What Is the Correct Equation for the Electrolysis of NaOH and Water?

In summary, when trying to find the mass of substances added in the cathode and anode in the water electrolysis of NaOH, the mass of NaOH alone is not enough information. Instead, the amount of gases produced is determined by Faraday's law and NaOH only acts as a spectator, increasing the solution conductivity.
prishila

Homework Statement

Write the water electrolise of NaOH.

Homework Equations

NaOH+H2O->H2+O2+NaOH

The Attempt at a Solution

2NaOH+2H2o->2H2+O2+2NaOH
I thought to write 2H2O->2H2+O2
If I am given the mass of NaOH (which in one problem I am), then how am I supposed to find the mas of H2O for example?
Is it right to write this way
2NaOH+2H2o->2H2+O2+2NaOH
or
NaOH+2H2o->2H2+O2+NaOH?

Physics news on Phys.org
NaOH is just a spectator, it doesn't react. What it does it increases the solution conductivity.

Amount of gases produced doesn't depend on the amount of NaOH (at least not stoichiometrically), instead it is given by Faraday's law.

Borek said:
NaOH is just a spectator, it doesn't react. What it does it increases the solution conductivity.

Amount of gases produced doesn't depend on the amount of NaOH (at least not stoichiometrically), instead it is given by Faraday's law.
I am given the mass of NaOH 40g. I have to find the mass of substances added in cathode and anode. How can I find it?

You can't, there is not enough information.

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is passed through a substance to break it down into its component parts. This is often used to separate compounds into their individual elements.

2. Why is electrolysis used?

Electrolysis is used for a variety of reasons, including purifying metals, extracting elements from compounds, and producing gases for industrial use. It is also used in the production of batteries and other electronic devices.

3. How do you write an electrolysis equation?

An electrolysis equation is written by identifying the reactants and products in the reaction and balancing the number of atoms on each side of the equation. The reactants are typically written on the left side of the equation, with the products on the right side.

4. What are the key components of an electrolysis equation?

The key components of an electrolysis equation include the reactants, products, and the electric current used to drive the reaction. The charges and states of the reactants and products should also be included in the equation.

5. Can you provide an example of an electrolysis equation?

One example of an electrolysis equation is the breakdown of water into hydrogen and oxygen gases. This can be written as 2H2O(l) → 2H2(g) + O2(g), where the reactant water (H2O) is broken down into the products hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2) using an electric current.