Coulomb potential in hydrogen atom nomenclature

In summary, the Ze^2 refers to the proton-electron combo. The e^2 represents the proton and the neutron, and the Z is supposed to represent the number of protons, but I'm not sure how to read it. e refers to the charge sign or to the actual value of the charge in coulombs. Z multiplies the whole thing, both the proton and electron together.
DiracPool
I'm seeing a version of the potential as -Ze^2/4πεr.

My question is what exactly does the Ze^2 refer to? I think the e^2 is supposed to represent the proton and the neutron, and the Z is supposed to represent the number of protons, but I'm not sure how to read it. Does e refer to the charge sign or to the actual value of the charge in coulombs? And Z seems to multiply the whole thing, both the proton and electron together. That doesn't make sense if it's just supposed to represent how many protons there are.

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
I think the e^2 is supposed to represent the proton and the neutron
Surely you mean proton and electron?
DiracPool said:
e refer to the charge sign or to the actual value of the charge in coulombs?
The value of the charge - 1.6*10^-19 C.
DiracPool said:
And Z seems to multiply the whole thing, both the proton and electron together. That doesn't make sense
Yes it does. Bohr's model, which is what you're referring to applies to single electron species, which includes but isn't restricted to , the hydrogen atom. The force experienced by the single electron will be due to the charge of the nucleus, which is Z times the charge of a proton , which is e( in magnitude). So for hydrogen, plug in Z=1, for He+, plug in Z=2, for Li+2, plug in Z= 3 and so on.

The Coulomb potential between two charges is proportional to ##q_1 q_2##. What are ##q_1## and ##q_2## when you have one nucleus and one electron?

UncertaintyAjay said:
Surely you mean proton and electron?

Yes I did, sorry for the typo.

DrClaude said:
What are q1q_1 and q2q_2 when you have one nucleus and one electron?

This may be where I'm having the problem. q is the fundamental charge if I'm not mistaken. So 2 protons would have a Coulomb potential of +2q? Two electrons -2q? One proton and one electron would be zero? I'm not sure. If the value of the fundamental charge, e, is - 1.6*10^-19 C, then wouldn't the value of Ze^2 be that value of e squared multiplied by Z? If Z is simply the numbers of protons, why are we multiplying by that number by e^2, which implies that we are multiplying it by a proton-electron combo? I'm just not getting this..

DiracPool said:
This may be where I'm having the problem. q is the fundamental charge if I'm not mistaken.
Lets settle on a convention: the fundamental charge is ##e##, and its value in SI units is 1.6 x 10-19 C.

So, what is the charge ##q_1## of a nucleus with atomic number ##Z## (meaning it has ##Z## protons)? What is the charge ##q_2## of an electron?

That's exactly what I'm getting at. The force experienced by an electron in Bohr's model is due to the coulomb force of all the protons in the nucleus. So if you have a system with 1 proton and 1 electron, the coulomb force is e( the charge of the electron) times e( the charge of the proton) times the constant divided by the square if their distance. But suppose you have another atom, say, one with 2 protons and 1 electron( He+), then the force is the the charge of the nucleus( which is Z times e) times the charge of the electron, divided by r^2 blah blah blah. What's important is that your formula refers to atoms that necessarily have one electron but may have more than one proton in the nucleus. In such cases, the charge if the nucleus is given by Z*e.

May I correct this: the charge of an electron is -e, the charge of a proton ist +e!
Thus the Force between the two is proportional to q1*q2, or (-e)*(+e) = - e2
B.K.

May I correct this: the charge of an electron is -e, the charge of a proton ist +e!
Thus the Coulomb force between the two e.g. in a H atom is proportional to
q1*q2 = (-e)*(+e) = - e2.
Z then simply is the number of protons in a nucleus of other atoms.
B.K.

Yeah. -e. But that doesn't change the point I was trying to make. Which is how you arrive at Ze^2

1. What is Coulomb potential in hydrogen atom nomenclature?

Coulomb potential in hydrogen atom nomenclature refers to the electrostatic potential energy between a positively charged proton in the nucleus and a negatively charged electron in orbit around the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the electronic structure of atoms.

2. How is Coulomb potential related to the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

Coulomb potential is directly related to the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom. The closer the electron is to the nucleus, the stronger the Coulomb potential and the lower the energy of the electron. As the electron moves further away from the nucleus, the Coulomb potential decreases and the energy of the electron increases.

3. Is Coulomb potential the same for all atoms?

No, Coulomb potential varies for different atoms depending on the number of protons in the nucleus and the number of electrons in orbit. For hydrogen, the Coulomb potential is relatively simple due to the single proton in the nucleus and the single electron in orbit. However, for atoms with multiple protons and electrons, the Coulomb potential becomes more complex.

4. How does Coulomb potential affect the stability of an atom?

Coulomb potential plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an atom. The balance between the attractive Coulomb force between the nucleus and the electrons and the repulsive Coulomb force between the electrons themselves determines the overall stability of the atom. If the attractive force is stronger, the atom will be more stable and less likely to lose or gain electrons.

5. Can Coulomb potential be measured experimentally?

Yes, Coulomb potential can be measured experimentally using various methods, such as spectroscopy or particle accelerators. These experiments allow scientists to determine the energy levels and electron configurations of atoms, which are directly related to the Coulomb potential. These measurements are important in understanding the behavior of atoms and their interactions with other atoms or molecules.