Could Spontaneous symmetry breaking cause momentum change in an atom?

In summary: No, the aspect of the underlying law is that it is equally likely to fall in any direction. The change in momentum is due to the fact that the pencil falls in a specific direction, not because the underlying law is different.
Matthew-Champion
TL;DR Summary
If you were to fire a single atom from a fixed point into a chamber of perfect vacuum and measure where it collides with the opposite wall. Could Spontaneous symmetry breaking in the sub atomic particles cause momentum change in the atom, changing the part of the wall the atom interacted with?
If you were to fire a single atom from a fixed point into a chamber of perfect vacuum and measure where it collides with the opposite wall. Could Spontaneous symmetry breaking in the sub atomic particles cause momentum change in the atom, changing the part of the wall the atom interacted with?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Do you know what spontaneous symmetry breaking is?

Likes vanhees71
From what I've read A brief summary of how I understand it is that spontaneous symmetry breaking is a process which allows small fluctuations on a sub atomic level to affect aspects of a larger system and when occurring in a spontaneous manner these fluctuations cannot change or distort the form of the system it is occurring in. I had wondered whether through some mechanism I have not heard about the inability of a spontaneous symmetry break to change the form of say an atom could be translated into a small change in momentum. You have answered my question thank you. If you know of no way than that's good enough for me.

Matthew-Champion said:
A brief summary of how I understand it is that spontaneous symmetry breaking is a process which allows small fluctuations on a sub atomic level to affect aspects of a larger system
No, that's not what spontaneous symmetry breaking is. It can occur even in macroscopic classical systems.

For example, consider a pencil balanced on its point. There is rotational symmetry in the underlying physical law governing the pencil: it is equally likely to fall over in any direction. However, once it does fall over, it will fall over in some specific direction. So the actual outcome of the physical law in this case is not rotationally symmetric--the pencil falls in one particular direction--even though the underlying physical law is. That is spontaneous symmetry breaking: particular solutions of a physical law do not have a symmetry that the law itself has.

Thank you for the clarification. in this example If the pencil is equally likely to fall in any direction is there an aspect of the underlying law I could assign the change in momentum of the pencil to?
an equal possibility of any outcome implies the pencil was stationary at the start of the experiment and then fell?

Last edited:

1. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that is symmetric at a fundamental level exhibits a lower symmetry at a macroscopic level. This can occur due to the presence of external influences or interactions within the system.

2. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking affect atoms?

In the context of atoms, spontaneous symmetry breaking can lead to changes in the distribution of electric charge, resulting in a non-zero electric dipole moment. This can also lead to a change in the momentum of the atom, as the broken symmetry can cause a shift in the atom's center of mass.

3. Can spontaneous symmetry breaking cause momentum change in all atoms?

No, spontaneous symmetry breaking can only cause momentum change in atoms that have a non-zero electric dipole moment. This is because the broken symmetry only affects the distribution of electric charge, which is a necessary condition for a momentum change to occur.

4. Is spontaneous symmetry breaking a common occurrence in atoms?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is not a common occurrence in atoms, as it requires specific conditions and interactions within the system. However, it is a well-studied phenomenon in physics and has been observed in various systems, including atoms.

5. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a key concept in this theory, as it explains the origin of mass for certain particles and the broken symmetries in the fundamental forces of nature.