Could I get a second pair of eyes on this?

• Thread starter dangerboyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes Pair
In summary: Please do stick around and help others, when you can. You’ll find it’s a great way to solidify your own knowledge.OK. Great! Welcome to PhysicsForums. Please do stick around and help others, when you can. You’ll find it’s a great way to solidify your own knowledge.In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the correctness of an answer in regards to a hinge's force. Through the discussion, it was determined that the vertical component of the hinge's force should include the tension in its calculation. The conversation ended with the user gaining a better understanding of the concept and being welcomed to the PhysicsForums community.
dangerboyy
OP warned about not using the homework template
1. Link to problem and the answer I got - https://ibb.co/ncGfDA

2. I got an answer, but I was wondering if this is correct or not? Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?

3. I attempted my answer (hopefully finished) in the link above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dangerboyy said:
Link to full question and my answer at the bottom of text

I got an answer, but I was wondering if this is correct or not? Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?

https://ibb.co/ncGfDA
Hello @dangerboyy . :welcome:

Please use the homework template provided when you open a Thread.

For reference:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 189
Likes dangerboyy
SammyS said:
Hello @dangerboyy . :welcome:

Please use the homework template provided when you open a Thread.
Sorry, I'll keep this in mind. I'm a newby here who didn't pay enough attention to how to do the template, simply hoping my text would suffice.

edit - post is now in the proper template i believe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 217
dangerboyy said:

Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?
Not quite. Wouldn't you need to include the vertical component of FT in your calculation of (FH)y?

Likes dangerboyy
TSny said:
Not quite. Wouldn't you need to include the vertical component of FT in your calculation of (FH)y?
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't exactly sure how to get an answer if I did so. May I request guidance?

The system is in static equilibrium. So, what can you say about ΣFx and ΣFy?

Likes dangerboyy
TSny said:
The system is in static equilibrium. So, what can you say about ΣFx and ΣFy?
Well, ΣFx and ΣFy must both equal 0 in static equilibrium. How could I separate Fy in the positive direction among the cord and hinge?

edit - a light bulb turned on in my brain - Could I find Fy of the cord, then subtract from the total Fy in the positive direction to find that of the hinge?

dangerboyy said:
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't exactly sure how to get an answer if I did so. May I request guidance?

You’ve done everything correctly except when you balanced the vertical forces you forgot to include the tension. In exactly the same way you included Ft cos(30) in the horizontal forces add the vertical component into to equation with the vertical forces. It’s just one more term, and you already know the value.

Likes dangerboyy
Cutter Ketch said:
You’ve done everything correctly except when you balanced the vertical forces you forgot to include the tension. In exactly the same way you included Ft cos(30) in the horizontal forces add the vertical component into to equation with the vertical forces. It’s just one more term, and you already know the value.
Thanks! I believe I have this well understood now. Thanks to all others who helped me look past my stupidity as well. I'm brand new to this community, and this was a great first experience. Thanks

dangerboyy said:
Thanks! I believe I have this well understood now. Thanks to all others who helped me look past my stupidity as well. I'm brand new to this community, and this was a great first experience. Thanks
OK. Great! Welcome to PhysicsForums.

Likes dangerboyy

1. Can you review my work and provide feedback?

Of course, I would be happy to review your work and offer constructive feedback. Please provide me with the necessary information and materials.

2. How long will it take for you to review my work?

The time it takes for me to review your work will depend on the complexity and length of the project. I will do my best to provide a timely response, but please keep in mind that thorough reviews may take longer.

3. Will you be able to catch all of my mistakes?

I will do my best to catch all mistakes, but please keep in mind that I am also human and may miss some errors. I recommend having multiple people review your work for a more comprehensive check.

4. Can you provide suggestions for improvement?

Yes, in addition to pointing out mistakes, I can also offer suggestions for improvement. I will provide constructive criticism and offer ideas for how to make your work even better.

5. Will you be able to understand my work if it is in a specialized field?

I have a strong background in science and research, so I am familiar with technical terminology and concepts. However, if your work is highly specialized, it may be helpful to provide some background information to ensure I fully understand it.