea of paranormal communication is often attributed to psychological factors or misinterpretation of natural phenomena.

5. Why do some people claim to have seen ghosts in different forms?

There are many possible explanations for why people may claim to have seen ghosts in different forms. It could be due to psychological factors, misinterpretation of natural phenomena, or simply a belief in the paranormal. Without concrete evidence, it is difficult to determine the true nature of these sightings.